Athletics 2014

Comments

• FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18 year-old Brit Matthew Hudson-Smith goes sub-45 in the 400m!

Thought they said he was 19?

Still amazed by it though, selectors would be crazy not to choose him for Europeans. Shame he's not doing Commonwealths, he's showed better form/consistency than Levine has this season.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18 year-old Brit Matthew Hudson-Smith goes sub-45 in the 400m!

Great performance and now ranked second in Europe.

Looks good for the GB 4x400m relay at the Europeans.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Coburn's a piece of work.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought they said he was 19?

Still amazed by it though, selectors would be crazy not to choose him for Europeans. Shame he's not doing Commonwealths, he's showed better form/consistency than Levine has this season.

The selection for the England team really was too early especially when you consider Jamaica only named their team 10 days ago. We're taking guys like Kilty & Levine who are in poor form and leaving behind a sub 10 sprinter as well as a couple of others like Hudson-Smith.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Good to see so many Brits getting PBs in the 1500m
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astonishing from Dafne Schippers! Two National Records in an afternoon!
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Astonishing from Dafne Schippers! Two National Records in an afternoon!

And in pretty dismal conditions as well. Good to swe Jodie get a PB as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dafne Schippers is amazing. I know she has said in the past she prefers the hep but she should look to the sprints going forward IMO but if she prefers the heptathlon then so be it.
    Good to see Jodie run a PB as well.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have these Dutch sprinters come from in the past few years? They were never thought of as a sprinting nation until recently
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite sure why Brendan was bigging up Lynsey Sharp so much - that race was set up for her but Judd & Leonard both beat her.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good race, proper scrum at the end.

Pleased to see Leonard qualify and very happy that Jess was the first of our mob.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see David Rudisha back in form.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So these are the athletes confirmed for European Championships in Europe:

100m - Dwain Chambers, Harry Aikines Aryeetey
    100m - Asha Philip, Ashleigh Nelson
    110mH - William Sharman, Lawrence Clarke
    100mH - Tiffany Porter
    200m - Danny Talbot, Adam Gemili
    200m - Jodie Williams, Bianca Williams
    400m - Martyn Rooney, Conrad Williams
    400mh - Niall Flannery, Tom Burton
    400mh - Eilidh Child, Meghan Beesley
    800m - Michael Rimmer
    800m - Lynsey Sharp, Alison Leonard
    1500m - Charlie Grice
    1500m - Laura Weightman, Laura Muir
    3000mSC - James Wilkinson
    5000m - Tom Farrell
    5000m - Emelia Gorecka, (Jo Pavey also if she chooses this instead of 10k)
    Long Jump - JJ Jegede
    Long Jump - Katarina Johnson-Thompson
    Triple Jump - Julian Reid
    Hammer Throw - Sophie Hitchon
    Pole Vault - Steve Lewis
    Javelin - Goldie Sayers

Think Matthew Hudson-Smith (400m), Jess Judd (800m), Chris O'Hare and Jake Wightman (both 1500m) and James Dasaolu (100m) will have secured their selection too after their performances, although you never know...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind a Triple Jump competition, Christian Taylor & Will Claye are having a comp as to who can look the most ridiculous - Taylor wins today on both counts
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Not quite sure why Brendan was bigging up Lynsey Sharp so much - that race was set up for her but Judd & Leonard both beat her.

i think sharpe was put off by being bumped in the finishing straight, she is the fastest this year
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have these Dutch sprinters come from in the past few years? They were never thought of as a sprinting nation until recently

The only one I really remember was Nelli Cooman who was the world records holder at 60m indoors in the late 1980's early 1990's . She was tiny and never really translated those performances to outdoors.

Of course a bit before my time was Fanny Blankers-Koen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    i think sharpe was put off by being bumped in the finishing straight, she is the fastest this year

Oh she's run well this year but not today so I was a bit bemused why Foster was bigging her up on this race. She got herself in a bad position and then had to run wide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A couple of years ago the islands of the old Netherlands Antilles ceased to be an independent state and became part of the Netherlands proper, so the Dutch immediately got a whole load of very good sprinters and a world class baseball team. I think the current crop of world class multi-eventers are a product of the Charles van Commenee system though.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member

Schippers is mainly a heptathlete (just like your KJT), who happens to be very fast on the sprint numbers as well.

And I do agree that she should try to run the 100 and/or the 200 in the future at the big championships (heck, at the EC she would probably have a real shot at gold in both events).

She is certainly a gifted heptathlete (with bronze last year at the WC), but at the WC and OS the main competition would be too hard for her (Thiessen, KTJ, Ennis; you might remember her from Ennis's epic 200metres at the London OS). She has now proved she can run with the best of them (heck, in the 100 A-final she would have come in 2nd!). It is best to make such a step early on (instead for instance like Kluft, suddenly deciding it in your late twenties) or at least try it out (though next year is a pre-olympic year, I would give it a shot at the WC)

By the way, don't forget that she has only just turned 22 (last month). So, she could go on for another 3 Olympics even. And probably the best white female sprinter since Kim Gevaert (0,14 slower on the 200).

