Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Fincham will be remembered for quite a few successes but breakfast TV is his albatross along with Red Or Black.

And this summer is going to be remembered in very unfavourable terms as well.

I agree with H of De Vil - I hope OFCOM are able to pull ITV into line and maybe threaten them with the Channel 3 contract. I know that's impossible but they really do not deserve it at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve's favourite show is on at the moment, Live at the Apollo, sorry the Commonwealth. I'm presuming its the same production company that is making it.

Good to see they've filmed it in Glasgow with a Glaswegian host, rather than filmed it in Edinburgh with a Welsh host!
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Surely all the controllers have to explain themselves at the TV festival next month and their audience figures. They need a total grilling. Wonder what excuses Jay Hunt will give this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know if ITV have got any new programmes lined up for after the Commonwealth Games or if they are carrying on as they are until September?

Is excuse them if its the former, as really we've only had 1 clear week since the World Cup finished, and it is obvious the Games will dominate viewing for the next 10 days, so not worth launching anything new. If they weren't expecting event tv style ratings for it, they wouldn't have made such a big deal of cleaning out the whole BBC1 schedule.

It's also quite odd that weekdays between 7 and 9, the whole schedule is new except for 30 mins, but between 9 and 10 only 2/5 is new.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Why would you feel sorry for them? They're putting in little effort, making millions and not re-investing the money into new programming. Even an eight part/six part factual series at 9pm would be better than just rpt's.

It is my opinion other than LLF, ITV is the worst channel presently. If their not careful viewers will end up loosing more faith in ITV and hand the BBC more loyal viewers. A broadcaster should not be profit focused, but look more to viewer perception.

Th amount of rpt's in the schedule is a complete and utter joke. The further joke is that they seem not to notice Corrie is poor at the moment and Emmerdale is weak. This even further weakens an already poor channel schedule.

I seriously hope OFCOm have words with ITV. >:(
    I think Steve Williams made a typically sage point the other day as well that with a schedule as low-key as this for days on end there's no guarantee the viewers will come back when the big hitters like X Factor arrive back on the scene. You're almost having to rebuild the audience from scratch which is not ideal.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Do we know if ITV have got any new programmes lined up for after the Commonwealth Games or if they are carrying on as they are until September?

Is excuse them if its the former, as really we've only had 1 clear week since the World Cup finished, and it is obvious the Games will dominate viewing for the next 10 days, so not worth launching anything new. If they weren't expecting event tv style ratings for it, they wouldn't have made such a big deal of cleaning out the whole BBC1 schedule.

It's also quite odd that weekdays between 7 and 9, the whole schedule is new except for 30 mins, but between 9 and 10 only 2/5 is new.

I really hope they don't launch everything at the same time again (like last year?), as that failed spectactulary with nothing really standing out in the schedule.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ITV had a better schedule against the Olympics and that was far more of an event than the Commonwealth Games so I don't think that holds up to scrutiny. For whatever reason they've just signed off in the 9pm slot and the weekends.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve's favourite show is on at the moment, Live at the Apollo, sorry the Commonwealth. I'm presuming its the same production company that is making it.

Good to see they've filmed it in Glasgow with a Glaswegian host, rather than filmed it in Edinburgh with a Welsh host!

Which oxygen stealers are on Lifeless At The Appalling this week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Which oxygen stealers are on Lifeless At The Appalling this week?

Kevin Bridges and then a load of people I've never heard of that a decade ago would have been doing a TV stand up show on ITV at 2am and aren't exactly prime time material, as is always the case!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Surely all the controllers have to explain themselves at the TV festival next month and their audience figures. They need a total grilling. Wonder what excuses Jay Hunt will give this year.
    I'm still reeling she got the kid glove treatment last year with a fawning arse kisser like Boyd Hilton asking the questions. But in truth Hunt has a bad attitude and won't give a straight substantive answer on the issues that really matter anyway, so I can guarantee hers won't be worth watching.

If I was her I'd have acknowledged my failings by now and fallen on my sword. C4 has not made any sufficient ratings progress under her tenure, indeed it's gone backwards. And whilst there has been some progress creatively, too much of her vision has been a failure. I don't see any improvement forthcoming with her at the helm, and frankly she's had plenty long enough to make a positive impact, and a plenty big enough budget.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    ITV had a better schedule against the Olympics and that was far more of an event than the Commonwealth Games so I don't think that holds up to scrutiny.

Ah, but what were the ratings like for that better schedule. Very poor I expect, hence why they are not bothering second time round.

Didn't channel 4 air a new series Million Pound Drop against the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which was foolish scheduling. Although at that stage, a new series of that started every other week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    C4 has not made any sufficient ratings progress under her tenure and too much of her vision has been a failure. I don't see any improvement forthcoming with her at the helm, and frankly she's had plenty long enough to make a positive impact, and a plenty big enough budget.

What is funny is that, the only shows the girls at work in the office ever talk about, are Channel 4 documentaries, and shock-docs, so they must be tapping into some sort of audience.

