Carla's other brother

Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,592
Forum Member
✭✭
Around the time of Carla's mums death she mentioned her brother Darren quite frequently, they argued about the funeral arrangements and he attended the funeral with Carla off-screen. Now her brother Rob has showed up and they discussed their history with their mum in the Rovers i'm suprised they didnt mention the other brother. Are we now meant to forget the other one exists now this one has shown up? :confused:

Comments

• rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    Corrie are being annoyingly vague about this. Whenever Carla's brother was mentioned it was Darren and it was always a singular brother. Darren was in strangeways doing 8 years for armed robbery.
    When Corrie cast Rob, a lot of fans took to twitter to ask why his name was Rob and what about Darren - these tweets were directed to the head of Corrie's press, and she revealed that she didn't even know Carla had a brother called Darren, which does make me wonder if the pwoers that be genuinely forgot about Darren and hoped we would forget too, and that Rob is Darren. She then said that Carla has, or has the potential to have lots of brothers, particularly half brothers given the absence of her father and rep of the mother.

It will be interesting to see if Carla and Rob mention any other siblings. I am currently assuming Darren does exist and that he is a half brother, perhaps also in prison.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when carla talked about her brother, i assumed she was talking about the brother that arrived
    i guess the writers forgot that they already called him darren
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Pretty shoddy continuity, considering his last mention was within the current regime and Carla's current ongoing 'saga', as it was his support during her mother's death that brought Frank and her together.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie are being annoyingly vague about this. Whenever Carla's brother was mentioned it was Darren and it was always a singular brother. Darren was in strangeways doing 8 years for armed robbery.
    When Corrie cast Rob, a lot of fans took to twitter to ask why his name was Rob and what about Darren - these tweets were directed to the head of Corrie's press, and she revealed that she didn't even know Carla had a brother called Darren, which does make me wonder if the pwoers that be genuinely forgot about Darren and hoped we would forget too, and that Rob is Darren. She then said that Carla has, or has the potential to have lots of brothers, particularly half brothers given the absence of her father and rep of the mother.

It will be interesting to see if Carla and Rob mention any other siblings. I am currently assuming Darren does exist and that he is a half brother, perhaps also in prison.

Interesting. The "Darren was in strangeways doing 8 years for armed robbery" suggests that theyve replaced him with Rob as he's just been released from prison so seems to have be given Darren's backstory. However Darren wasnt in prison at the time of their mum's death though was he? I'm sure Carla and Frank visited him to discuss the funeral arrangements it just wasnt shown on-screen.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When an announcement was made a while ago that Carla would have a brother in the programme, there were discussions about him. It became very confusing.

I am sure in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carla_Connor her brother was Darren but now it is Rob.:confused:
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very strange. If he's been given Darren's backstory then surely this is a deliberate name-change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coronation_Street_characters_%282012%29
    Rob was originally named "Darren" and had long been mentioned in the series and by cast and crew members during interviews. He was not in Carla's life as he was serving an eight-year stint in Strangeways prison for armed robbery
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so he was orginally called darren, now called rob
    probably say his name is darren rob (what ever carla surname is), but he prefer being called rob
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............. She then said that Carla has, or has the potential to have lots of brothers, particularly half brothers given the absence of her father and rep of the mother........................

I can only hope they resist the temptation to turn this into the connor family show. I know her brothers (probably) won't be connor, but I'm sure the writers would find a way to make sure they were.
  • NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit like Les referring to Leanne's mother as Davina and then her turning up as Stella, oops sorry, Queen Stella
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Carla's brother has been inside for being on the rob!

Sorry...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I can only hope they resist the temptation to turn this into the connor family show. I know her brothers (probably) won't be connor, but I'm sure the writers would find a way to make sure they were.
    A bit like Les referring to Leanne's mother as Davina and then her turning up as Stella, oops sorry, Queen Stella
    AshSan wrote: »
    Well Carla's brother has been inside for being on the rob!

Sorry...

Yes.

:)
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Just sloppy research, probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I like the name Rob better than Darren.
  • rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    If one good thing has come out of it it's that w finally know Carla's maiden name. Carla Donavon.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one good thing has come out of it it's that w finally know Carla's maiden name. Carla Donavon.

I love the name!

The Donovans were a really rough family at my school so I can picture Carla, Rob and their mam perfectly!