Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of people in assured shorthold tenancies don't find it a good investment to have a phone line fitted. Increasingly people only have their mobiles.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I'd like to thank Iain Dale for his perseverance in trying to uncover the shenanigans in a democratic system which leaves Tower Hamlets questionable.

If Iain likes a quest for the truth, I wish more media exposure could be given to all the 'walkabout' inmates from open prisons. The very numbers to have absconded when given 'special release' in the last six weeks is quite unbelievable. You'd think the innocent public would be given more consideration when some of these escapees have been labelled as semi-dangerous if approached ? The lack-lustre response from the relevant authorities when interviewed by LBC, is to quote, "More went missing last year". How consoling is that ?! As though the lower figures this year, so far, is something to be proud of.. I ask you?
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Ooh, LT, you're getting credit for starting thread Part 29.. It's usually DS Forum Support.

Morning all. :)

I don't know what happened there G-S but I won't let it go to my head. :)
    As if the great J D Salinger would have had the time for some insecure squeeky 3rd rate broadcaster

.Got the gig at Newsround yet Jimbo?

Holden Caulfield would have seen JOB as a phony.

Who is to say he wouldn't have been right?
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current Galliard Homes ad is driving me crackers.
    They are advertising a new development at The Grove, Eltham and, right at the end, Mrs Chairman tells her husband that it's pronounced 'Elth-am, not Elt-am'. I've lived there for more than 50 years and can tell her that she's wrong!
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are advertising a new development at The Grove, Eltham and, right at the end, Mrs Chairman tells her husband that it's pronounced 'Elth-am, not Elt-am'. I've lived there for more than 50 years and can tell her that she's wrong!

It drives me crackers too.!

The way they blatently advertise it an an "investment" when London in common with other areas needs affordable homes to live in,not as investments.Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

If she is the chairmans wife then tell the chairman to build affordable housing in Eltham not Elth-am.;-)
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Cayce wrote: »
    I'd like to thank Iain Dale for his perseverance in trying to uncover the shenanigans in a democratic system which leaves Tower Hamlets questionable.

If Iain likes a quest for the truth, I wish more media exposure could be given to all the 'walkabout' inmates from open prisons. The very numbers to have absconded when given 'special release' in the last six weeks is quite unbelievable. You'd think the innocent public would be given more consideration when some of these escapees have been labelled as semi-dangerous if approached ? The lack-lustre response from the relevant authorities when interviewed by LBC, is to quote, "More went missing last year". How consoling is that ?! As though the lower figures this year, so far, is something to be proud of.. I ask you?

I quite agree I've been shocked at sheer scale of the blase reactions LBC presenters have received when interviewing so called experts of the prison and justice system. I commented about this on here a few weeks ago when Ferrari interviewed some fool of an expert at the time the skullcracker was on the loose. Absolutely astounding.
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holden Caulfield would have seen JOB as a phony.

And all the others.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Good grief, I really don't like doctors giving advice over the radio.

A man has just called in with 'thrush' and the doctor asked him if he had thought of having an HIV test. You could almost hear his jaw drop to the floor. The doctor did say after that there is only a miniscule chance of him having it, but I don't think that's something that should be thrown into the conversation, just like that, on air.

Not only that, but why are these callers too shy to see their own doctor or get a second opinion, yet are willing to reveal the most personal details to the whole country?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief, I really don't like doctors giving advice over the radio.

A man has just called in with 'thrush' and the doctor asked him if he had thought of having an HIV test. You could almost hear his jaw drop to the floor. The doctor did say after that there is only a miniscule chance of him having it, but I don't think that's something that should be thrown into the conversation, just like that, on air.

Not only that, but why are these callers too shy to see their own doctor or get a second opinion, yet are willing to reveal the most personal details to the whole country?

