Options

The Chase (ITV1) (P2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Oh and they did take him away from the girls and i after the show. Ithink that was for the best. i hope all the kids at school are calling him Mr Maggot behind his back. THe kids at my childrens schools are calling me Uber-genius.:D
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Duncan1968 wrote: »
    That was exactly what i was up to. :)

So you criticise him for his selfishness then confess you gave him bad advice so he'd lose out for your own selfish reasons. :rolleyes:

I'm with Lee on this, it's a game afterall.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and they did take him away from the girls and i after the show. Ithink that was for the best. i hope all the kids at school are calling him Mr Maggot behind his back. THe kids at my childrens schools are calling me Uber-genius.:D

It's over now. Just forget it. Yes, he was a prat for doing what he did but it's over now.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    So you criticise him for his selfishness then confess you gave him bad advice so he'd lose out for your own selfish reasons. :rolleyes:

TV quiz shows used to be games, way back, when the most you could win in this country was £1000, and more frequently you'd be playing for £32 or £64, or a cuddly toy and a fondue maker.

Today, though, with big, big money up for grabs, it seems to border more on a matter of life and death sometimes. It's serious, and for some it's potentially life changing, as Duncan has demonstrated, and feelings and emotions will inevitably run high.

I'm really just surprised we don't witness more such episodes.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a bit of lack of consistency on this show, now today I thought America being judged to be an incorrect answer when the answer was in fact American, was harsh (the airline question).
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HI guys, Duncan here. I was furious with the maggot because he stole my dream. They cut the bit where they asked what i was going to do with the money, and i said that i wanted to win enough to give up work and train as a teacher myself. i have a family to support and when he went minus, I knew that 7K wasn't going to be enough. he knew this because we had spent about four hours together and I had told him. He wished me well in my endevour and then stabbed me in the back to get his hands on the cash.:mad:

you never got the cash..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »

The reason I wanted him off was because he was rubbish, I was happy to share with the girls, they pulled their weight.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    you never got the cash..

That's for sure. The cash is ethereal until you've won it.

And when you consider that, statistically, there's only a one in four chance of beating the Chaser, it's probably best not to count on it even if you've got to the final chase.

As zx50 said, it's over, Duncan. Let it go. Otherwise it will still be gnawing at you on your deathbed!

Frankly, pinning your business plan on the chance of winning a game show seems a little insubstantial.
  • Options
    ahrimaniacahrimaniac Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan, I thought you came across as a total prat. It was a game, and Lee had equal right to go low. To be so insulting on TV was just pathetic, truly it was.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Duncan should have looked at the whole picture. Example todays contestant Rob pretty much got all the questions in the final on his own but the girl Verity got 2 push backs... those push were essential to winning. Its ok to have a few weaker contenstant with you in the final you never know how important they might be....cos nothings won until the final chase..
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Rob/contestant 1 was in turbo mode towards the end
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Duncan should have looked at the whole picture. Example todays contestant Rob pretty much got all the questions in the final on his own but the girl Verity got 2 push backs... those push were essential to winning. Its ok to have a few weaker contenstant with you in the final you never know how important they might be....cos nothings won until the final chase..

Weaker contestants are fine. Lee would have knocked £3,000 off the total had they won.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncan, the trouble is that one player can go big, but the others going low will all drop the average down.

the guy had plus 3000? was it, or minus 4000? it only makes 7000 difference in total, which averages down to less than 2000 for a 4-player team.

so you either try for 7000 each, or 9000 each. either way, you hardly see much personal benefit from bringing in big cash,

for these reasons, it always seems to me that a poor player does not personally lose much by taking lower offers.

you really needed a couple of players to get beaten, if we are being mercenary, to keep a bigger chunk of your own contribution
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's a bit of lack of consistency on this show, now today I thought America being judged to be an incorrect answer when the answer was in fact American, was harsh (the airline question).

I think that was fair in this case. The airline was Pan American [Airways], not Pan America, so the contestant got it wrong. Anyone could guess what 'Am' was short for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    HI guys, Duncan here. I was furious with the maggot because he stole my dream. They cut the bit where they asked what i was going to do with the money, and i said that i wanted to win enough to give up work and train as a teacher myself. i have a family to support and when he went minus, I knew that 7K wasn't going to be enough. he knew this because we had spent about four hours together and I had told him. He wished me well in my endevour and then stabbed me in the back to get his hands on the cash.:mad:

I totally understand why you were annoyed. If anyone takes the minus offer it tells you a lot about them as a person.
  • Options
    Durham ViperDurham Viper Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But even if he'd gone for the highest offer (£31K), that would have meant you were playing for £62K to be split 4 ways which would have been £15.5K each - surely that wouldn't have been enough to enable you to give up work either!
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even if he'd gone for the highest offer (£31K), that would have meant you were playing for £62K to be split 4 ways which would have been £15.5K each - surely that wouldn't have been enough to enable you to give up work either!

Those were my thoughts too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't have been ideal, but i could just about have afforded it. What really upset me was his two-facedness. He was all supportive before the show. I think the tv people set it up to be honest. They ask you what you intend to do beforehand.
  • Options
    mulderfanmulderfan Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    ahrimaniac wrote: »
    Duncan, I thought you came across as a total prat. It was a game, and Lee had equal right to go low. To be so insulting on TV was just pathetic, truly it was.

totally agree with you
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't have been ideal, but i could just about have afforded it. What really upset me was his two-facedness. He was all supportive before the show. I think the tv people set it up to be honest. They ask you what you intend to do beforehand.

You clearly hadn't watched many shows then if this surprised you. In any case, you very nearly won because you had an extra brain in the final. Even if Lee had taken the middle offer it would only have been 8 and a half grand each. Hardly enough to retire on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you about Lee, but be thankful you got a chance; I auditioned last year & was short-listed, but I've not heard anything since (apart from emails which appear to be sent to all those short-listed, assuring us that we are all still 'in the mix'), filming stops shortly, & with a minimum two weeks between being told you're on & being on, time is running out :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee did not have enough knowledge to get through with the middle offer - let alone the top offer. To be fair to him re the teacher accusations, he is 'only' a primary school teacher - so is only teaching basic stuff. The producers would never put 4 super-brainy contestants together - they don't want to shell out that much money!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee did not have enough knowledge to get through with the middle offer - let alone the top offer. To be fair to him re the teacher accusations, he is 'only' a primary school teacher - so is only teaching basic stuff. The producers would never put 4 super-brainy contestants together - they don't want to shell out that much money!

Have you never watched 'Are you brainier than a ten year old'?
    It amazes me how much ten year olds know.
    When I was at school, we certainly never did science and french before secondary school. They do now.
    (But, I take you point ;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you never watched 'Are you brainier than a ten year old'?
    It amazes me how much ten year olds know.
    When I was at school, we certainly never did science and french before secondary school. They do now.
    (But, I take you point ;))

Sorry. It's 'Are you smarter than a ten year old?' :o
  • Options
    Lorri LouLorri Lou Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt for Duncan as he had the courage of his convictions and went for the higher amount thus benefitting all the team. Fair enough the 2 women went for the middle amounts but still added to the pot. But to push the rest of the team to take the higher offers only to take a negative amount effectively stealing from what the better contestants had earned was poor showing from Lee.

I would rather get knocked out with my integrity intact than to take from the efforts of others. In a way I was glad the team did not defeat the Chaser as would have hated to see Lee get his hands of the cash the others had earned. Great example to the school kids I'm sure :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.