Options

T-Mobile contract doesn't end till September but phone broken now, what options?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
Forum Member
I've been a T Mobile Customer for 10 years and on contract with them for the last 5. I have 5 months left on my current contract but this week my Sony Ericsson C905 has broken, basically half the keys don't work anymore and I'm not able to initiate a call. I can receive okay, just can't start one because the button doesn't work.

I've spoken with T Mobile, who tell me I'd have to take it to a T Mobile store and arrange for a repair. Problem with that is I don't have a T Mobile store in my town, or any of the neighbouring ones.

They won't upgade me as I still have 5 months to run, despite offering to pay for a higher tariff and contribute towards the cost of a new handset.

So what else can I do? Could I cancel my contract as basically T Mobile are failing to provide me with the service I'm paying for as their handset isn't functioning?

Comments

• Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your options are

1. Take out a new contract, get a new phone and pay for both lines until you are able to cancel the original.

2. Pay off your current contract (you don't have to pay the VAT on the remaining months) and then take out a new contract.

3. Get your current phone repaired. If there's no shop in your town you could just send it for repair instead?

4 Go and buy a cheap phone to use until you are able to upgrade.

You cannot cancel your contract (without penalty) just because your handset isn't working
  • Options
    spikejspikej Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are SE phones not 2yr warranties anymore? They certainly used to be ...
  • Options
    ram jamram jam Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    buy a £10 phone
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what else can I do? Could I cancel my contract as basically T Mobile are failing to provide me with the service I'm paying for as their handset isn't functioning?

The handset is yours and t mobile are providing you with a service to your sim. The only options you have really are pay off the rest of the contract and get a new one or buy a cheap phone to get you through the next few months.
  • Options
    onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    The handset is yours and t mobile are providing you with a service to your sim. The only options you have really are pay off the rest of the contract and get a new one or buy a cheap phone to get you through the next few months.

There are dozens of little phone repair shops in almost every town in the UK. Could one of these fix it? If not post it to the manufacture, in the past ive found SE and Siemens quite good.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onephat wrote: »
    There are dozens of little phone repair shops in almost every town in the UK. Could one of these fix it? If not post it to the manufacture, in the past ive found SE and Siemens quite good.

Ive been quite lucky and never had to get a phone repaired but the OP could see how much a repair could be and weigh up the costs.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone T-Mobile up and ask to speak to ineligible saves, all the networks have them.

From my experience of other networks they'll offer to upgrade you for a further 6 months commitment.