The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Did anybody expect Vera to rate higher than Endeavour?

Yes, it's more 'down to earth' and the easier to follow.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Perhaps ITV could potentially show it, but the commercial side of things wouldn't really be viable for them. They need to find an act, fund the act, promote the act (although in fairness the BBC have been terrible at promoting the act recently), and unless they go down the commercial route and make money on the act there would be no profit for them. It's all speculation anyway, and maybe one day it will end up on a commercial station, but I don't think the BBC are going to give it up in the near future. I do think however, that next year, less effort will be made because they made an effort this year but it still under performed. Then again, as much as our song was good, it didn't really stand out amongst the strong entries. If it was a weak year then the UK would have done better. It wasn't just the UK making an effort this year, everybody did - except France!

With regards to cost: The BBC pay an entry fee of £310,000 just to be part of the contest. The contest itself costs £30m to stage. 50% is paid for by the host nation. 50% is paid for by the Big 5 countries, so the BBC would pay on average £3,310,000 to participate. This gives them the Urbi et Orbi link ups at Easter and also any other broadcast that they require. It gives them 7 hours of TV broadcasts and generates around 9m viewers average. It gives them publicity overseas and allows them to promote their shows. Not bad for the price. But £3,310,000 is quite a lot if you rely on ads to survive.

It's not just the Big 5 who pays, every country has to pay a fee to participate. It's just that the Big 5's fee is the largest so they get automatic pass to the final.

Other than the fee I don't think any broadcaster other than the host directly puts any money towards the staging of the event.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In The Flesh is one of BBC3's not very often flops. Awful figure, down from last week
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In The Flesh is one of BBC3's not very often flops. Awful figure, down from last week

The Sky At Night on BBC4 was a lot better then in The Fresh and it maybe even got higher ratings.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    For all that itv had a good night in Total People, can't help but feel they skew far too old on Sundays. 6.3% share in 16-34 is dreadful, beaten by Four and almost by Five.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    BARB have updated with ratings for w/c 28 April :)
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps ITV could potentially show it, but the commercial side of things wouldn't really be viable for them. They need to find an act, fund the act, promote the act (although in fairness the BBC have been terrible at promoting the act recently), and unless they go down the commercial route and make money on the act there would be no profit for them. It's all speculation anyway, and maybe one day it will end up on a commercial station, but I don't think the BBC are going to give it up in the near future. I do think however, that next year, less effort will be made because they made an effort this year but it still under performed. Then again, as much as our song was good, it didn't really stand out amongst the strong entries. If it was a weak year then the UK would have done better. It wasn't just the UK making an effort this year, everybody did - except France!

I don't know if the Beeb generally made any greater an effort this year than they have done in previous years. Certainly the whole business of finding an act remains a tough one because some people just don't want to do it, you can look at the year when Andrew Lloyd-Webber did it and the acts participating were just people who weren't good enough for The X Factor, because people would rather do The X Factor. I don't see how any broadcaster could make it any bigger a deal. ITV wouldn't do it any differently.

Course, ITV did show Junior Eurovision for a while, in 2003 they showed the UK heat and the contest itself live on Saturday nights, for the latter even dumping Pop Idol to 5.50. It was a big flop though, and in later years it was only shown on ITV2 to see out the contract, then dropped completely. And rightly so, it was a stupid thing to buy, it was totally unappealing, proper worthy but dull programming.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Looking at the France figures, it's becoming increasingly irrelevant there. Could there be a real risk of them pulling out ?

What would happen then, would the other members of the "big five" (including the UK) have to stump up more cash?

As mentioned, no different to when Italy didn't take part in it for many years. I'm afraid I'm one of those idiots who says they like the French entries to look a bit cool and I was thrilled they got exactly what I was hoping for in the voting, because I can pretend everyone failed to understand it.
    Dancc wrote: »
    For all that itv had a good night in Total People, can't help but feel they skew far too old on Sundays. 6.3% share in 16-34 is dreadful, beaten by Four and almost by Five.

I'd be absolutely fascinated to see the rating for last night's Perspectives because the combination of a hugely esoteric subject and a not very famous presenter must surely have taken it to a record low, not just for the series but also perhaps the slot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The Sky At Night on BBC4 was a lot better then in The Fresh and it maybe even got higher ratings.

