Options

No WW1 Tributes Other than BBC

bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
Forum Member
✭✭
So, there's 3 hours on BBC2 and it's on BBC radio

ITV/C4/C5 have NOTHING to mark the occasion. Not even a documentary on tonight or live coverage like the BBC

Shameful.

Comments

• Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

ITV/C4/C5 have NOTHING to mark the occasion. Not even a documentary on tonight or live coverage like the BBC

Shameful.

ITV had a documentary last night.
    (Watched by nearly 1.3m viewers)
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    ITV had a documentary last night.
    (Watched by nearly 1.3m viewers)

A bit odd to clash with the CGs. Why no live coverage tonight?

There's been BBC/ITV clashes on things like that before

Oh yeh, soaps are more important than this day ;-)

Although I don't get C4/C5 either with the crap that's on there tonight.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit odd to clash with the CGs. Why no live coverage tonight?

There's been BBC/ITV clashes on things like that before

Oh yeh, soaps are more important than this day ;-)

Or, just maybe, somebody didn't want it to clash with the BBC coverage tonight ? Common sense to me, obviously not to you
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have traditionally never tried to compete with the BBC on Remembrance Sunday and the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance the previous night, both of which have been televised by the BBC since 1946 and are expected of the national broadcaster.However I'm sure there are other types of coverage ITV could offer but they don't do Event TV any more.

Too much trouble for the BBC's Tony Livesey to wear a tie and perhaps a suit instead of looking as if he'd just come from the pub.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shameful.

Brothers in Arms: The Pals Army of World War One

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week32/brothers-arms-pals-army-world-war-one

Many of the press reviews gave it 5 stars, well worth watching on ITV Player.

The Great War: The People's Story starts next Sunday:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-marks-first-world-war-centenary-telling-people%E2%80%99s-story-partnership-imperial-war
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes against all that itv stands for nowadays to do programming to mark events like the first world war starting for britain 100 years ago. itv policy on days like today is stick to the emmerdaily and corrie normal boring monday programming. JUST MY OPINION
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    It goes against all that itv stands for nowadays to do programming to mark events like the first world war starting for britain 100 years ago. itv policy on days like today is stick to the emmerdaily and corrie normal boring monday programming. JUST MY OPINION

Of course the programmes mentioned in the post above yours are not worthy are they ?

Why compete over documentaries about the same historical event ? Why not let people be able to watch both by scheduling at different times ? ITV are not being disrespectful
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And even though it is disrespectful, Corrie and Emmerdale are going to bring in more viewers than a WW1 documentary. People forget it is a business.

There was one shown last night, what more do you want?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch Corrie and Emmerdale but it was certainly reflected in EE tonight.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Is this the opportunity to express our faux outrage? Because i'm fuming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like you say that the daily fix of soaps is paramount to itv towers. Respecting the start of britains participation in the world war one ON THE DAY AUGUST 4th is too much for ITV. just my opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like you say that the daily fix of soaps is paramount to itv towers. Respecting the start of britains participation in the world war one ON THE DAY AUGUST 4th is too much for ITV. just my opinion

The world war lasted more than one day. You seem to think it should be reflected on one day only. I think that is wrong. Just my opinion
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In addition to the commissioned documentaries they have been live at Westminster Abbey since 10pm with a special News at Ten. However I think nothing ITV does will ever satisfy you because you have a deep dislike of the channel. Just my opinion. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the war lasted more than just one day but itv have chosen not to mark the start with any programming today. They chose to adopt a normal schedule. ITV could have done more than just do tokenistic coverage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the war lasted more than just one day but itv have chosen not to mark the start with any programming today. They chose to adopt a normal schedule. ITV could have done more than just do tokenistic coverage

So they should have done the same as the BBC and not given people the option of choice ? Freedom of choice in other words

They did their show last night. Why put it up against the BBC tribute ? Isn't that a bit silly ?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are going down this silly route, I didn't see wall to wall coverage on BBC1 across prime time tonight either. They did however show almost wall to wall repeats instead.

