What good offers/networks are about as I think I'm through with T Mobile

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
Forum Member
Been a loyal T-Mobile Customer ever since the One2One days back in 1999. However this year I've started to lose patience with them. After my last upgrade I got a Sony Ericcsson C905, within 3 months half the keypad didn't respond. Contacted T-Mobile who arrange to repair it, was without it for 3 weeks and didn't receive any compensation or discount on that months bill. 12 months later the same problem occurs and again I have to send it for repair, I also asked if they could fix the screen at the same time which had become cracked. Again 3 weeks without phone and it came back with new working keys but the cracked screen still present. Again no compesation or discount offered to me. Figured I'd leave the phone as only have to wait till 8th September before my contract runs out and I'm due a renewal/upgrade. However today dropped the phone and the cracked screen has shattered even more making the phone almost unreadable. Contacted T-Mobile as am now in last month of contract, to see if I can upgrade earlier. They told me no, have to wait till my current deal runs out.

So I'm not happy that again I'm going to have 3 or 4 weeks where I can't use the phone I'm paying for. So am thinking of moving to a new network and phone model. Been a Sony Ericsson man for a few years but this C905 has been problematic. Does anyone have any good recommendations for companies doing good deals at the minute? I need someone thats got good network coverage as T-Mobile is one of the few who have reception where I work, others like Orange, O2 and 3 are abit blackspot areas around here. Also is it not possible these days to only get 12 month contracts? I've been a bit miffed at having to do 18 month contracts with T Mobile the last couple of renewals partly because the handsets don't last the contract duration and breakdown. Now they are offering 24 month contracts and don't want to get tied into something like that and be without a phone if the unthinkable should happen.

Comments

• musicman099musicman099 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone are quite respectful with what they offer in terms of minutes, texts and internet. I've never had problems with them.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone are quite respectful with what they offer in terms of minutes, texts and internet. I've never had problems with them.

+1

3 were worst i've ever been on
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    I need someone thats got good network coverage as T-Mobile is one of the few who have reception where I work, others like Orange, O2 and 3 are abit blackspot areas around here.
    Well sort of answered your own question there then. Youre left with t-mobile or vodafone.
    Also is it not possible these days to only get 12 month contracts? I've been a bit miffed at having to do 18 month contracts with T Mobile the last couple of renewals partly because the handsets don't last the contract duration and breakdown.

Bit of a generalisation there. All my handsets for last 10 years have worked fine and still do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Well my last two phones a W810i and this C905 haven't survived the contract duration. I'll admit my phones get some hammer and are often outdoors in all elements, so perhaps they just aren't fit for my purpose.

Regarding Networks someone suggested to me tonight to look maybe at Virgin. They said they share the T-Mobile network so coverage should be the same as I currently get. Is this true?
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit unimpressed with t mobile myself at the moment. Been with them 8 years, and they still can't offer me anything other than the bog standard tariffs they offer everyone on the iPhone 4, so what's the point of telling me I have a 'massive loyalty discount?!' they are calling me next week regarding my upgrade, but if they can't offer me something better than that, I'm going to vodafone.
    Forum Member
    Its annoying, I've been with them for 10 years, and probably for 5 of those years never took out an upgrade option, I stuck with what I had on the contract tariff I was on. Only reason I've upgraded last two times is because the handsets have been wrecked.

If I did upgrade with T Mobile this time round I want either a HTC Desire or an Iphone 4. I also want my tariff restructuring. Paying £35 a month at minute base rate, then getting charged on top for mobile internet usage and picture messaging. They give me something like 900 minutes I never use or benefit from. I hardly call people and generally numbers I do call are business numbers so are charged at premium rate. I get unlimited texts which is about the only good thing as I text no end, as in my lifestyle its the quickest and easiest way to deal with people.

I wouldn't want as many inclusive minutes on my next contract but definitely want a better messaging and internet allowance. I'd also like to be somewhere in the £25-£30 a month tops bracket on my bills again.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its annoying, I've been with them for 10 years, and probably for 5 of those years never took out an upgrade option, I stuck with what I had on the contract tariff I was on. Only reason I've upgraded last two times is because the handsets have been wrecked.

If I did upgrade with T Mobile this time round I want either a HTC Desire or an Iphone 4. I also want my tariff restructuring. Paying £35 a month at minute base rate, then getting charged on top for mobile internet usage and picture messaging. They give me something like 900 minutes I never use or benefit from. I hardly call people and generally numbers I do call are business numbers so are charged at premium rate. I get unlimited texts which is about the only good thing as I text no end, as in my lifestyle its the quickest and easiest way to deal with people.

I wouldn't want as many inclusive minutes on my next contract but definitely want a better messaging and internet allowance. I'd also like to be somewhere in the £25-£30 a month tops bracket on my bills again.

There is no way in hell they will give you a good deal on iPhone 4. They have no leeway with these, and the tariffs aren't especially good value. A desire on the other hand will probably get you a good tariff, and you'll more than likely get it free too.
  • Jon_SJon_S Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Regarding Networks someone suggested to me tonight to look maybe at Virgin. They said they share the T-Mobile network so coverage should be the same as I currently get. Is this true?

Yes that is true but you'd be looking at £35/month for a contract with a free Desire, at the £25/month mark the Desire costs £200.

Alternative for you would be Vodafone -
    Free Desire 100 mins + 500 texts + 1GB data = £25/month
    HTC Desire on Vodafone
    Forum Member
    Looks a good deal only thing putting me off is the reports of Vodafone using and forcing too much branding upon customers handsets. Don't want a load of crap cluttering up my phones. First thing I did with my Ericssons was flash them to remove the operator junk and restore them to factory defaults and then I deleted half of that crap too.

Looking on that deal site there are some out there if you're prepared to pay a little up front. Noticed some T-Mobile deals with mobiles.co.uk where I can pay a one off £109 for the phone and then the monthly rental is £20/month. Get 300 mins + Unlimited Texts + Unlimited Data. That too me doesn't sound too bad. Going to save £15 a month so over the contract thats £360. Okay I've bought the handset at a reduced cost, I'm still £251 in profit over the contract length.