Options

Emergency Tax Question

AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
Forum Member
Does anyone know how I can change a tax code I work for two University’s in Leicester and one of them have worked for nearly a year and am paying the correct tax the other University I started working for about a month ago and noticed on my first payslip that I am on emergency tax but I have tried ringing HMRC to fix this but been left on hold for ages until I had to hang up cannot seem to find an email address to contact them either ,so my questions are

Will HMRC automatically alter my tax code for me so I do not continue to pay emergency tax or does someone have an email address for me to contact them as I have not got time to be wasting on hold on the phone for hours >:(

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you give your employer a copy of your P45 from your last employer? Or from benefits if you were on JSA?

If you didn't do that, it would explain why you are on emergency tax.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have 2 jobs you need to ask your second employer for a p46 form which they send off for you.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    If you have 2 jobs you need to ask your second employer for a p46 form which they send off for you.

Ooops I missed the 2 jobs part. That will teach me to skim read >:(
  • Options
    AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
    Forum Member

Thanks i will ask them to give me a P46 form to fill in and send off.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chances are though that if your first job pays more than the personal allowance (£10k now?) then your code for the 2nd job won't change
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chances are though that if your first job pays more than the personal allowance (£10k now?) then your code for the 2nd job won't change

I was just about to say the same myself
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and if the employer knows what they are doing they will tell you P46's were abolished. if they give you one to complete you are wasting your time.

the only way to resolve it is to call HMRC. call mid morning or mid afternoon between Tuesdays and Thursdays in weeks when there is no bank/public holiday. avoid early mornings, late afternoons and about midday to 2pm when more people call before/after work and of course the lunch period. at certain times of the year it will be busier due to year ends and other deadlines

btw if you are on "emergency tax" aka the emergency tax code then you would be on 1000L week one which would give a full tax allowance. what code are you actually on? BR is the basic rate code which is completely different to emergency tax code and gives no tax allowance. upon starting a second job you complete a new start declaration which is similar to a P46 and if you state you have another job or source of income you would go on the BR code
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be on a standard tax code with your main job, and your second job should have you on basic rate. (Code BR). If your main salary for whatever reason would put you into the 40% tax bracket, your second job should give you tax code D0.

If you think you've overpaid tax, you can ask the tax office to allow you to fill in a self-assessment tax return. Any overpayments will be returned to you. (Though if for some reason your employers messed up, you may be required to make an additional payment to HMRC!)
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [quote=tellytart1;72453817]You should be on a standard tax code with your main job, and your second job should have you on basic rate. (Code BR). If your main salary for whatever reason would put you into the 40% tax bracket, your second job should give you tax code D0.

If you think you've overpaid tax, you can ask the tax office to allow you to fill in a self-assessment tax return. Any overpayments will be returned to you. (Though if for some reason your employers messed up, you may be required to make an additional payment to HMRC!)[/quote]

it depends on how much is being paid between each job as if the salary in the first job is under the tax bracket the allowance can be split between two jobs so have 600L at one job and 400L at another