Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen on the audience choice bit, I don't recall seeing that before. Tonight's ep was probably my least favourite so far.

Never seen that or the bonus choice before. They must have been short on material to have to include both those segments.

It always frustrates me when people choose really self-indulgent items to put into Room 101, items which other people can't relate to, because it then makes the discussion pretty boring and almost non-existent. Far better to pick a topic which everyone can relate to and trigger some interesting discussion. Perhaps that's what happened tonight, Gyles' picks did seem a bit self-centred in places.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good episode tonight, I thought - noone came over as mean or petty, and the choices were great. Though they seem to be making more of an effort with the editing to keep it interesting, it's really the guests that make it.

Something's been worrying me: why do I find Giles Brandreth sexy now? He's a Tory, he rarely shuts up...but there it is. (Help. Please.)

I really enjoyed this one, and I want "mean and petty" where appropriate. :D

Countless guests over the years but not one has mentioned British ex footballer pundits with grammar that would shame a brain damaged six year old.

It CAN'T be just me, surely?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Never seen that or the bonus choice before. They must have been short on material to have to include both those segments.

It always frustrates me when people choose really self-indulgent items to put into Room 101, items which other people can't relate to, because it then makes the discussion pretty boring and almost non-existent. Far better to pick a topic which everyone can relate to and trigger some interesting discussion. Perhaps that's what happened tonight, Gyles' picks did seem a bit self-centred in places.

Just watched the previous weeks recording, Cox, Widdecome (sp) and Jones.

I don't have to relate to their item, there aren't that many things that I dislike, to give a $hit one way or the other.
    Again this is where the old format was better IMO.
    If they leave the guests to it without the categories and trying to lever in the gag every 30 seconds, then you get stuff that really annoys them, even if it sounds silly and minor, you get the gags from the host ribbing them and their annoyance.

Hey ho it's mildly amusing, which is something I suppose.
    Catch up with this week's episode later.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen on the audience choice bit, I don't recall seeing that before. Tonight's ep was probably my least favourite so far.

I agree. I normally really enjoy this, but not so much this time.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Mel C annoying. She overdoes the chummy scouser act.
    Forum Member
    I find Mel C annoying. She overdoes the chummy scouser act.

Well I think she's tidy and seems quite pleasant.
    I didn't know there was a chummy scouser 'act', I guess there's a chummy 'act' for every region if you dislike someone.

As for the show 2 doses in one day is plenty and I'm beginning to dislike the new format more and more, should have stuck it/left it on BBC 2, then they wouldn't try quite so hard.
    Extra storage version is on the 3rd IIRC.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone watching tonight?

Charles Dance got George Osborne put into room 101 :D And Charles Dance seems to really not like Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen :D
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    When did Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen start looking like Dave Grohl?
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think she's tidy and seems quite pleasant.
    I didn't know there was a chummy scouser 'act', I guess there's a chummy 'act' for every region if you dislike someone.

As for the show 2 doses in one day is plenty and I'm beginning to dislike the new format more and more, should have stuck it/left it on BBC 2, then they wouldn't try quite so hard.
    Extra storage version is on the 3rd IIRC.

I watched the standard and extra storage versions of this episode (I think this episode was the only one where they've shown the extended edition!) and at first I thought I was going gaga as Adam Hills put a different item in one round on the extra as the standard and Gyles choice of The Electorate was in a different category! To check I wasn't going mad, I compared the two and normally the extra storage edition just omits a category, this one actually shuffled items between categories but didn't change the winner of the round. The categories were interchangeable as on the extended version they had Modern Life, People and the Wildcard, whereas the standard version just had Modern Life and Wildcard. Both had the audience choice, but on the standard edition had a winners choice (not used up to now this series on the standard show) which was Gyles 'acceptance speech choice' which was actually his Wildcard choice on the extended show! Seemed a lot of trouble to go to rather than just omitting a round!
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this one, and I want "mean and petty" where appropriate. :D

Countless guests over the years but not one has mentioned British ex footballer pundits with grammar that would shame a brain damaged six year old.

It CAN'T be just me, surely?

Haha, spot on.

