Options

Doc Martin (Part 11 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Why do you feel that it wouldn't involve CC? The reasons I think it might continue is that he doesn't seem to have any major irons in the fire, this is the major project of him and his wife, and they haven't moved their stuff out of Cornwall. I think they will announce it before filming when it is the last series.

I can't believe that I know so much about Martin Clunes that I feel like I know every move he makes now. At this time last year I didn't even know who he was. This whole obsession thing I have with this show still completely baffles me. I am usually so detached from what I watch on television. I thought to myself "what the hell are you doing?!!?" the first time I did a google search of his name.

It has been such a long time since we had anything worth watching..... and then two come along together!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you feel that it wouldn't involve CC? The reasons I think it might continue is that he doesn't seem to have any major irons in the fire, this is the major project of him and his wife, and they haven't moved their stuff out of Cornwall. I think they will announce it before filming when it is the last series.

I can't believe that I know so much about Martin Clunes that I feel like I know every move he makes now. At this time last year I didn't even know who he was. This whole obsession thing I have with this show still completely baffles me. I am usually so detached from what I watch on television. I thought to myself "what the hell are you doing?!!?" the first time I did a google search of his name.

:D:D:D:DObviously kindred spirits. I've never bought a fan magazine in my life, but bought the TV times with his picture on the cover. In my case, senility may be setting in. However, it's a relatively harmless obsession, I guess, and one which last night's episode went a long way to satisfy.

As for CC, I just think it's not totally beyond them to try the bereaved widower getting on with life theme. I can hear the anguished cries now....... and would definitely share them. And probably so can they, and wouldn't dare anger their fans that way -- but it's one obvious ploy. :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    ITV1, 9pm: Doc Martin - 8.7 million [34.1%]

Interesting. The official figure will be something of the order of 9.5 million, but probably won't get close to 10 million. I haven't seen all the figures, but the 'officials' for S5 seem to be consistently around 9+ million. It's hard to see ITV not wanting to do at least one more series particularly given that it's still their highest rating drama (dromedy....). The crucial question is whether BP see that there's anything left in it. From a purely business perspective, it seems the choice is almost made for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hod wrote: »
    Cool. Cool, cool, cool!

Are you having a stroke ? or simply willing the air-conditioning to work......
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    :D:D:D:DObviously kindred spirits. I've never bought a fan magazine in my life, but bought the TV times with his picture on the cover.

Did you ask the clerk to put it in a brown paper bag so that you could walk out of the store incognito? I would have been looking over my shoulder...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ask the clerk to put it in a brown paper bag so that you could walk out of the store incognito? I would have been looking over my shoulder...

Possibly would have if I were in my home town, but I'm in England for a while longer, where I don't know a soul except for family who are more or less tolerant of my foibles. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hod wrote: »
    Cool. Cool, cool, cool!

Hod just clicked on a link on the blog -- the one where you say youtubes is not up, try this instead -- and it hung me up. Just checking that it's a link you intended to put there; otherwise perhaps trouble with my computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    We've been staying in a nice hotel in Doha Qatar, and people have been wandering through the lobby and dining areas with name tags bearing this label: WAHO.

This morning it turns out that this means the the annual convention of the World Arabian Horse Organisation opens today in this hotel. Wouldn't it be exciting if Martin Clunes showed up here in his role as president of British Horse (something), on his way to the Seychelles -- rumored to be his next vacation spot? ;)

I knew he would get my message to meet me here!:D:D

I think he filmed there for Horse Power. Keep a look out- you never know!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lambs wrote: »

Oh nice!

I was just extending my excitement over the finale of Series 5 ala Abed - Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

I don't really do excited, but I thought the occasion warranted it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hod just clicked on a link on the blog -- the one where you say youtubes is not up, try this instead -- and it hung me up. Just checking that it's a link you intended to put there; otherwise perhaps trouble with my computer.

Oh dear :o

The link is working for me. Once at the page I then click on the MegaVideo link as I generally find these reliable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member

Same here. I never watch TV, but I do read a lot. To me, this series is like a good book, well written with wonderful characters that engage my imagination. And this forum is just like a book group, I feel fortunate to be able to share my thoughts about DM with like minded people from all over the world.
    Or maybe I've just lost my mind.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did Portwenn leave being idyllic and become almost real to me?. . . Yes, I posted this sometime in May or June and yes, Simplyred, you pulled me back to reality. But, I admit I have slipped back as each week of Series unfolded on my computer. Through tears, I got upset that this may be the end but. . .maybe not. MC hinted that the love story aspect took over this series. It could go in another direction in Series 6. DM could perform more emergency surgery (perhaps in Truo?) Maybe, some cast changes or additions. Bert has been struggling to get around. In the German version Doktor Martin, the role of BL is played by a burley actor--perhaps a brother of Bert's could come into PW after BL is taken ill and step into Al's life. Then, what to do with Mrs. T now?? Perhaps, Pauline could pop back into town to try to get her old job back and the doc is happy with Morwenna!! JH is older and mischievous!! More illnesses and accidents w/ the children of PW; I'm sure each of you could come up w/ some good and better plots.