Sight unseen diagnoses by their very nature are questionable. I think it's the same with the NHS 111 diagnostic phone service. If anyone I'm in contact with appears to need a doctor promptly then that's what will happen, one way or another. Too many people have been made reluctant to use necessary medical services while others abuse them. That could be one reason for such radio phone-ins that provide this "entertainment".
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    thewilson wrote: »
    Sight unseen diagnoses by their very nature are questionable. I think it's the same with the NHS 111 diagnostic phone service. If anyone I'm in contact with appears to need a doctor promptly then that's what will happen, one way or another. Too many people have been made reluctant to use necessary medical services while others abuse them. That could be one reason for such radio phone-ins that provide this "entertainment".

I'm not blaming Clive at all, but I think it would be much better if one or two specific 'ailments' were covered each week, with the doc giving advice and maybe taking calls from people with direct experience, rather than how it is at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not blaming Clive at all, but I think it would be much better if one or two specific 'ailments' were covered each week, with the doc giving advice and maybe taking calls from people with direct experience, rather than how it is at present.

I think that would be a great improvement if the medical hour continues.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

.....and there I was thinking she said not Elton darling .

The daughter of the chairman one I like the best ".First step on the property ladder" - to buying the entire estate presumably in her case.:)
  • Options
    Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had a friend who lived there and they all called it Elth-am. Maybe it's a matter of preference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From what I've heard, Clive covers the medical hour in a more careful way than Iain Dale did. I remember an example, obviously some time ago, when the effect of grapefruit on statins and other drugs was being discussed, and Iain jumped in to emphasize that the danger was confined to grapefruit. However, there had been newspaper reports not long before, that marmalade made from Seville oranges was also a problem, but this was not mentioned.
    More recently, a week or so ago, Iain's expert on addiction announced that 300 people a week (I assumed in this country) died from nicotine. Giving him the benefit of doubt, I think this expert (who runs a private addiction clinic) was referring to smoking tobacco. I waited for Iain (with his new found knowledge of vaping) to challenge him on this statement, but alas no.
    The moral I have taken is - be wary of LBC medical phone-ins in respect of presenters and experts.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inge Jones wrote: »
    I had a friend who lived there and they all called it Elth-am. Maybe it's a matter of preference.

Or possibly the Hyacinth Bucket syndrome.:D

I think the chairmans wife on the Galliard ad is suffering from.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or possibly the Hyacinth Bucket syndrome.:D

I think the chairmans wife on the Galliard ad is suffering from.:D

Hahaha, yes. :D
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Allen this morning, Katie Price ad nauseam. For a person whom SA thinks is useless, stupid and boring, she sure fills up huge chunks of his programme nicely for him. Say thank you to Katie, sweetpea.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inge Jones wrote: »

Nonsense. Nobody who lives here calls it Elth-am.
    Does 'your friend' refer to the royal borough as 'Green Witch' too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Steve Allen this morning, Katie Price ad nauseam. For a person whom SA thinks is useless, stupid and boring, she sure fills up huge chunks of his programme nicely for him. Say thank you to Katie, sweetpea.

Steve's obsession with Katie Price is reaching mega proportions. Or he's been hired to do some PR work for her, based on the premise, "Any publicity is good publicity."
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve giving the BBC a roasting dropping there overnight shows for pre records, which.will give him anumition for more ratings. That is true.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thewilson wrote: »

I think with all the stories about doctors being overwhelmed with patients and scorn poured on the 'worried well' who waste their time, people don't want to trouble them with what is hopefully not important but worries them, hence the idea that phoning someone could put their mind at rest. Or not, in this case.
    I hate that on the one hand you get told to see your doctor if you notice any number of things and on the other not to bother them with trivial complaints, ignoring the fact that you don't know if it's trivial or not till you see the doctor>:(

Some people have taken to calling Feltham 'Fel-tham' too, it sounds ridiculous.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    Some people have taken to calling Feltham 'Fel-tham' too, it sounds ridiculous.

It's not 'Feltham', it's 'Bedfont Lakes Village'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Steve's obsession with Katie Price is reaching mega proportions. Or he's been hired to do some PR work for her, based on the premise, "Any publicity is good publicity."

Her and One bloody Direction.. >:(
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last month Staines officially became Staines-on-Thames!

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

It's L-tam. Simples.
This discussion has been closed.