Surely it isn't just my husband and myself who dread watching the lady presenter's weird expressions and gestures, I actually may stop watching a priogramme I have loved for years. How did she get this job, her manner and speech are offputting! I joined digital spy to find out if it was just us!
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    In The Flesh is a great drama, it's such a shame that it receives such an awful rating. It seems people would rather watch crap like The Call Centre on BBC 3.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Possibly the last word on Eurovision - considering the winner this year, and the fact that most view the UK as a joke, we should send Mrs Brown as the 2015 entry. We could probably do just as well as this year, and tie it in with a special episode of Mrs Browns Boys where she is accidentally selected as the UK entry for Eurovision :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Possibly the last word on Eurovision - considering the winner this year, and the fact that most view the UK as a joke, we should send Mrs Brown as the 2015 entry. We could probably do just as well as this year, and tie it in with a special episode of Mrs Browns Boys where she is accidentally selected as the UK entry for Eurovision :)

Brendan O'Carroll is Irish....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What drama will ITV play this Autumn in place of Doc Martin?
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One and ITV both had a good night - The Crimson Field will return with those numbers. It has held up strongly across its run.

Vera has turned out to be a strong hit. Whilst Catchphrase and Off Their Rockers could be doing better, they are remaining solid beforehand.

BBC Two had an ok night. Fargo is holding up on Channel 4, with strong demos I suspect. For the Love of Cars isn't doing very well at 8pm though. It should be doing better for what it is.

Five didn't crack 1 million all evening which is disappointing. I thought The Bucket List would have done a million.

In The Flesh isn't doing very well at all which is a shame. I don't think BBC3 viewers expect to see dramas on the channel, especially as they have cut back immensely on drama on the channel in the past. Lip Service was cancelled after two series and The Fades only got one series, despite being critically acclaimed. The viewers expect documentaries or scripted reality, such as The Call Centre or repeats of Family Guy.

In The Flesh may have done better on BBC Two, which conversely, has had an excellent reputation in showing drama in the past year.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know Eurovision's had a good rating when we start discussing ways of moving it to ITV. :D
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/12/fox-2014-15-schedule-announced-gotham-mondays-bones-shifts-to-thursday-brooklyn-nine-nine-joins-sunday/262992/

Fox' fall schedule realeased, Brooklyn Nine Nine goes to Sundays, which is probably the best chance it has. Gotham has a tough start v the Voice/DWTS/TBBT but a good pairing with Sleepy Hollow. And some strange scheduling for new big hope Utopia on Tuesdays and Fridays, I don't hold much hope out for that.

Plus it seems they are trying very hard to cut Glees final season down from 22 episodes.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One and ITV both had a good night - The Crimson Field will return with those numbers. It has held up strongly across its run.

Vera has turned out to be a strong hit. Whilst Catchphrase and Off Their Rockers could be doing better, they are remaining solid beforehand.

BBC Two had an ok night. Fargo is holding up on Channel 4, with strong demos I suspect. For the Love of Cars isn't doing very well at 8pm though. It should be doing better for what it is.

Five didn't crack 1 million all evening which is disappointing. I thought The Bucket List would have done a million.

In The Flesh isn't doing very well at all which is a shame. I don't think BBC3 viewers expect to see dramas on the channel, especially as they have cut back immensely on drama on the channel in the past. Lip Service was cancelled after two series and The Fades only got one series, despite being critically acclaimed. The viewers expect documentaries or scripted reality, such as The Call Centre or repeats of Family Guy.

In The Flesh may have done better on BBC Two, which conversely, has had an excellent reputation in showing drama in the past year.

I agree with most of that. Just to say that BBC3's most successful and best drama was Being Human. That was a Sunday night staple and outrated The Fades and In The Flesh very easily, although I like all three.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to remember that the UK is part of the Big 5 for several reasons. Mainly because it guarantees a substantial audience which is vital for the ESC. But, you have to realise that we have that status because of the investment made by the broadcaster, the BBC, not because we're the UK. To continue getting Big 5 status ITV would have to match or better the BBC's investment otherwise the UK would be in the semi finals with no guarantee of performing on final night which is where the audience lies. Would ITV be prepared to match the BBC's investment for just 8 minutes of ad revenue and equally, would the ESC grant ITV automatic Big 5 status if they appeared to be less committed than the BBC. It really isn't as straightforward as "the BBC don't want it so we'll have it".
    I don't think whether the UK is in the final or not would make much difference to ratings, especially as I think should ITV take the contest they'd probably air the semi-finals on ITV(1) too and they'd be good for 4m+ I'd have thought if they weren't hidden away and ITV sold it as a week long event.
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/12/fox-2014-15-schedule-announced-gotham-mondays-bones-shifts-to-thursday-brooklyn-nine-nine-joins-sunday/262992/

Fox' fall schedule realeased, Brooklyn Nine Nine goes to Sundays, which is probably the best chance it has. Gotham has a tough start v the Voice/DWTS/TBBT but a good pairing with Sleepy Hollow. And some strange scheduling for new big hope Utopia on Tuesdays and Fridays, I don't hold much hope out for that.

Plus it seems they are trying very hard to cut Glees final season down from 22 episodes.
    ... to 0 if they've any sense.

Agree about Utopia - the premise of that is basically zero production interference and zero game, and that just doesn't appeal to the US audience. It didn't work for the original Big Brother so it's certainly not going to work 15 years later.

