Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit lve never seen anything archive on BBC Four cross promoted by any other BBC channel.

A Totp example would be when they had that 2 weeks of Totp2 on BBC Two.

On the one Thursday, there was a 1977 edition straight after, but there was no 'Just about to start on BBC Four, more of the same from 1977!'

Its as if theyre scared to promote archive material.

They will cross promote the new stuff on Four though.

ITV is the same. They would rather you watched Jeremy Kyle & This Morning than know about The Saint & Batman, but promote the ITV 4 sports stuff!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if the controller of BBC4 decided he doesn't want TOTP 1978 in his new year schedule anymore, how about BBC2 show it instead, and their controller takes it up, maybe showing it on a Saturday evening at say 11pm or something? It would likely get more viewers anyway. I know it takes away from the 7.30pm Thursday effect, but it would be better than nothing. I could never see BBC2 showing it in the same BBC4 slot.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Well if the controller of BBC4 decided he doesn't want TOTP 1978 in his new year schedule anymore, how about BBC2 show it instead, and their controller takes it up, maybe showing it on a Saturday evening at say 11pm or something? It would likely get more viewers anyway. I know it takes away from the 7.30pm Thursday effect, but it would be better than nothing. I could never see BBC2 showing it in the same BBC4 slot.

Isnt it cheaper to repeat on Four than Two, for some reason?
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we find out soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One have scheduled their annual edition of Top of the Pops for Xmas Day.

And according to Digiguide, Top of the Pops 1977 is on twice on Thursday 20th December at 8.00 and 8.30. It needs to be on once more after this to complete all the half hour episodes and then they should show the xmas specials.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a read of the last chapter of this piece http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2012/nov/27/jimmy-savile-desert-island-discs?CMP=twt_fd does Mr Greenslade know anything about the BBC four reruns we don't (why would the beeb edit savile out of totp shows if they are not going to show them?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Have a read of the last chapter of this piece http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2012/nov/27/jimmy-savile-desert-island-discs?CMP=twt_fd does Mr Greenslade know anything about the BBC four reruns we don't (why would the beeb edit savile out of totp shows if they are not going to show them?)

Interesting article. Did a quick search on google and found this
    http://louderthanwar.com/bbc-to-dump-all-top-of-the-pops-presented-by-jimmy-savile/
    This article from 4th November claims they are planning to edit him out. Wonder if there is any truth in this, although it does rather contradict what Richard Klein was saying in the Guardian.
  • ROBERT129ROBERT129 Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    confirmed transmission dates.
    thurs 20th dec1930hrs 8/12/77 tony blackburn.
    2000hrs 15/12/77 elton john.

which means no dave lee travis 1/12/77.
    and obviously no saville 22/12/77.

i think the boxing day 77 edition with DLT is in doubt, which is a great shame at least we will get xmas day 77, then hopefully roll into 1978!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ROBERT129 wrote: »
    confirmed transmission dates.
    thurs 20th dec1930hrs 8/12/77 tony blackburn.
    2000hrs 15/12/77 elton john.

which means no dave lee travis 1/12/77.
    and obviously no saville 22/12/77.

i think the boxing day 77 edition with DLT is in doubt, which is a great shame at least we will get xmas day 77, then hopefully roll into 1978!!!

What is your source?
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Rest of 1977 at a glance

29/11 - 10/11/77 with Noel Edmonds
    6/12 - Sky at Night (replacement for cancelled 17/11/77 Savile episode)
    13/12 - 24/11/77 with Kid Jensen
    (1/12/1977 with DLT cancelled)
    20/12 - 8/12/1977 with Tony Blackburn at 8pm and 15/12/1977 with Elton John at 8:30pm
    (22/12/1977 with Jimmy Savile cancelled)
    Christmas 1977 still to be confirmed
    Forum Member
    What is your source?

red bee media, www.bds.tv
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red bee media, www.bds.tv

Thank you. I suppose it could be subject to change but I doubt it. It's about time we found out if 1978 is going ahead!
    Forum Member
    Thank you. I suppose it could be subject to change but I doubt it. It's about time we found out if 1978 is going ahead!

we should find out next week re: 1978, ill post message when i find out info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OK great, fingers crossed
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers. I do hope 1978 gets the go ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Radio Times has shown their support, it's nice to see a bit of support for Top of the Pops to continue in the papers...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2238078/LIZ-JONES-Jimmy-Savile-scandal-I-dont-care-Top-Of-The-Pops-dodgy-hands-70s.html
    And Andrew Collins in the Guardian talks Top of the Pops reruns...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/video/2012/nov/27/top-of-the-pops-bradley-wiggins-video
    Good for them! Makes a change for the papers to be supporting TOTP rather than giving it a bad name. Let's hope Richard Klein takes note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the Radio Times has shown their support, it's nice to see a bit of support for Top of the Pops to continue in the papers...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2238078/LIZ-JONES-Jimmy-Savile-scandal-I-dont-care-Top-Of-The-Pops-dodgy-hands-70s.html
    And Andrew Collins in the Guardian talks Top of the Pops reruns...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/video/2012/nov/27/top-of-the-pops-bradley-wiggins-video
    Good for them! Makes a change for the papers to be supporting TOTP rather than giving it a bad name. Let's hope Richard Klein takes note.
    Jane Moore also gave a good write up for TOTP in her column in The Sun last week. As she's about the same age as me I think she's also enjoying watching the programme, she probably has a sneaky loving for Boney M. Hopefully all these celebs and writers coming out in support of TOTP will help ensure that the 1978 editions will get shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 TOTP 1977 airings on Christmas eve and Christmas day on BBC four

Mon 24th Dec - 8.00pm - 9.00pm : TOTP 1977
    Tue 25th Dec - 11.00pm - 12.00pm : TOTP 1977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 TOTP 1977 airings on Christmas eve and Christmas day on BBC four

Mon 24th Dec - 8.00pm - 9.00pm : TOTP 1977
    Tue 25th Dec - 11.00pm - 12.00pm : TOTP 1977

Are these two airings the same episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these two airings the same episode?
    not too sure (someone posted the info on facebook)but the christmas eve showing has a repeat later on 00.30 to 1.30 am
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not too sure (someone posted the info on facebook)but the christmas eve showing has a repeat later on 00.30 to 1.30 am

OK, so the christmas day late night showing could just be the second repeat like they would normally show on saturday. Shame there's no sign of DLT's episodes yet. I expect more details will be revealed soon...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so the christmas day late night showing could just be the second repeat like they would normally show on saturday. Shame there's no sign of DLT's episodes yet. I expect more details will be revealed soon...
    DLT's episodes won't be shown until January at the earliest, it will depend on what happens when he answers bail. If he doesn't get charged, and assuming (hopefully) that TOTP continues into next year and the editions from 1978 are shown, the next episode he presents will be at the back end of January.
  • wrighty65wrighty65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Calling Occupants [ awful vido ] , The Carps at their crankiest, but it's a great tune and Karen's voice is superb as usual.

listening to the original version by klaatu i am struck by how close the carpenters stuck to it with their interpretation, almost identical piano, guitar solo (ok they used a synth for that bit on klaatu's), even down to the spaceman vocal!:rolleyes:
  • RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I e-mailed Richard Klein and got a reply to say that it was still to be decided. I was amazed that he even read my e-mail. I also sent links to the positive press stories.

FINGERS CROSSED WE GET 1978 ONWARDS!!!
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24 mins to tonight's.