Options

"That's no age!"

Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only one getting increasingly bewildered at the general rejection of the traditional attitude to human ageing? It feels like every time an elderly celebrity dies people are queuing up to opine that they were far too young to go yet. This Time Team bloke who was 66 has already attracted the, by now typical, comments of "no age to die" "still a young man" etc. Sixty six!! That's not young! :confused:

Is it just more mature people in denial about age or are we becoming a more youthful society in spirit??

Comments

• Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, its no age to die

deal with it
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relatively speaking compared to the average of death it's quite young.
    The most common age at death in England and Wales in 2010 was 85 for men and 89 for women
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/mortality-ageing/mortality-in-england-and-wales/average-life-span/rpt-average-life-span.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, its no age to die

deal with it
    I said I was bewildered not rocking back and forth in the corner of a darkened room unable to face the world because of it!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one getting increasingly bewildered at the general rejection of the traditional attitude to human ageing? It feels like every time an elderly celebrity dies people are queuing up to opine that they were far too young to go yet. This Time Team bloke who was 66 has already attracted the, by now typical, comments of "no age to die" "still a young man" etc. Sixty six!! That's not young! :confused:

Is it just more mature people in denial about age or are we becoming a more youthful society in spirit??

I used to have pratty thoughts like that in my 20s.

You'll grow out of it. Not just the wilfulness of your attitude, but the callousness, too. Well, I hope you outgrow it. Til then - best to keep your mouth shut about grown up things, eh?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure you I'll never grow out of thinking that someone in their sixties is not young :confused:
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For your average worker that would be just one year in retirement... so yes, a bit of a kick in the nuts.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt the same when people said it about my dad, who died in his fifties - at 14, it seems so old - yet I'm now only a few years younger than he was, and yes it's no age! :cool::D
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I used to have pratty thoughts like that in my 20s.

You'll grow out of it. Not just the wilfulness of your attitude, but the callousness, too. Well, I hope you outgrow it. Til then - best to keep your mouth shut about grown up things, eh?;)

Well said, Hogzilla. I DO like you. ;)
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It’s probably down to the likes of David Cameron and Co who says things like we are living to an age of 100 years so we have to put the retirement age up to compensate.:)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, looking at the death averages these days, 66 is too soon. The 70 + year-olds I know might have some aches and pains but they show no signs of being anywhere near the Grim Reaper. Some of them have more 'get up and go' than I have, at 43.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pushing forty now and sixty six is young to me! I remember in my twenties thing sixty was old but now it doesn't seem so far off and I definitely don't want to go in my sixties.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    66 is very young really, but so is 80
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Well said, Hogzilla. I DO like you. ;)

Mutual.

I read the OP and cringed for my younger self as I really did used to say and think such embarrassingly ignorant things, too.:o
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure you I'll never grow out of thinking that someone in their sixties is not young :confused:

My mum recently passed away at the ripe old age of 62 :rolleyes: forgive me for disagreeing with your notion. You may change your mind once you've grown up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe pairing the idea of death wasn't the wisest thing (especially as it's clearly a touchy subject for some more mature members who might be beginning to sweat a bit) but I think there's definitely been a shift in attitude toward ageing and it's a fair subject to discuss.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    66 is young.

Old people are clocking on some years recently, anyone who dies younger than 90 has gone far too soon.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    It’s probably down to the likes of David Cameron and Co who says things like we are living to an age of 100 years so we have to put the retirement age up to compensate.:)

Absolutely.

The fact that it is correct is neither here nor there of course :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe pairing the idea of death wasn't the wisest thing (especially as it's clearly a touchy subject for some more mature members who might be beginning to sweat a bit) but I think there's definitely been a shift in attitude toward ageing and it's a fair subject to discuss.

Possibly the shift in attitude parallels the shift in life-expectancy? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum recently passed away at the ripe old age of 62 :rolleyes: forgive me for disagreeing with your notion. You may change your mind once you've grown up a bit.
    No because I'm trying to look at it from an objective point of view. A person 60+ is simply not "young" by definition.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Blimey, I hope I make it to 66. It's not *that* young.

Sure, if someone dies in their twenties, their life can justifiably said to have been cut short., but in mid-late 60s?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Possibly the shift in attitude parallels the shift in life-expectancy? :confused:
    Well the two being connected is kind of inevitable yeah, but I think one has shifted quite a bit more than t'other personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing family history I found swathes of my ancestors in the 18thC and 19thC without the benefit of modern medicine routinely living to their late 80s. So it's nothing new, either, despite the cliches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because I'm trying to look at it from an objective point of view. A person 60+ is simply not "young" by definition.

"Young" is a relative term so there is simply no such thing as an objective definition. 66 can be seen as old (in terms of e.g. starting a family or taking up skydiving) and is young (in terms of dying, of being a great-grandparent etc. etc.).
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Mutual.

I read the OP and cringed for my younger self as I really did used to say and think such embarrassingly ignorant things, too.:o

Me and my friend Neil use to say that we'd agree to kill ourselves when we hit 30, as there really was no point going on beyond that :D

As for the OP, 66 is the age when you should be starting to reap some of the rewards of your working life. It used to be old, but really isn't any more...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm 21 and I don't think 60s is old. It's more mature or middle aged to me. 80 and 90 I would say were old.