How can people afford to go on holiday when everyone else is struggling

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because a lot less people are struggling then they make out.
  • RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    If you can't answer it then perhaps your education wasn't all that great...

The point I'm getting at is we're mostly the product of our upbringing; way before we even go to school, our fundamental mechanisms for navigating the world are put in place by our parents.

The way we face or hide from problems,the way we deal with our own emotions, how sensitive we are to the emotions of others, our self-esteem and confidence under stress... these all come from our upbringing, and really that's all we mean when we say "someone made good decisions".

In short, invariably, if your parents gave a shit, then you will too.

I never claimed to have all the answers, the path to success can be different for everyone depending who and where they are. It's up to them to find the path themselves.

Fair enough, if that's what you want to believe. I believe that my life is in my hands. If I want something, I have to go get it. If I fail then it's my fault.

Speaking of which, three days of exams coming up, and I'm wasting my study time on DS, bad choice?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28054758

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/airport-ready-for-the-great-holiday-getaway-168955n.24604463

How can people afford to go away ever year on holiday when everyone is struggling to make earns meat or struggle to pay off bills and put food on table thought everyone doesnt have any money cant afford to go away at all

Everyone really!!!!
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure that I can really answer that for you.

As an example. I'm 26 years old and went to a below average school. I am "friends" with the majority of my people from my year on Facebook. Those who didn't work hard at school, messed around and didn't pay attention to their future, are from what I can see, pretty much living on the breadline, if now below. Those who worked hard AND smart, and continued to do so through their adult years, are much more successful.

Of course, as a few of you like will enjoy pointing out, there are always exceptions. The truth is found in the average pattern.

what about people who are struggling through no fault of their own ?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yawn, not another stupid higgy thread.

Not everyone is struggling. Some people are doing really well for themselves. If you are a couple in your 40s or 50s with decent jobs, the mortgage paid off and kids left home then you are laughing all of the way to the bank.
  • Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that my life is in my hands. If I want something, I have to go get it. If I fail then it's my fault.

Absolutely, and I never suggested otherwise. But the mere fact that you have the lucidity and self-awareness to hold this view is a product of your upbringing.

Left unattended and unguided as a child, you would have been extremely unlikely to develop such a positive outlook. And plenty of people, though no fault of their own, fall in that category.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Not really, there's too much at steak.

Well done? Steak related replies are very rare.
  • Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Because many people are doing better than ever? There's hundreds of thousands of mortgage borrowers enjoying windfall mortgage rates of 1-2%.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Another Higgyism to add to the list.:D

Lol, my quote was meant to be to the poster who was pointing out the OP's dodgy spelling and grammar, but we get told off for it, so wasn't going to mention it myself.

I wasn't wondering why people can't afford holidays etc, as I pointed out in my first post.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be perfectly honest you lot pay for my holidays out of my pensions and DLA , thank you all
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Well done? Steak related replies are very rare.

That's a great pun. Well done!
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Oh yawn, not another stupid higgy thread.

Not everyone is struggling. Some people are doing really well for themselves. If you are a couple in your 40s or 50s with decent jobs, the mortgage paid off and kids left home then you are laughing all of the way to the bank.
    Did somebody call? ;-)

Sad to say it but the recession only affected those people who were affected by it. A lot of people carried on working, unemployment didn't get close to 100% and there are some areas of commerce & business that actually thrive in poor economic circumstances.

But mainly not smoking, not spending 5 nights a week in a pub or a discotheque and not having Sky Sports + Films is a good start to being able to buy new cars & have nice holidays.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/airport-ready-for-the-great-holiday-getaway-168955n.24604463

How can people afford to go away ever year on holiday when everyone is struggling to make earns meat or struggle to pay off bills and put food on table thought everyone doesnt have any money cant afford to go away at all

It's simple. some people can afford it and some cannot, Some people put a bit away each week/month and others deny themselves treats throughout the eyar so they can use that money for a holiday as they prefer to do it that way.

Some people do struggle and some do not and some of those that struggle still go on holiday as they feel that is important and budget accordingly.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you remember the Tory politician who got into trouble for saying not everyone was struggling with the downturn?

Was it George Young. Not sure
  • Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I don't earn much (£750 p/m) but I budget each month and so far I've managed to afford a weekend in York and I'll have enough money put aside for a week in Cornwall (staying with my Grandparents so saving money there).

There are those who can't afford to go on holiday, and I guess some turn to payday lenders to fund their holidays. It's sad really because everyone deserves to have a break and a change of scene
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Do you remember the Tory politician who got into trouble for saying not everyone was struggling with the downturn?

Was it George Young. Not sure
    Whoever said it was right. Clearly though in the modern world facts aren't welcome in political debate, esp from Tory politicians.
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    How can they afford it? Isn't it called Visa?

Seriously though, some of my work colleagues do just that and slap the cost on the plastic to pay it off over a few months and then do it all over again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Work hard & gave up the **** ,booze & drugs, try it and enjoy:p
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Is the OP really this dim?
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Is the OP really this dim?

The OP is just a serial thread creator. He posts an inane musing and then never returns. He isn't actually looking for an answer. I think he is trying to create some sort of celebrity status buy appearing to be stupid, in the vain of such posters as CrazyChris and a few other so called "legends" but he is just being a leg end in the end.

Why people fall for it is quite baffling as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in my early twenties; still live at home (I pay rent and upkeep of course) work full time but wouldn't say I'm in a great place. I save for my holidays.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Everyone isn't struggling. I'm not struggling for starters.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Myself and the wife both earn below the average wage (her at £19.5k and me at £21.5k), yet we're not struggling and can afford to go on nice holidays, in fact we will be going to Florida later this year.

We don't have kids, we don't smoke, rarely drink or waste money at pubs or nightclubs etc, so instead we prefer to go on nice holidays with the leftover money we have each month.

So £40K income with two lots of personal allowances to minimise tax. Not exactly poor. With that income I'd be able to have kids, and do all the things you don't do, and still go to Florida each year!
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 31, and I come from a working class background. I worked hard at school, college and uni, and now have a good job, own my home and car outright and have no debt. I am married with a child and we holiday twice a year in the canaries and once in the uk. When I was little my parents saved hard to take me away once a year and I'll always appreciate it and I am very grateful and proud to be able to fund my lifestyle through hard work and will make sure my daughter does the same. I resent the assumption from some that anyone who holidays has a credit card, I certainly don't, I don't spend what I don't have.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I'm in a lower paid job than this time last year, I can still afford a fortnight in Spain this summer. We don't have a mortgage so that really helps.

I take exception to the comment that people who are struggling have made poor choices. In the past we have struggled when our sons were younger, not through making poor choices but because of redundancies, nothing you can do about that if the company you work for closes down.