I think it's completely out of order that the media is full of these types of morons who walk into punditry jobs for which they are completely unqualified just because they are ex players. Sky Soccer Saturday is the worst for this, there are 4 pundits on the show and very often a majority of them struggle to string coherent sentences together. They shouldn't be in these privileged and no doubt highly-paid positions just because they used to play football. The jobs should be given to either people who have trained in them or if they are going to choose ex players then ones who are able to discuss things in an intelligent and coherent manner.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank Skinner was being interviewed yesterday on This Morning & he mentioned a 4th series would be recorded later this year.
  • Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len Goodman is full of shit.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven88 wrote: »

He didn't come across very well did he? He got very aggressive when someone disagreed with him.

What a dinosaur. Ham, egg and chips is one of the last things I would want to eat. Give me a good curry or Chinese over that rubbish
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank grovelling to Len in case he ever does Strictly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love foreign food, plus decimalisation is far easier than the bits and bobs it replaced.
    Old people only didn't like it because they grew up with the 240 old pence to the £ or whatever it was.
    Apparently it was an excuse to rip everyone off with price increases though ? Wouldn't know as I was only 2 when it happened.

I am with him on choice though. Sometimes 3 or 4 options are better than 20 or more.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Len was being entirely serious and was having a bit of a laugh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

I realise he was being a stereotype grumpy old man. He doesn't like foreign food yet advertises a company that probably gets its ham, eggs and chips from outer Mongolia.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't come across very well did he? He got very aggressive when someone disagreed with him.

What a dinosaur. Ham, egg and chips is one of the last things I would want to eat. Give me a good curry or Chinese over that rubbish

I think Len got shown up as being a bit of an ignorant old fart really.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The true Len was shown tonight

Its not 1957 you know..
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe it's an age thing ,but I agreed with most of what Len said. I too have never had a curry or spaghetti and always eat simple British food. And the way metric measurements are overtaking British ones, especially on the BBC, is very worrying.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Maybe it's an age thing ,but I agreed with most of what Len said. I too have never had a curry or spaghetti and always eat simple British food. And the way metric measurements are overtaking British ones, especially on the BBC, is very worrying.

No it's not an age thing. It's a state of mind. I am in my seventies and if I hear a temperature in Fahrenheit these days I have to mentally convert it to Celsius to make any sense of it. What could be more nonsensical than water freezing at 32° and boiling at 212°?

Why are metric measurements "worrying"? If we had gone whole hog with metrication at the time like the Aussies did, we'd all be completely used to it by now and wouldn't still be discussing it.

Oh, and though I'm not too keen on Indian, I love Chinese food.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    You could tell that Len was making Ronni and Tim a bit uncomfortable at times!
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that Ronnie was very alluring.
    I still do.

Maybe we should ban room 101 because we wouldn't want to offend people with alternative views in todays society would we?

New series next year, Broom 101. Where they sweep all views which the BBC find unacceptable under the carpet and only allow politically correct left wing views.

Hell! They are on the way already, just because Len Goodman's favourite food was ham, eggs and chips he was branded a UKIP supporter, just for liking traditional English food.
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    I've always thought that Ronnie was very alluring.
    I still do.

Maybe we should ban room 101 because we wouldn't want to offend people with alternative views in todays society would we?

New series next year, Broom 101. Where they sweep all views which the BBC find unacceptable under the carpet and only allow politically correct left wing views.

Hell! They are on the way already, just because Len Goodman's favourite food was ham, eggs and chips he was branded a UKIP supporter, just for liking traditional English food.

Ban, yes that's usually called not commissioning a new series the TV world, but if you want to use term Ban, you go ahead.
    BBC found these views so unacceptable, they aired the program.
    I'm sure one appearance by Len Goodman is well on the way to killing a program that's been running on and off since 1992, 18 series across Radio, BBC Two and now BBC One and 130+ episodes.

The stuff some people invent in their own heads, based on evidence they've made up...
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

Just downloaded and watched the program.
    I'll have to agree with you, I'd have thought Len's smirking would have been a bit of a clue, he seemed to have a good laugh at Frank's jokes he got in return too.

I used to like the old format, where the host didn't try so hard to lever in his own jokes.
    Give the guests some time to breath and really argue their case, get some good jokes with the play between them and the host.
    I find some of Frank's set-ups too laboured, it's still an amusing show mind.

Oh 4.5 litres to the Gallon (roughly), do that conversion every time I go and get Petrol.
    When I ran LPG, I'd convert avg consumption on Petrol to consumption on LPG to work out how much money I'd saved.