Heafty phone bill from Cruise ship network

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
Just got home to find I've been whacked with a £102 mobile bill after O2 sent me a text message saying I would be charged no more than 50p per hour for making calls whilst roaming.

Turns out when the ship is at sea my phone was automatically connecting to the ships on board maritime satellite network which costs a whopping £1.20 per minute. The network was called "On Waves" and according to their website I should have received a text message stating their on board charges but I didn't. All I got was a text from O2 saying while I was in Europe I would only be billed 50p for the first hour then normal UK rates thereafter. I did get a notification saying I was now connected to the Thomson Dream Network but just assumed as we were still in Europe standard roaming rates still applied.

Do I stand any chance of contesting my bill as I was not informed of such charges and none are listed on their website so no way to find out before making calls? My phone connects automatically so I was unaware that I was being billed at a higher rate.

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

If you select show all countries it does list ships/ferries/airline networks.

Information is on the website, and you should never assume that you are been charged standard European rate on a cruise ship.

You can try and contest it, but I wouldn't have relied solely on a text from 02 with regards to rates, I would have taken my own responsibility, and only used the phone on land. Maybe not the reply you wanted...but sometimes we have to take our own responsibility rather than blame others.
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The O2 text would have been sent when roaming onto a land based "normal" network.

The ship networks are their own thing and are charged differently. As previously mentioned, all details are on the O2 website.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    All the information is out there. It is your responsibilty to check.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

If you select show all countries it does list ships/ferries/airline networks.

Information is on the website, and you should never assume that you are been charged standard European rate on a cruise ship.

You can try and contest it, but I wouldn't have relied solely on a text from 02 with regards to rates, I would have taken my own responsibility, and only used the phone on land. Maybe not the reply you wanted...but sometimes we have to take our own responsibility rather than blame others.

I rang O2 before I went to ask about roaming charges and all they asked me was, "Are you staying within Europe?" Which of course I was. They never mentioned anything to me about cruise ships and how was I to know it was connecting to a satellite network when my phone connects automatically to the nearest available network without notifying me.

I think a bit more transparency is needed here. The link you provided just asks you to supply a country. It's only when you click on 'show all countries' then right down there at the bottom of the list it says ships/ferries/airplanes. They don't exactly go out of their way to make it clear. They asked me if I was staying in Europe and I was. I've never been on a ship before. I just assumed that whenever it was near land it was picking up the local network from shore. I had no idea it was picking up the ships satellite otherwise I wouldn't have made the calls. I rang for advice and even told the guy that I was going on a cruise because at the end of the call he said, 'enjoy your. cruise'. Surely they should have been advising me. correctly seeing as they know more than I do. Knowing I was going on a ship, why wasn't I offered a different calling plan?
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh that's a pain, yes the information is technically there, but it's easy to see how you missed it. It's not particularly obvious.

Try calling O2 and see what they say, if the adviser on the phone gave bad advice and you make enough of a polite fuss, in writing, with all the details, they may knock some of the bill off as a gesture of goodwill.

Remember they are not legally entitled to, so be polite and hope for the best.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The O2 operator was probably assuming you were going to roam whilst in port, not while out at sea.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These scams operate by never charging more than a few hundred quid. Any amount more than that and people would go to court to dispute it.

And it is a scam, the idea that "you should have checked" is nonsense. These companies (the cruise ship) know exactly what they are doing.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    These scams operate by never charging more than a few hundred quid. Any amount more than that and people would go to court to dispute it.

And it is a scam, the idea that "you should have checked" is nonsense. These companies (the cruise ship) know exactly what they are doing.

I quite agree, I am with the OP on this. There is just not enough transparency when it comes to phone costs. I consider myself pretty savvy on such things, but my friends and relatives haven't a clue. I just pointed out this morning that a work colleague of mine (I pay the bill) incurred a £15 charge on a single 0845 call from his mobile. He said "I thought 08 numbers were free, I deliberately didn't use the landline because I thought that would cost.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One day I'm sure it will be properly regulated, but they get away with it because they can claim you're in international waters - even if you're quite clearly still within the EU.

I've been on boats (Scandinavian Seaways from Harwich to Esbjerg) and I think that has one of those onboard phone networks. Bear in mind, for some of the journey you'll pick up signal from nearby land - such as the UK, Netherlands and Denmark - but then you'll also roam onto the ship system. That's where it's risky as you might have opted to enable roaming, but can't effectively bar one network over another.

The boat has free Wi-Fi, which didn't work all of the time, so it's funny that you can surf for nothing but be expected to pay a small fortune to make a call. I guess you could Skype, but it may or may not have been blocked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spoke to an advisor who said that she would be willing to investigate the call conversation and if I did indeed mention about going on a cruise ship and wasn't advised properly then I may be entitled to a rebate. I have a call log on my phone which states the exact time I called them at 13:16 on the 29th May. She came back and said that they don't have a log of any such call. How convenient (for them). She said the call may have gone through to the PAYG team which don't log calls. I didn't call from my payg phone. I called them from my contract handset because I have the call log right here in front of me on my phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I rang O2 before I went to ask about roaming charges and all they asked me was, "Are you staying within Europe?" Which of course I was. They never mentioned anything to me about cruise ships and how was I to know it was connecting to a satellite network when my phone connects automatically to the nearest available network without notifying me.

I think a bit more transparency is needed here. The link you provided just asks you to supply a country. It's only when you click on 'show all countries' then right down there at the bottom of the list it says ships/ferries/airplanes. They don't exactly go out of their way to make it clear. They asked me if I was staying in Europe and I was. I've never been on a ship before. I just assumed that whenever it was near land it was picking up the local network from shore. I had no idea it was picking up the ships satellite otherwise I wouldn't have made the calls. I rang for advice and even told the guy that I was going on a cruise because at the end of the call he said, 'enjoy your. cruise'. Surely they should have been advising me. correctly seeing as they know more than I do. Knowing I was going on a ship, why wasn't I offered a different calling plan?

Perfectly clear to me, but then again I did look, and read what it says, rather than expect it to jump out in front of me, so that is no excuse.

Though speaking to someone and been given bad information is something else, I hope you remembered the details and person you spoke to about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Perfectly clear to me, but then again I did look, and read what it says, rather than expect it to jump out in front of me, so that is no excuse.

Though speaking to someone and been given bad information is something else, I hope you remembered the details and person you spoke to about this.

Without a call log it's pretty much my word against theirs and they say they can't find the call on their system even though I have it logged on my handset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Without a call log it's pretty much my word against theirs and they say they can't find the call on their system even though I have it logged on my handset.

Have you tried the CAB to see if they can suggest anything?