Between S4 and S5 technology has so advanced in this world that this English series is now available on dvds and so loved in many countries of the world. We in the US have been enjoying it on our local PBS stations for about a year. DM series is advertised in catalogs I receive of dvds for sale.

Series 5 was, and is, a wonderful, delightful viewing experience, and I can watch it over and over. . .bring on Series 6.:):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Still basking in the glow of the Series 5 finale – DM was just so funny when he arrived at the school to explain – now we know what real fear looks like – LOL – by far my fav line was “I’ve already said it twice…” – rates right up there for me with his proposal response “Did you find that useful?” – Proper job Doc Martin crew, proper job!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Indeed a proper job, so rightly said! My frustrations with a few of the previous episodes of Series 5 melted away as Episode 8 unfurled and I came to realise that my frustrations were merely echoing those of Louisa's and, yes, Mrs Tishall's too. A clever piece of writing to draw the viewer into the exasperation, confusion and pain of the characters.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved last night's episode.

Only just realised that Mrs T in real life, was the sister of the late Simon Cadell, (Jeffrey Fairbrother, the Holiday Camp Manager in Hi De Hi).
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still wish LG had said "I love you" to DM, but I suppose we are to believe it's obvious she always loved him and just needed to have him be able to share his emotions with her better (which is very true!).

From LG signifying words for him to say, and him immediately getting them ("I'm an idiot"), it seems they would make a very good charades team! ;-)

PC Penhale's overcoming of his fear at first thought seemed miraculous and inexplicable to me. But, giving it more thought, Maggie's leaving him at first and his grief over it is what began the panic attacks. He still had that fear when he was at the school, climbing the ladder, trying to be some new man for her. But, later, he arranged things between them and at least in his mind that he let her go, which he knew she would, but from his point of view. That is, he made the decision (in their game) that it would be best she left for her safety and she was kind enough to go along with this ruse. Apparently, the way that their relationship ended taught away the fear she would leave, and the true Penhale, still a goofball, but not fear driven, was able to appear again. That's some deep psychological stuff for the writers and I missed it at first, but on more thought think I get it now.

I always thought DM already knew that Mrs. T had a "thing" for him--the yellow sweater, the intense lip smacking they had when he was originally leaving the village in S4, all her attempts to get him to have a biscuit and chat with her. Just like with LG, at times our incredibly clever DM needs to be hit in the head with the obvious before he actually gets it. ;-)

And, it's wonderful he got it in E8.

Mona
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Why is Mrs Tishell always wearing a neck brace?

Sorry, I only dip into the series and it seems like she's been wearing it since episode one. (I've got last nights episode on now, haven't watched it yet)
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Loved last night's episode.

Only just realised that Mrs T in real life, was the sister of the late Simon Cadell, (Jeffrey Fairbrother, the Holiday Camp Manager in Hi De Hi).

I learnt Selena was Simon's sister years ago, (I did think Cadell wasn't a very common name) and once I knew, the family resemblance is obvious. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Well...its over..I thought the episode was wonderful and if they don't make another series of DM I will be okay. I really don't see where they can go with it after this. So much of the show's dynamic has been the "will they/won't they" question. And that has been answered IMHO. Like they say, "the time to leave is when the party is still going strong"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Well...its over..I thought the episode was wonderful and if they don't make another series of DM I will be okay. I really don't see where they can go with it after this. So much of the show's dynamic has been the "will they/won't they" question. And that has been answered IMHO. Like they say, "the time to leave is when the party is still going strong"
    I know where you r comming from, but i just love his program, and have from the very start.Im just hoping that they can keep it coming, hopefully laods of romance and new charecters while i love Morwenna and AR more Bert and pc P, yep theres def room for more. Blimey the scenery and guest stars alone make it very watchable.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Looking back at the season,the writers did an excellent job at framing Louisa's job to be very mundane.
    1. having to dealing w/ a loony sup who sleeps in the boiler room at school
    2. children playing nasty games with each other
    3. ill absent faculty
    4. children who become injured
    5. Serving un-nutritious food that is not up to standards
    6 . An ? sweeps through the children's community causing the vomit buckets to come out

[/LIST]
    In addition Louisa had to deal with babysitter problems:
    1. Unreliable babysitter
    2. Babysitter has major surgery
    3. Babysitter smokes around baby
    4. Baby sitter gives baby alcohol to "sooth" baby
    5. Child care worker hands off baby to teen criminal
    6. Father of baby works full time, willing to help but has little time
    7. Baby has been unknowingly exposed to unknown local viruses in father's work area
    These are the constraints of Louisa's job. But being a really career oriented person, she would resolve these sooner or later.
    However, when James is kidnapped Louisa learns a valuable lesson. 70% of all babies who are kidnapped never are returned to their parents. We all as observers can laugh that Mrs. T would never hurt a fly. But there are people that would not be so nice!
    Louisa has an "Ah HAH" moment. In the car, she never yells at Martin because she realizes she is the root cause of the problem.
    Louisa must take on the fact that NO career is worth the life of her child. By doing so, she still remains the teacher, but she is now James's teacher.
    Since James birth, she has been instructing Martin. 3 months ago he was a ninny who knew nothing about babies and now he is telling her how to hold the baby's head, how to position him, etc. More important, Martin knows and trusts how to read her signals. Thus the communication between teacher and student is wide open.

