Options

162 new BBC DAB Radio transmitters between now and Christmas 2015.

Comments

• Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    FYI, I received an e-mail from DCMS on 20 December 2013 as follows:

"The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has received a request under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act (the Act) for copies of the responses received to the Cost-Benefit Analysis of Radio Switchover Methodology Report June/July 2012.

Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act we are required to release the information unless it falls within one of a number of exemptions set out by the Act and the balance of public interest is found to lie in favour of withholding the information. Some of the information identified as relevant to the request relates to you, as per email below.

I am writing to inform you that the Department intends to release this information. However, please note that in releasing the information we will of course redact any personal information, such as your name and email address. For further information, you may wish to see the Ministry of Justice’s guidance on exemptions to the Freedom of Information Act at: http://www.justice.gov.uk/information-access-rights/foi-guidance-for-practitioners/exemptions-guidance"

My consultation response had been:

"I am responding to DCMS's request for comments on the factors and methodology to be used for a new Cost/Benefit Analysis for digital radio switchover. I'd like to know how the figure of £761 million was calculated. Without this information, it is impossible to make an evaluation. Even the report says there is insufficient information to support a policy decision.

There is widespread concern about switchover. The listening figures for DAB are only at 20%. There are several technical reasons, all well publicised. The Consumer Expert Group suggested a tipping point for a decision at 70% of listening being on digital platforms and I would agree with them. 50% is too low.

It leaves half the population being forced to change from FM/AM which will be detrimental to the least well off. In this way, I think it will be more disadvantageous as a trend to the elderly, the disabled and ethnic groups. It is also unlikely to be helpful to national unity. In fact, at the national, regional and local levels, it could be a real problem where communication is needed at a time of emergency.

CBA needs to be credible, accurate and fit for purpose. The current process is too rushed and premature."
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    FYI, I received an e-mail from DCMS on 20 December 2013 as follows:

"The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has received a request under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act (the Act) for copies of the responses received to the Cost-Benefit Analysis of Radio Switchover Methodology Report June/July 2012.

Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act we are required to release the information unless it falls within one of a number of exemptions set out by the Act and the balance of public interest is found to lie in favour of withholding the information. Some of the information identified as relevant to the request relates to you, as per email below.

I am writing to inform you that the Department intends to release this information. However, please note that in releasing the information we will of course redact any personal information, such as your name and email address. For further information, you may wish to see the Ministry of Justice’s guidance on exemptions to the Freedom of Information Act at: http://www.justice.gov.uk/information-access-rights/foi-guidance-for-practitioners/exemptions-guidance"

My consultation response had been:

"I am responding to DCMS's request for comments on the factors and methodology to be used for a new Cost/Benefit Analysis for digital radio switchover. I'd like to know how the figure of £761 million was calculated. Without this information, it is impossible to make an evaluation. Even the report says there is insufficient information to support a policy decision.

There is widespread concern about switchover. The listening figures for DAB are only at 20%. There are several technical reasons, all well publicised. The Consumer Expert Group suggested a tipping point for a decision at 70% of listening being on digital platforms and I would agree with them. 50% is too low.

It leaves half the population being forced to change from FM/AM which will be detrimental to the least well off. In this way, I think it will be more disadvantageous as a trend to the elderly, the disabled and ethnic groups. It is also unlikely to be helpful to national unity. In fact, at the national, regional and local levels, it could be a real problem where communication is needed at a time of emergency.

CBA needs to be credible, accurate and fit for purpose. The current process is too rushed and premature."

I got exactly the same email as well. I had asked for a copy under the FOI Act after reading suggestions that there was no intention of publishing it. It was refused.

I'd like to know when it is being published as it's already a year late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Why is it that DAB still sound inferior to FM or even AM here where I live in Worth near Crawley DAB is very poor still.
  • Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    I know it's been mentioned in other places, but it really belongs in this thread:

Now on air - in service date 17/12/2013.
    Farthinghoe 1.2kW
    Northampton 2kW

159 transmitters and 2 years to go.

I didn't even know Northampton was due on air so soon even with living in the town?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Why is it that DAB still sound inferior to FM or even AM here where I live in Worth near Crawley DAB is very poor still.

