Options

DNA results advice

keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I am after some advice for a friend, who has recently had to do a DNA test to find out if an ex's baby is his. The ex said she sent the test off nearly 3 weeks ago and told him he would receive a copy of the results in the post but he hasn't. When he text her to find out if she had her results she has said she has and that he isn't the father. But she wont let him see the results or give him a copy of them. He doesn't know whether to believe her or not, she is a real game player, constantly changing her mind about whether the baby is his or not since she found out she was pregnant and since she had the baby. Does he have any legal right to the results as he had to sign a form consenting to the test being done? He has emailed the DNA company involved but not heard back from them yet, so thought I would gather some advice on here while he is waiting!

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this was not a court-ordered test I would have thought any legal right to the result would be subject to the commercial contract with the testing company rather than any statutory right and the mother would have no legal obligation to tell him the result.

If he didn't commission the test and pay for it the company would most likely have no obligation to provide him with the result.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, depending on what outcome your friend wanted, he should get her answer to him about the results in writing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, did think that was the case but was hoping it wasn't. Her refusing to let him have the results is just another game to her, never understand how people can play with other peoples lives like this. Guess he will have to make the 350 mile round trip to get a copy of the results as she won't pay to post him a photocopy!
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your friend wants to get her to sign something confirming he is not the father, in case of any future repercussions or allegations she may decide to make, even info she may give the child as it is growing up regarding him, i.e. that he is the dad and wanted nothing to do with his child. One never knows and has to cover all bases. If he paid for the test, and it was executed in his name, the company ought to provide him with the results.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keli77 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, did think that was the case but was hoping it wasn't. Her refusing to let him have the results is just another game to her, never understand how people can play with other peoples lives like this. Guess he will have to make the 350 mile round trip to get a copy of the results as she won't pay to post him a photocopy!

How ridiculous. Can't he mail her an SAE and a postal order to cover the 10p photocopying cost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How ridiculous. Can't he mail her an SAE and a postal order to cover the 10p photocopying cost?

yep, i agree ridiculous. TBH, I doubt she even sent the test off.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keli77 wrote: »
    yep, i agree ridiculous. TBH, I doubt she even sent the test off.

I was just thinking the same thing.

I don't know if it would be possible to check with the DNA company that they actually received the samples seeing as as one of the samples was his, though I am pretty sure they couldn't reveal the results.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest what prompted the test to be done in the first place?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest what prompted the test to be done in the first place?

and woud the OP prefer a positive or negative result ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't want to be the father, she cheated on him and he found out and left her. She has constantly changed her mind throughout the pregnancy about who is the father, him or the guy she was cheating on him with. When she had the baby she told him it wasn't his and refused him a test to find out. Then about a month ago some of her friends and family started contacting him to say that the baby looks like him and he should do a test, he contacted her and she said yes she did want to do a test, so he went to where she lives to do one. At the end of the day the child hasn't done anything wrong and if it was his he would want to do what he could for them, no matter how much he dislikes his ex.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know when my husband got a DNA done to prove he wasn't the father of his ex's daughter, they both got a copy of it. This was about 5-6 yrs ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the latest is he has heard back from the company that did the test, they won't do anything without the reference number for the test, which she won't provide, she will not do anything to assist with him getting a copy of the results.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Will his ex allow him to get a sample from the baby so that he can arrange his own test?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will his ex allow him to get a sample from the baby so that he can arrange his own test?

He hasnt asked yet as he doesn't have the money spare to do that at the moment but i very much doubt she will agree, co-operation isn't her strong point it seems.