This boring topic comes up every time there is a news event. People need to realise it isn't the 90s anymore where BBC1 and ITV are basically the two main channels and they routinely go head to head to show live coverage of news events. These days everyone has at least 2 news channels, and it is those which go head to head with BBC1 simulcasting the coverage for the most major of events.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    As mentioned there are shows across all the stations not only today and this week but in the case of the BBC a large amount of cash spent on a four year World War One project on tv and both local and national radio services
    For all it's faults as the biggest and oldest uk broadcaster Auntie is first choice for most when it comes to coverage of any national event whether it's war royal weddings and funerals or national and international events
    Because of the fact the BBC have a huge archive of tv and radio shows itv long since realised in my opinion they are flogging a dead horse trying to compete in this field ...preferring to provide alternative programming to those who aren't interested in these world changing events
    But they will still report it during the evening news and still make a documentary in their current affairs slot
    As for the coverage tonight in fairness to the Beeb the majority of the services and events were in the morning and afternoon
    I'm no fan of either the Beeb or itv anymore but we still lead the world with our public service broadcasting and despite cutbacks we have much to be thankful for in terms of what we have compared to other country's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    In addition to the commissioned documentaries they have been live at Westminster Abbey since 10pm with a special News at Ten. However I think nothing ITV does will ever satisfy you because you have a deep dislike of the channel. Just my opinion. ;-)
    itv could have done more today to cover the start of ww1 for britain. But they chose not to. ALL broadcasters should have done something today to keep world war one in the mindset of the people. But just as the lights are going out in the lead up to 2300 the danger is so is the publics engagement in momentus days like today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    itv could have done more today to cover the start of ww1 for britain. But they chose not to. ALL broadcasters should have done something today to keep world war one in the mindset of the people. But just as the lights are going out in the lead up to 2300 the danger is so is the publics engagement in momentus days like today.

They haven't chosen not to, they showed a show last night. HOW MANY MORE TIMES ? And today, as explained but common sense doesn't seem to settle with you, they had an extended New At Ten piece.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shameful.

I suppose we should be grateful that Channel 4 have not done anything when you consider what they would be likely to have done. Probably make a hero out of a deserter who betrayed his comrades or something similar.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,005
    Forum Member
    Surely Ken Barlow on Coronation Street would have paid tribute to Albert Tatlock?
    A veteran of the First World War, Albert settled back into civilian life by marrying and starting a family,....

Albert was very proud of his war record, and took a dim view of Minnie's friend Handel Gartside when he found out he was a conscientious objector, and even at one point refused to let Handel in his house. In 1980, Albert sold his Military Medal to go to London for Remembrance Day, to pay tribute to his war friend Monty Shawcross. When Ken saw how upset Albert was that he had sold his Medal, he bought it back for him.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and had ITV and the BBC shown similar things at the same time, the posts would have been, why are ITV and the BBC showing the same thing !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    and had ITV and the BBC shown similar things at the same time, the posts would have been, why are ITV and the BBC showing the same thing !

Exactly.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No all broadcasters shouldn't if you want to watch it it's on BBC-1 and news channel if you do not then the rest of us get a choice.

I don't like being told that I have to remember if I want to do so it's my choice if not it's no one else's to make me.

I am sick of having events forced down the throat whenever an anniversary or a public event occurs, in the last few weeks we had Tour de France shoved our throats in Yorkshire, then Commonwealth Games now we are expected to sit and watch a ceremony about WWI we don't all conform to what everyone thinks we should do.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    No all broadcasters shouldn't if you want to watch it it's on BBC-1 and news channel if you do not then the rest of us get a choice.

I don't like being told that I have to remember if I want to do so it's my choice if not it's no one else's to make me.

I am sick of having events forced down the throat whenever an anniversary or a public event occurs, in the last few weeks we had Tour de France shoved our throats in Yorkshire, then Commonwealth Games now we are expected to sit and watch a ceremony about WWI we don't all conform to what everyone thinks we should do.

I don't understand - yes all of these events have been given lots of coverage but nobody is saying you are 'expected' to watch, it is a choice for the individual.