Louisa your walls are white for a reason. You get to paint the mural with each success of your teaching. Whether its teaching James to say the word, "Ball," or Martin to throw a ball to his son. Louisa your path may be as an artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep taking the pills folks! After reading the thread - many of you need them! ;)
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperchase wrote: »
    Looking back at the season,the writers did an excellent job at framing Louisa's job to be very mundane.
    1. having to dealing w/ a loony sup who sleeps in the boiler room at school
    2. children playing nasty games with each other
    3. ill absent faculty
    4. children who become injured
    5. Serving un-nutritious food that is not up to standards
    6 . An ? sweeps through the children's community causing the vomit buckets to come out

[/LIST]
    In addition Louisa had to deal with babysitter problems:
    1. Unreliable babysitter
    2. Babysitter has major surgery
    3. Babysitter smokes around baby
    4. Baby sitter gives baby alcohol to "sooth" baby
    5. Child care worker hands off baby to teen criminal
    6. Father of baby works full time, willing to help but has little time
    7. Baby has been unknowingly exposed to unknown local viruses in father's work area
    These are the constraints of Louisa's job. But being a really career oriented person, she would resolve these sooner or later.
    However, when James is kidnapped Louisa learns a valuable lesson. 70% of all babies who are kidnapped never are returned to their parents. We all as observers can laugh that Mrs. T would never hurt a fly. But there are people that would not be so nice!
    Louisa has an "Ah HAH" moment. In the car, she never yells at Martin because she realizes she is the root cause of the problem.
    Louisa must take on the fact that NO career is worth the life of her child. By doing so, she still remains the teacher, but she is now James's teacher.
    Since James birth, she has been instructing Martin. 3 months ago he was a ninny who knew nothing about babies and now he is telling her how to hold the baby's head, how to position him, etc. More important, Martin knows and trusts how to read her signals. Thus the communication between teacher and student is wide open.

Louisa your walls are white for a reason. You get to paint the mural with each success of your teaching. Whether its teaching James to say the word, "Ball," or Martin to throw a ball to his son. Louisa your path may be as an artist.

I really like your ideas about Louisa as an artist/teacher.

Well thank goodness it is PW and not real life when it comes to the kidnapping of Louisa's child. James has a much better chance of getting returned to his parents there, no doubt about that.

Louisa makes a conscious decision in the car to not get worked up or too upset so that she can preserve her energy to get James back. While I am sure that many of us can trace the root causes of our problems back to our mothers :rolleyes:, I don't think that Louisa is the root cause of Mrs T kidnapping her child. It's not right to blame the victim for another person's crime. Like the title of one of the eps "sh*t happens". If Mrs T wanted to get that baby, she was going to get him, whether Louisa was working or not.

I stayed home with my children, it was my decision, etc. But I try not to judge others who made a different decision. We are all made differently when it comes to these decisions. A lot of women I know tried staying home but were bored to death, and others who tried to work and ended up quitting because they wanted to be home. It's a personal choice, but I don't think either is right or wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I really like your ideas about Louisa as an artist/teacher.

Well thank goodness it is PW and not real life when it comes to the kidnapping of Louisa's child. James has a much better chance of getting returned to his parents there, no doubt about that.

Louisa makes a conscious decision in the car to not get worked up or too upset so that she can preserve her energy to get James back. While I am sure that many of us can trace the root causes of our problems back to our mothers :rolleyes:, I don't think that Louisa is the root cause of Mrs T kidnapping her child. It's not right to blame the victim for another person's crime. Like the title of one of the eps "sh*t happens". If Mrs T wanted to get that baby, she was going to get him, whether Louisa was working or not.

What I meant by Louisa being the "Root Cause," her mother left suddenly and she had no other choice but to ask Martin.
    Martin explained he had patients, and he also explained Morwenna was not the back up babysitter. Also earlier this season, Morwenna asked to be her nanny, and LG had said no.
    In the car LG was trying to make a conscious decision not to get worked up. However, LG was very aware of the overtones of her role in the event. There is no blame here.
    I see it as a cascade of events.
    I see the entire event a path of light for Louisa for which she will make future decisions based on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lambs wrote: »

....and if so, who are you stroking?;):D:p:D;)

Oh I see - Al Abed;););)
This discussion has been closed.