In what way does it sound inferior - do you mean you're getting a weak signal or that the sound quality is poor?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crawley is on the list to get a booster transmitter, would be good to have a list with projected timescales rather than after transmitters go live?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio/dab/expansion.html
    and how the next phase to move from 97% to FM equivalence will progress after 2015 to perhaps 2017?
    But doubt if this will be published?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Crawley is on the list to get a booster transmitter, would be good to have a list with projected timescales rather than after transmitters go live?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio/dab/expansion.html
    and how the next phase to move from 97% to FM equivalence will progress after 2015 to perhaps 2017?
    But doubt if this will be published?

Just look at the MuxCo threads to see the endless whining when a transmitter is delayed - now multiplex that tenfold+ as the BBC and Licence Fee come into it!. Best for the BBC to actually work on getting them live (some sites for instance might be best leap frogging to keep the rest on schedule if something unexpected crops up).
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Just look at the MuxCo threads to see the endless whining when a transmitter is delayed - now multiplex that tenfold+ as the BBC and Licence Fee come into it!. Best for the BBC to actually work on getting them live (some sites for instance might be best leap frogging to keep the rest on schedule if something unexpected crops up).
    Don't see why they should worry much about that. After all, the TV changeover dates were published in advance, and there were well over 1000 sites involved. This ought to be much simpler with under 200 and no in-band switchover to do.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Don't see why they should worry much about that. After all, the TV changeover dates were published in advance, and there were well over 1000 sites involved. This ought to be much simpler with under 200 and no in-band switchover to do.

The dates themselves weren't - it was three - six months for the exact date and that was simply changing the technology used - unlike DAB which requires new infrastructure in the transmitter hall, and more importantly aerials up the mast (i.e. weather dependant work) at ALL sites.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    The dates themselves weren't - it was three - six months for the exact date and that was simply changing the technology used - unlike DAB which requires new infrastructure in the transmitter hall, and more importantly aerials up the mast (i.e. weather dependant work) at ALL sites.

DAB quite is often from a site not used previously for Band II radio.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    DAB quite is often from a site not used previously for Band II radio.

Yes. For example in Sunny Derbados we get local FM from Drum Hill, but national DAB from Quarndon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/drum-hill.php
    The FM transmitter of the local ILR station, Ram FM, was recently transferred to Drum Hill from Quarndon.
    Presume a while back?
    Drum Hill might have been best for DAB? but
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/AnnexB/DSO_05A_Derbyshire_DAB_V1_0.pdf
    Quarndon replaces Drum Hill as this site is not available
    for DAB and it performs a similar function to Drum Hill.
    Looks like the local mux will arrive early 2014?
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like the local mux will arrive early 2014?

Would be good, and even better if we got D1 too, but I'm not holding my breath...
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    Would be good, and even better if we got D1 too, but I'm not holding my breath...
    Latest: Derby local DAB expected April 2014

Back to topic:

Penicuik (Scotland) 1kW ERP now added to BBC National DAB network.
    For motorists part of the Edinburgh - M74 link (A702)

158 transmitters to go within 1 year 11 months :)
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Penicuik (Scotland) 1kW ERP now added to BBC National DAB network.
    For motorists part of the Edinburgh - M74 link (A702)

I've never had a problem with DAB reception at that end of the A702, it's the Abington end that needs a transmitter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    the one thing I was curious about:

Are there any plans to have more DAB transmitters for the three London local Multiplexers?

The thing is, that in the Ascot, Bracknell, Wokingham and Maidenhead area people typically listen to London's stations and are used to them. Magic 105,4 or LBC 97.3 are easy to pick up on FM, however on DAB there are issues.

The thing is, these three local Multiplexers from London seem to have transmitters in places as far away as Guildford, and "Hungry Hill", but none are in the Windsor/Bracknell/Maidenhead area.