Also notice NBC have given The Blacklist the post-Superbowl slot.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking at the BARB monthly stats and noting the 2pt drop for BBC1, so went looking for where the viewers went and I can't see where?

So i fired up Excel and added up the numbers for the "Other viewing" and found a discrepancy:
    BARB total %s:
    Feb-Apr: 44.5 	46.3 	48.3
    Excel total %s:
    Feb-Apr:43.2  	45.5 	46.5

I guess it's just a rounding error from displaying the individual channels to 1DP?

K
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it isn't just my husband and myself who dread watching the lady presenter's weird expressions and gestures, I actually may stop watching a programme I have loved for years. How did she get this job, her manner and speech are offputting! I joined digital spy to find out if it was just us!

I am quite happy with the male presenter, Maybe he should just present it without the women. Don't really want to stop watching as I am interested in space. That is the only program apart from Stargazing once a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multichannel for Sunday 11th May

1 Sky Sp 2 02:55 PM Live Ford Super Sunday 1042 7.8%
    2 BBC Three 07:40 PM Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 864 3.8%
    3 Sky Sp 1 02:00 PM Live Ford Super Sunday 831 6%
    4 ITV2 05:45 PM Britain's Got More Talent 738 4.4%
    5 ITV2 04:40 PM Britain's Got Talent 659 4.4%
    6 Sky Sports F1 12:00 PM Live Spanish F1 Grand Prix 642 5.5%
    7 More4 06:25 PM Come Dine with Me 620 3.4%
    8 ITV2 07:15 PM Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 618 2.8%
    9 More4 07:30 PM Come Dine with Me 607 2.9%
    10 More4 06:55 PM Come Dine with Me 555 2.8%

That rating particularly stands out. 1.6m the night before before consolidated ratings come in, plus another 740k.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    EE has the two most watched soap episodes of the week then! No surprise though, it should be with the amount of promotion!
    What was it with +1 included?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multichannel for Sunday 11th May

1 Sky Sp 2 02:55 PM Live Ford Super Sunday 1042 7.8%
    2 BBC Three 07:40 PM Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 864 3.8%
    3 Sky Sp 1 02:00 PM Live Ford Super Sunday 831 6%
    4 ITV2 05:45 PM Britain's Got More Talent 738 4.4%
    5 ITV2 04:40 PM Britain's Got Talent 659 4.4%
    6 Sky Sports F1 12:00 PM Live Spanish F1 Grand Prix 642 5.5%
    7 More4 06:25 PM Come Dine with Me 620 3.4%
    8 ITV2 07:15 PM Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 618 2.8%
    9 More4 07:30 PM Come Dine with Me 607 2.9%
    10 More4 06:55 PM Come Dine with Me 555 2.8%

That rating particularly stands out. 1.6m the night before before consolidated ratings come in, plus another 740k.
    BGMT doing really well this year. I'm not a fan anymore - it used to be brilliant and literally felt like an extension of the main show with added behind the scenes clips of the judges and Ant and Dec, but now it's far too much about Stephen Mulhern with only 4-5 extra acts. The judges clips can still be brilliant but it's a bit too knowing now and just not as watchable IMO.

P.S. Anyone got the match figure for SS1. From above it appears Liverpool got a higher audience than Man City which wouldn't be too surprising, but the City game of course includes an hour of build up and probably the same again afterwards.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of Britain's Got Talent, for anyone wondering how the audience breaks down for an episode, including repeats - this for April 26th:

Britain's Got Talent
    26/04 - 20:00 - ITV - 11.32m (48.6%)
    26/04 - 23:15 - ITV2 - 501k (4.9%)
    27/04 - 14:00 - ITV - 1.22m (10.3%)
    27/04 - 16:30 - ITV2 - 688k (4.6%)
    03/05 - 12:05 - ITV2 - 228k (3.4%)
    Total => 13.95m

Britain's Got More Talent
    26/04 - 21:15 - ITV2 - 1.35m (6.1%)
    26/04 - 24:30 - ITV2 - 324k (6.4%)
    27/04 - 17:45 - ITV2 - 752k (4.3%)
    03/05 - 13:20 - ITV2 - 284k (3.8%)
    Total => 2.90m (inc 2x Wed repeats)

By the same measure a 'total' of 15.62m watched the first episode of Britain's Got Talent this year across multiple ITV and ITV2 airings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vera's second episode consolidated to 5.98m + around 700k (roughly) on HD plus 448k on +1.

That adds up to 7.13m up from the 5.56m overnight. (timeshift of 1.57m)

The Crimson Field consolidated to 6.01m up from the 4.42m overnight (timeshift of 1.59m)
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Not sure I think Catchphrase/OTR or infact any LE show is doing ok with those numbers. Would have thought 3.5m is the bare minimum such shows should be getting we are not exactly in the height of summer and these are going out at peaktime Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.