Personally I think I watch more Channel 5 than Channel 4 thesedays. Last thing I watched was probably Educating Yorkshire.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »

"We've had a great year. We've had Gogglebox, *mumble mumble* on top of that, Gogglebox, *mumble mumble mumble* that's been the great thing about Gogglebox *mumble mumble mumble mumble* and, of course, let's not forget Gogglebox."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    "We've had a great year. We've had Gogglebox, *mumble mumble* on top of that, Gogglebox, *mumble mumble mumble* that's been the great thing about Gogglebox *mumble mumble mumble mumble* and, of course, let's not forget Gogglebox."

And Benefits Street and The Mill..... and we're done!
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Bridges and then a load of people I've never heard of that a decade ago would have been doing a TV stand up show on ITV at 2am and aren't exactly prime time material, as is always the case!

Well at least it's brand new comedy.

I've just noticed tomorrow at 10.40pm ITV have got a repeat of The Chase, and then another one on Thursday at 11.40. Huge chunks of ITV's schedule are a total barren wasteland. It feels like they've even run out of repeats this summer. It's sad, for ITV obviously, but BBC1 needs good competition from ITV also. This massive lack of ambition is unhealthy for British TV full stop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Going back to that ITV 2006 schedule, why was Where the Heart Is ever axed? I seem to remember it used to be quite popular, not a massive show but no flop.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I am quite suprised that Noel has not been picked up by someone (especially the BBC) to front some LE format.
    I think he would have been if he hadn't blotted his copybook a few times in recent years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a nightmare!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Well at least it's brand new comedy.

I've just noticed tomorrow at 10.40pm ITV have got a repeat of The Chase, and then another one on Thursday at 11.40. Huge chunks of ITV's schedule are a total barren wasteland. It feels like they've even run out of repeats this summer. It's sad, for ITV obviously, but BBC1 needs good competition from ITV also. This massive lack of ambition is unhealthy for British TV full stop.

ITV put their efforts into Autumn and Winter. Pack those series with big shows, get the ad revenue and try to make it through Summer. In the noughties I think BBC1 were more likely to have new programmes over Summer. Strictly, New Tricks and Doctor Who come to mind. ITV had success with Britain's Got Talent. Even in Summer there are viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he would have been if he hadn't blotted his copybook a few times in recent years.
    That whole nonsense about him saving the BBC by buying it didn't do him any favours.

Onscreen he's a talent, but off of it he seems a handful. You want someone who will simply pose nicely for the publicity pictures and say channel x is a blast to work for, not get ideas above one's station by prattling on to anyone who will listen about where networks are going wrong and how they can be put right.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to have an edge or be a bit quirky in some way as long as it's not put on - if TV was full of Vernon Kay's I think we'd all be watching a lot less telly by now - but Edmonds can take that too far.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    laddergoat wrote: »
    Going back to that ITV 2006 schedule, why was Where the Heart Is ever axed? I seem to remember it used to be quite popular, not a massive show but no flop.
    Because most Where The Heart Is viewers were elderly, downmarket viewers. The kind of people who are very unattractive from a commercial viewpoint. Advertisers sure as hell dont want their products shown to these kind of audiences because theyre either not going to spend as much money as more affluent viewers or the viewers are so loyal to certain brands because of their age, meaning the adverts are a waste of time and ineffective anyway. Itv had to get rid, the show even at 5-6m was less profitable than a cheap factual show which scrapes 2.5million viewers. And as we all know, Itv in recent times is all about profits and making money for their shareholders, not the viewers, so the decision was a pretty straight-forward one for Shaps and co. Let's not forget also that something like Where The Heart Is didnt sell well abroad, unlike oap chocolate box crime fares like Midsomer, so another reason to get rid of it.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    That whole nonsense about him saving the BBC by buying it didn't do him any favours.

Onscreen he's a talent, but off of it he seems a handful. You want someone who will simply pose nicely for the publicity pictures and say channel x is a blast to work for, not get ideas above one's station by prattling on to anyone who will listen about where networks are going wrong and how they can be put right.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to have an edge or be a bit quirky in some way as long as it's not put on - if TV was full of Vernon Kay's I think we'd all be watching a lot less telly by now - but Edmonds can take that too far.
    Yes, it was toe-curling watching him on Newsnight a few months ago, as it was seeing his Licence Fee rant on Breakfast a few years ago.

At the risk of him knocking my front door, he seems to be to be 95% the Noel of the 1980s and 1990s, and 5% the man you hope won't sit next to you on the bus. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seven
    18:00 Seven News: 1.20M
    18:30 Seven News / Today Tonight: 1.10M
    19:00 Home & Away: 0.94M
    19:30 Highway Patrol: 0.78M
    20:00 The Force: 0.69M

Nine
    18:00 Nine News: 1.29M
    18:30 Nine News: 1.21M
    19:00 A Current Affair: 1.17M
    19:30 The Voice: Grand Final: 1.66M
    *down 19% year-on-year.
    21:40 The Voice: Winner Announced: 1.58M
    *down 32% year-on-year.

Ten
    17:00 Ten Eyewitness News: 0.71M
    18:00 Family Feud: 0.63M
    18:30 The Project: 0.75M
    19:30 MasterChef Australia: 1.17M
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 are currently showing a talking worm. No, I'm not talking about Edmonds, the jokers amongst you! :)
This discussion has been closed.