In Windsor and Bracknell the reception of any of these three local multiplexers from London is very very difficult. I never understood why and would hope that this would change someday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Windsor and Bracknell the reception of any of these three local multiplexers from London is very very difficult. I never understood why and would hope that this would change someday.
    The plan seems to be Reading local mux (with BBC radio Berkshire)will be extended to cover all Berkshire and north Hampshire which includes Windsor and Bracknell.
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/dab-maps/Berkshire%20and%20North%20Hampshire.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The plan seems to be Reading local mux (with BBC radio Berkshire)will be extended to cover all Berkshire and north Hampshire which includes Windsor and Bracknell.
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/dab-maps/Berkshire%20and%20North%20Hampshire.pdf

Yes, ok, but to me that's not really the best choice.

The issue is to me that the footprint of FM and the footprint of the DAB local London multiplexers are not one and the same.

This has the result that in areas where people commonly listen to London stations on FM, DAB would not be such a good thing anymore.

It seems that one of the things DAB can do is narrow down the market to a stronger degree, thus making the bigger choice of the London radio scene unavailable in the eastern parts of Berkshire.

The area of Bracknell, Wokingham, Binfield, Warfield seems to be just in that spot.

I know that at the Coppid Beech Hotel in Bracknell (near Amen Corner) there is a DAB transmitter, however the London mulitplexers are not on. In Guildford, and on "Hungry Hill" however, the local London multiplexers are on. I personally never understood why Guildford would get this blessing, but not the Wokingham/Bracknell area.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, ok, but to me that's not really the best choice.

The issue is to me that the footprint of FM and the footprint of the DAB local London multiplexers are not one and the same.

This has the result that in areas where people commonly listen to London stations on FM, DAB would not be such a good thing anymore.

It seems that one of the things DAB can do is narrow down the market to a stronger degree, thus making the bigger choice of the London radio scene unavailable in the eastern parts of Berkshire.

The area of Bracknell, Wokingham, Binfield, Warfield seems to be just in that spot.

I know that at the Coppid Beech Hotel in Bracknell (near Amen Corner) there is a DAB transmitter, however the London mulitplexers are not on. In Guildford, and on "Hungry Hill" however, the local London multiplexers are on. I personally never understood why Guildford would get this blessing, but not the Wokingham/Bracknell area.

Guildford is historically in the London TV franchise area. Guildford relay is a London region transmitter.

The Wokingham /Bracknell area, although it can receive London transmission overspill (which is preferred by many) is best served by Hannington. It is outside the main service area of London FM stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guildford is historically in the London TV franchise area. Guildford relay is a London region transmitter.

The Wokingham /Bracknell area, although it can receive London transmission overspill (which is preferred by many) is best served by Hannington. It is outside the main service area of London FM stations.

Even though I like the DAB concept that's unfortunately the general downside of DAB Radio. To me its not understandable why one are is "historically part of the London area, whilst others are not?

And even in areas like Windsor I've experienced issues receiving LBC97,3 properly.

I know that Guildford has had some positive treatment regarding broadcasting in the UK, Guildford had the first DVB-T transmissions in HD, but still, it's understandable why they get the excellent choice of London radio stations, whilst Wokingham or Windsor has to go without that choice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me its not understandable why one are is "historically part of the London area, whilst others are not?
    Where the 'city' of London area, London area, greater London area, and the London and South East region are are never well defined?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where the 'city' of London area, London area, greater London area, and the London and South East region are are never well defined?

Don't know if that is a question of definition. To me it's just a matter of understanding, or lack of it. The matter of Guildford and Hungry Hill would be a very good example.

The question why the local London multiplexers are broadcasting from there whilst Wokingham/Bracknell doesn't have the same choice is especially for those an issue who are commuting, or living in eastern Berkshire and working in the city of London.

So it's not uncommon to listen to BBC Radio London 94,9 as well as London's heart ( 106,2), just for local info/traffic updates/tube and public transport news and not the stations intended for Berkshire.
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a point I made on another thread once. I listen to the London stations quite a bit as I live about 20 miles north. You can't get London 2 MUX very well round our way but we have the HBB MUX at Epping Green. This correctly broadcasts BBC Three Counties, but I think some of the London stations should be on there. They aren't but BBC Northants from around 50 miles north of here is.

Bonkers.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