No or Bad Signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Hello all. New to this forum

I have done a quick search, some people have reported a similar problem, but not really resolved it:

I have had my Humax 9300 for about 2 years and it has been working really well (apart from the odd series link problem that everyone else gets)

However, recently we have been getting No or Bad Signal on our BBC1 and BBC2 channels. When we are watching them we keep getting loud cracks and the picture jumps. This is normally then followed by the No or Bad Signal message popping up for a second or so. The picture and sound then goes back to normal for a while, then it all happens again.

I have reset the box more times than I can remember. I have deleted all the channels (TV and Radio) and re loaded them again, both the automatic way and the manual way. Each time all the channels are found, but still get the problems with BBC1 and BBC2.

When I did the manual search for channels I was getting good strength on all the MUX channels (around 70% or higher) and they all came up saying quality 100%.

Why is this happening? Any other suggestions?

Just out of interest this is only happening on my Humax box. The TV has its own freeview tuner and it is tuned in to exactly the same MUX channels as the Humax but when we watch BBC1 or BBC2 on the TV's freeview we get no problems at all, it is only on the Humax that you get the loud clicks and jumpy picture.

Is the Humax just past its date? or is there something else I can do?

Thanks. eon

Comments

• Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it only happens with BBC1 and BBC2 (which are on the same multiplex) that suggests that it is a reception problem.

The next time it happens check the signal strength and quality on the channel.

It could be 'impulse interference' from an electrical appliance, which would lead to reduced or wildly flutuating 'quality' readings.

It might be that you are somehow getting BBC1 and BBC2 from a weaker transmitter - but this should reduce the signal strength at all times.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Humax just past its date? or is there something else I can do?
    It doesn't sound like a hardware problem with the Humax to me. The first thing I would do is very carefully examine the cabling from the aerial looking for badly made joints, poorly fitted connectors or signs of water ingress; for some reason that I don't understand the Humax is more sensitive to these sort of faults than other equipment.