Have you ever killed an animal?

12346»

Comments

• NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    Co incidentally enough I had to euthanize one of my tropical fish tonight. He'd been poorly for a few days then seemed to recover but took a turn for the worse again. It was horrible to see it suffer so I bit the bullet and did the decent thing. Amazing how bad you can feel over a little guppy fish.

I had to kill my goldfish 20 years ago, it had a swim bladder infection that nothing cured and the act was horrible. I cannot get my head round death, and to look at an animal and think 'your life is about to end' is too much for me.

The thought of the animal actually knowing its life is about to end is even worse. Which is why i haven't eaten meat since 1989. I can't deal with the death of most things so have taken myself out of the equation as much as possible.

Except mosquitos, I am, rather hypocritically given what i posted above, an expert at mosquito swatting.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to do that, a pigeon came and sat just inside the door at work, he was bleeding from his breast and couldn't fly. The manager was shooing the poor thing out the door, so I went over and picked him up, placed him under a bush. I finished work less than an hour later and he was still there, so I took him to the vet and sadly he had to be put to sleep as the injury was too serious. I think, if I hadn't done that, the poor thing would have just sat there and starved all night, or worse, get attacked by something larger.

Seriously, is it too much to take a few moments out of your day to try and save a defenceless animal from dying so painfully? People can be so selfish and cold-hearted.

Good for you. :)

People often behave towards animals as if they don't feel physical pain of any kind but as someone who accidentally trod on her cat's tail a few years ago :o you know they most certainly do.

I've never killed anything on purpose, apart from a few wasps because I have a phobia about them. Killed a few slugs and snails by accident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, too many spiders to count, ants, daddy long legs, moths etc..
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Good for you. :)

People often behave towards animals as if they don't feel physical pain of any kind but as someone who accidentally trod on her cat's tail a few years ago :o you know they most certainly do.

I've never killed anything on purpose, apart from a few wasps because I have a phobia about them. Killed a few slugs and snails by accident.

I think its more they think the animal only feels physical pain and don't see the animal has having emotions that they can relate to.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Ya, pretty much. But I used to torture cats as a child too, cuz I hate them.

Also as part of the farm, we used to kill a lot for meat. Not humainly either!

Seriously? :( I'm not fussy about cats but it would never enter my head to hurt them (either as a child or as an adult).
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mice mainly, that the cat's played with and just left maimed.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Yes when I was young I was nasty to cats. I hate them. I don't care. They're only cats. There's my response to the torturingissue, which isn't an issue. Just ask the cats!

You could not survive without the countryside. Do you seriously think the UK, the world or even you in your fort of vegetables could like without the vast countryside mass producing meat, veg, dairy etc. Even the seeds that your parents buy to plant in their hugh vegetable garden have to come from somewhere and it isn't in the big London buildings, they originate in the countryside.

Thats me. Solely responsible. I hold my hands up :D

Oooh, you're sooo hard!!!:mad::mad::rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Torturing animals is a known precursor to more serious psychopathic behaviour later in life.

A boy who was in my son's class at school was particularly cruel to animals and would kill cats and mutilate them aged 10/11. He's now in prison for murder.

Jeffrey Dahmer was known for being cruel to animals:
    aldf.org/article.php?id=1213
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, with deliberation. It was a necessary process. I am vegan now.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to find black ants and red ants, and put them in an ice cream tub and watch them fight. The black ants always over powered the red and would win. It was a fight to the death, so indirectly, yes I have killed a load of red ants.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to find black ants and red ants, and put them in an ice cream tub and watch them fight. The black ants always over powered the red and would win. It was a fight to the death, so indirectly, yes I have killed a load of red ants.

I only kill Beavers, awful things :eek:
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah but did you eat the ice-cream after the fighting?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several victims of my cat that needed finishing off. Frogs, birds and a goose. Mice. And I ran over a cat once. All of them upset me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Seriously? :( I'm not fussy about cats but it would never enter my head to hurt them (either as a child or as an adult).

I reckon the poster was on a WU personally.