Sadly, I missed both races (I do hope she was interviewed by Phil after the 200) and over here athletics isn't very big (there are 3 sport articles on the main page of teletext, none of which is about her). Still, perhaps I will catch a glimpse of her in the sport broadcast later on :( Ironically, last year they had long summaries of the Diamond League events at night (with the football and cycling going on at the moment, that is now gone).

P.S. Fun fact: She already beat Felix at the 200 a few years back (in a series at the WC).
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    The only one I really remember was Nelli Cooman who was the world records holder at 60m indoors in the late 1980's early 1990's . She was tiny and never really translated those performances to outdoors.

Yes, she took the 100 metres record from her (the 200 metres record was already her own for quite some time).

After the performance in Gotzis (at the 200), this kind of performance was always in the realm of possibility.

And how long ago has it been that someone from The Netherlands has won a Diamond League meeting (if ever) ? Obviously discounting the imported athletes.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schippers is mainly a heptathlete (just like your KJT), who happens to be very fast on the sprint numbers as well.
    P.S. Fun fact: She already beat Felix at the 200 a few years back (in a series at the WC).
    It was heat 3 of the first round at the 2011 WC - 22.69/22.71; I know because I watched that race just a few days ago! The margin of victory was eerily similar as well. :o
    After the performance in Gotzis (at the 200), this kind of performance was always in the realm of possibility.
    Considering how quick all the heptathletes were in that heat (Theisen-Eaton clocked 23.52 and was fourth fastest) and other heats beforehand, it was suggested on the T&FN forum that the wind may have been stronger than the official reading of +1.5m/s.

I think that reading has more credibility now since Schippers only had the assistance of a +0.2m/s wind this time (and was still a hundredth quicker). Joyner-Kersee's WB of 22.30 in the heptathlon 200m is within her reach, for what it's worth.

Right now, she is the custodian of no fewer than three national records. If she does only the sprints in Zürich, Broersen will have a bigger chance of victory (and beating Schippers' NR!) in the heptathlon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And I do agree that she should try to run the 100 and/or the 200 in the future at the big championships (heck, at the EC she would probably have a real shot at gold in both events).

She is certainly a gifted heptathlete (with bronze last year at the WC), but at the WC and OS the main competition would be too hard for her (Thiessen, KTJ, Ennis; you might remember her from Ennis's epic 200metres at the London OS). She has now proved she can run with the best of them (heck, in the 100 A-final she would have come in 2nd!). It is best to make such a step early on (instead for instance like Kluft, suddenly deciding it in your late twenties) or at least try it out (though next year is a pre-olympic year, I would give it a shot at the WC)

By the way, don't forget that she has only just turned 22 (last month). So, she could go on for another 3 Olympics even. And probably the best white female sprinter since Kim Gevaert (0,14 slower on the 200).

Sadly, I missed both races (I do hope she was interviewed by Phil after the 200) and over here athletics isn't very big (there are 3 sport articles on the main page of teletext, none of which is about her). Still, perhaps I will catch a glimpse of her in the sport broadcast later on :( Ironically, last year they had long summaries of the Diamond League events at night (with the football and cycling going on at the moment, that is now gone).

Yes Phil did interview her after the 200 & he asked her about what event(s) she's planning to do for the Europeans & she said she would decide in a few days.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A wide range of records produced in that women's 3000m steeplechase:
    1 World Lead & Meeting Record
    1 Area Record (North America/Caribbean)
    2 National Records (Sweden, Finland)
    1 World Youth Best
    3 Personal Bests
    2 Season Bests

Good to see Rudisha continuing to regain form in the men's 800m. As a certain commentator put it...
    Steve Cram wrote:
    A world lead, not quite a Scottish all-comers' record, somebody did that in the Commonwealth Games in 1986...
    Heh.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wide range of records produced in that women's 3000m steeplechase:
    1 World Lead & Meeting Record
    1 Area Record (North America/Caribbean)
    2 National Records (Sweden, Finland)
    1 World Youth Best
    3 Personal Bests
    2 Season Bests

Good to see Rudisha continuing to regain form in the men's 800m. As a certain commentator put it...

Heh.

I remember it well as Steve Cram stormed round the 800m. He was at or near his peak back then and was a great athlete.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    The full show is on the BBC website on catchup. May be catch up TV as well. Some good performances there. That young Brit lad in the 400m and Jodie in the 200m seem to have made real breakthroughs. Great to see Rudisha back to his best. Looks unbeatable when on form. Surprised we haven't seen more from those teenagers who chased him to gold in a London.

Intrigued by this Wang kid from China in the long jump. 8.04m at 17. As Edwards said, genuine talent or kid who's developed early? Looks like talent to me because he's only a slip of a thing.

Schippers looks in great sprinting form. I think she should concentrate on it and ditch the heptathlon where she's always going to be an also ran.