Swap old Humax for New YouView - same multiroom setup?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
I have the following ;

- Sky + box (no subscription)
- Humax PVR-9200TBX
- Labgear MRP231 Distibution Amp
- tvLINK plus
- tvLINK Eye's around the house at each TV

I can watch and control both the Sky + and the Humax boxes with their respective controllers from every room.

The Humax is about 5-6 years old and looks to have bad sectors on the HDD as it keeps crashing / messing up recording etc.

We are therefore looking to perhaps replace the Humax with a YouView box from BT - question is - can I simply replace and continue to have the visual and EPG available around the house or do I need something extra?

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rynert wrote: »
    We are therefore looking to perhaps replace the Humax with a YouView box from BT - question is - can I simply replace and continue to have the visual and EPG available around the house or do I need something extra?
    You would need to buy a modulator as none of the later Humax boxes supply a suitable feed to the aerial out. There is, I believe an extra complication with the YouView box, the on-screen menus will be not be shown on the TVs getting the output via the modulator.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I had seen that mentioned in various places but could never get a definitive conclusion settled in my head! Would I therefore have the same problem if I got a HDR-FOX T2 instead - is it a later Humax?
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you link the existing Humax box?

If you are just connecting the 9300 using RF out, you will need to get an RF modulator - connect it to the SCART output of the Youview box. This should give you the EPG etc IF THE TV IT IS CONNECTED TO BY HDMI IS OFF.

An alternative would be to get a modulator that works from the HDMI and allows HDMI pass-through (I think such a beast exists) Obviously the RF signal will only be SD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I therefore have the same problem if I got a HDR-FOX T2 instead - is it a later Humax?
    I think the HDR-FOX T2 would work better in your scenario. It is an earlier design (getting on for three years old) than the YouView box but there are a significant number of people who think it is a better PVR than the YouView box. However the software for the YouView box is still evolving and improving so in the fullness of time it may equal or surpass the HDR-FOX T2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    An alternative would be to get a modulator that works from the HDMI and allows HDMI pass-through (I think such a beast exists) .
    I tried a quick Google that didn't turn anything up; does anyone know of such a beast?
    Forum Member
    Thank for the replies - one point that may or may not be relevant, none of my TV's have HDMI inputs.

Is the software for the HDR-FOX T2 still being developed and are the HDDs much more reliable than the 9200's?

I have 2 of the 9200's and both had the HDD failures from about 4 years on,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the software for the HDR-FOX T2 still being developed and are the HDDs much more reliable than the 9200's?
    It is still being developed but I don't think you should expect significant new functionality; it is now at the minor bug fixing stage of its life. I don't think the hard drives are much more reliable than the 9200 unfortunately (and of course all PVRs use similar hard drives). What is better is that the file system is more robust and there are tools available (via the custom firmware) to monitor the health of the hard drive and correct minor problems.
    Forum Member
    I have checked my setup so hopefully this is clearer than my initial post!

When I said we had a LabGear MRP231 that was the loft in my old house, here we have a Antiference Remote Link A280D :o

Main TV aerial => Humax PVR-9200TBX

Humax => SCART => Main TV
    Humax =>Loop Out => Sky+ Aerial In

Sky+ => SCART => Main TV
    Sky+ => RF Out 2 => tvLink Plus

tvLink plus => 2x magic eye leads => Humax
    tvLink pls => 2nd TV => UHF connection on Antiference Remote Link A280D

A280D => 5 rooms around the house.

Then using the Magic Eye thingies we can control both Humax and Sky+ from every TV - Channel 1 tuned to Humax, Channel 2 tuned to Sky +

Apologies for incorrect / lack of info - but with the full picture I guess my original question may have different answers?