Sky catchup query and quality

robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
I noticed that the quality on BBC HD downloads via catchup was better than recording from the HD channel.

It has now got me wondering wether this is the case for all catchup programming. Am I better off downloading programmes rather than recording them on there respective HD channels? I am trying to compare other channels, so far MTV HD looked a bit sharper as a download.

On that note...can i queue up downloads remotely via the app or website rather than having to browse on the TV? It would be nice to be able to 'series link' but get the download instead.

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The downloaded versions can indeed look better because they don't have to be compressed on the fly in real time as live transmissions are, and things can fall over if there is demanding material at the same time on other channels on the same transponder.
    Also there's often no DOGs or commercial breaks on the downloads!
    :)
  • robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I'm new to Sky so trying to work out what is best. I take it certain channels will be worse than there downloads. 5 HD for example looked more washed out than the download version, but the quality wasn't that bad.

So far it was BBC that seemed worst. Just could do with a way of 'reminding' me to download the programmes I want on the planner.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'm new to Sky so trying to work out what is best. I take it certain channels will be worse than there downloads. 5 HD for example looked more washed out than the download version, but the quality wasn't that bad.

So far it was BBC that seemed worst. Just could do with a way of 'reminding' me to download the programmes I want on the planner.

There's talk of an update towards the end of the year that will allow series links for on demand content, so you'll have to sit tight until then and try to remember to download instead of record :).
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With BBC content it's worth remembering that a lot of their content currently has quite short expiration dates - not a problem if you're intending to watch it close to the broadcast date, but otherwise be aware it might be automatically deleted before you get a chance to watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    With BBC content it's worth remembering that a lot of their content currently has quite short expiration dates - not a problem if you're intending to watch it close to the broadcast date, but otherwise be aware it might be automatically deleted before you get a chance to watch it.

Thanks, I forgot about the 7 day expiration. How long does content downloaded typically last for other catchup services? Probably worth me keeping recording programmes just in case they get deleted.
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I forgot about the 7 day expiration. How long does content downloaded typically last for other catchup services? Probably worth me keeping recording programmes just in case they get deleted.

It depends, most shows on Sky channels are 4 weeks/30 days though there can be shows that expire two weeks after broadcast date. Other channels can be anything from a week to 30 days too, I notice a few shows on Comedy Central and Fox recently that expire after a week.

Some shows might not be deleted off your box if you have it downloaded, though they are few and far between I think? Or have a different date for deletion compared to the expiry date shown in the info box in the On Demand section. If you press the info button in your planner on downloaded shows, you can see the deletion date, if it has one.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the programmes I get from Sky branded channels on catch up have no delete date, so they stay forever.

There are exceptions. Showtime programmes on Sky Atlantic only last a couple of weeks. Modern Family gets deleted after a month, but About A Boy doesn't.

We're stacking Hannibal from Living to watch in one go when we have the whole series.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    The downloaded versions can indeed look better because they don't have to be compressed on the fly in real time as live transmissions are, and things can fall over if there is demanding material at the same time on other channels on the same transponder.
    Also there's often no DOGs or commercial breaks on the downloads!
    :)
    Annoyingly it's the BBC who do put dogs on thier On Demand content
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I noticed that the quality on BBC HD downloads via catchup was better than recording from the HD channel.

It has now got me wondering wether this is the case for all catchup programming. Am I better off downloading programmes rather than recording them on there respective HD channels? I am trying to compare other channels, so far MTV HD looked a bit sharper as a download.

On that note...can i queue up downloads remotely via the app or website rather than having to browse on the TV? It would be nice to be able to 'series link' but get the download instead.

The SD content looks like DVD quality, its so much better than the linear broadcast versions. I have Derek500 to thank for that tip....
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hopefully BBC will have 30 days available by the end of the summer (which, going by the weather, i think was yesterday lol)
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note also that there is usually a difference between the "expiry date from On Demand" (after which it cannot be downloaded) and the "deletion date" (when download will be deleted from the planner).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes we can hope they extend it to 30 days soon! I've noticed that the catch up on most channels only adds what appears to be 'new' programmes for that week. I presume that is the case that only the new series appear rather than main programming on the channels that week, which is where I presume to catch up on older series of programmes that recording and series linking shows or using the box sets is the best alternative.
  • D4N1EL11D4N1EL11 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I'm currently a sky tv subscriber.....if I cancel my subscription will I still have access to catch up tv? Thanks
    Dan
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D4N1EL11 wrote: »
    I'm currently a sky tv subscriber.....if I cancel my subscription will I still have access to catch up tv? Thanks
    Dan

You won't have any access on your Sky box unless you pay for a Sky+ Recording Subscription (£10 a month) which gets you BBC iPlayer ONLY
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully BBC will have 30 days available by the end of the summer (which, going by the weather, i think was yesterday lol)

Isn't most content already available for 30 days , as an example 'Happy Valley' Episode 1 through 5 are available with the first episode being broadcast on the 29/04/14.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't most content already available for 30 days , as an example 'Happy Valley' Episode 1 through 5 are available with the first episode being broadcast on the 29/04/14.

Is there any others, or is that a 1 off?

Most BBC iPlayer stuff lasts 7 days, they announced recently they are extending it to 30, sometime in the summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26888421
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any others, or is that a 1 off?

Most BBC iPlayer stuff lasts 7 days, they announced recently they are extending it to 30, sometime in the summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26888421

Drama series have all episodes available until seven days after the final one is broadcast.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what is happening but a lot of stuff I have recorded has just cut out in the middle before the program ends on my box lately.
    Though lucky for me the stuff is on the on demand service so been able to get the last 15 mins.