So where is Class?

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Great, another token cast from the BBC, where is the disabled one?

How is it token?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't see that one coming....

...well, yes I could, actually. It's DS. Bet the SJ Adventures had the same reaction. As Ace would say; Gordon Bennett. (the sweary streetwise 80's teen that she was.)
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    How is it token?

I assume they're referring to how they dared make one of the lead characters black.
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    I assume they're referring to how they dared make one of the lead characters black.

Oh my god, and one of the male leads is also non white.

Why the hell do some people on here come out with idiotic terms like "token" because two of the cast members are not white? Why would that be an issue for anyone?

I haven't seen any of the student actors in anything so I can't judge their acting but I'm willing to bet they'll be great and Katherine Kelly, I know she's great so my enthusiasm for the show has increased now for this show.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »

I don't have a problem as long as they are all good actors, I'm just pointing out how token the cast is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same with Top Gear
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Oh my god, and one of the male leads is also non white.

Why the hell do some people on here come out with idiotic terms like "token" because two of the cast members are not white? Why would that be an issue for anyone?

I haven't seen any of the student actors in anything so I can't judge their acting but I'm willing to bet they'll be great and Katherine Kelly, I know she's great so my enthusiasm for the show has increased now for this show.

"Grrrr, they'll be casting turtles next!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same with Top Gear

Bet one of them turns out to be gay or bi. Typical BBC! Grrrr. PC gawd mad. And stuff....

Eta Blinking heck, Lord Smexy. Both did a Grrrrr. Spooky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah slate me for having an opinion, this is the reason I don't post in this forum anymore
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet one of them turns out to be gay or bi. Typical BBC! Grrrr. PC gawd mad. And stuff....

And both with four Rs too.

Grrrr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah slate me for having an opinion, this is the reason I don't post in this forum anymore

Wait until 2356 when the Sabonians of Metralaxis IV start demanding equality. BBC journalists have a field day.
    Forum Member

Given that Ness has had LGBT characters in his books, one of the students could be gay or bisexual.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member

I'm not one for bullying, but if you're going to post a decidedly unpopular opinion then you've got to stand by it and not cry when people tell you what they think of said opinion.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if your planet was massacred and you were the sole survivor?
    What if a legendary figure out of space and time found you a place to hide?

So one of the pupils is an alien then?

Hidden on Earth by the Doctor.

Maybe one of the characters is Turlough's son or daughter following in their Father's footsteps by hiding in a school on Earth :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Maybe one of the characters is Turlough's son or daughter following in their Father's footsteps by hiding in a school on Earth :D

Or it's Ms Kelly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That part went right past my head initially but I actually quite like that idea, if that's what it is.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you post a thinly layered racist opinion, then don't be surprised that some may have something to say about that is response...

The show is about people in a London school, do you think they should all be white or is it more realistic that they are not all white.. Only an idiot doesn't know the answer and only people who have a problem with other colours would have a problem with non whites being in the show.. and then go ring the bell of Oh PC gone mad Oh Tokenism, like crying babies because not everything in TV/Movies/Music is reflecting their white selves... but don't worry you I and all other white people have an unfair overwhelming representation in the media so don't sweat...
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    BIB: Supernatural? Really? One thing that Doctor Who has never had is anything truly supernatural. There have been things that appeared to be supernatural at first but they've always turned out to have a scientific explanation. If it is going to have "real" ghosts it doesn't belong in the Doctor Who universe.
    True. Both the first two 21st century seasons had ghosts, but The Unquiet Dead turned out to be aliens and Army of Ghosts turned out to be Cybermen. We don't DO real ghosts.

As for Class, well, I wonder if Katherine Kelly's character is an English teacher? We know the school has a vacancy for one after Clara's death.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I just hope there aren't any ghosts! There are too many over here already, affecting property values.

:)
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    It'd be nice if there were some small crossover (I'm not expecting Capaldi to rock up in the first episode, depositing the lone alien survivor or anything - although that would be cool!) but I wonder if any of the other teachers we've seen previously in Doctor Who could appear. Just not any of the kids please!
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Interesting that its being referenced as "the British Buffy" as (I think) RTD was influenced a lot by Buffy when he brought Doctor Who back in 2005 - even 'Bad Wolf' is a reference to Buffy's 'The Big Bad' (that is, the main villain each season).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fact the alien is a sole survivor doesn't peek my interest though... It seems to be in vogue though this last decade, everyone is the last of their kind.. and DW has done it so often, so yeah that bit of info makes me eye roll a bit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Interesting that its being referenced as "the British Buffy" as (I think) RTD was influenced a lot by Buffy when he brought Doctor Who back in 2005 - even 'Bad Wolf' is a reference to Buffy's 'The Big Bad' (that is, the main villain each season).

Maybe it's my Buffy fanboyism here, but the thing with that is, nothing can be Buffy because Buffy is Buffy and nobody can be Buffy quite like Buffy. Except Angel.

What I mean to say is, it should try and be its own thing instead of trying to imitate a show it's very unlikely to reach up to.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »

If it was like Buffy in terms of characters, wit and narrative structure then I'd not have a problem. If the threats were actually ghosts and demons and things of a supernatural nature, and not projections and aliens, then I think it would be wrong for it to be set in the Whoniverse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be nice if there were some small crossover (I'm not expecting Capaldi to rock up in the first episode, depositing the lone alien survivor or anything - although that would be cool!) but I wonder if any of the other teachers we've seen previously in Doctor Who could appear. Just not any of the kids please!

Hope Capaldi does show up, maybe in the finale...