Options

Which Soap Character has been the most ruined by the writers/producers etc??

2»

Comments

• Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat Slater
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurel in Emmerdale most definitely. They took the fantastic character from those painful cot death scenes and reduced her to staggering around the village with Marlon. Hideous stuff.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in Emmerdale for as long as SB is in charge.

I completely agree the sooner they rid of him the better he has ruined so many likeable characters one being Laurel and Ashley and he is doing the exact same to Cameron
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Corrie
    Carla Connor
    Becky Mcdonald
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    She's one of the best actresses in Corrie but needs some better writing.

She is a good actress but are there any storylines left for her? How many more husbands/boyfriends can she steal and still be best mates with the woman whose husband/boyfriend she stole? To write such a storyline once is stupid, twice ... well you can fill in the blanks... a great character ruined by the same old same old and silly SLs.

I can really see no future for Carla, other than entering a Nunnery ;)
  • Options
    Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Branning (EE).

The character showed great promise when he arrived on the Square but the writers turned him into a pantomime villain
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Definitely Pauline is the most ruined. An EE icon, original character and matriarch of the show's founding central family, reduced to a bitter, twisted miserable witch in her final few months. So much that her exit storyline was a 'whodunnit' for gods sake! Awful.

This, no question.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of them really. Has Fiz been mentioned? She was great when she first came on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Corrie's Sunita Alahan - What she became over the course of last year is an absolutely unrecognizable character. She used to be strong, confident. Maybe a little bland at times, but whatever. She never ever let Dev walk all over her. During the course of the Karlita saga she's become a clingy emotional wreck whose personality only comes from her being with a man [Karl].

Carla for Corrie aswell I have to agree, I think her time on the street ran up a while ago. What her character needed was to run off with Liam and have the one that got away. I absolutely thought that Liam and Carla were well-suited. (Maria and Liam were a freaking snoozefest). I think also that was Carla's peek that was when she was at her best. Since they decided to kill him (because the actor wanted to leave if I recall correctly) and keep Carla around on the street. It's clear that they are running out of things to do with the character. They don't know what to do with her. I don't think the Carter storyline is that successful for Carla. I'm not really a Carla fan; however, I'd love to see them do something great with Carla because Alison King can bring it she's got the acting chops. Also, I think it's the same thing with Carla that they've done with Sunita. Carla is now almost nothing if she's not with Peter. Where Carla's always been a kept woman [in the sense that especially when she was with Paul she never had to work for anything] she's never not been her own person. Maybe she needs to leave the street again for more than a couple of months then they can bring her back.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Kat Slater - a popular and iconic character, who had a troubled childhood but found her 'man in the moon' in the end. There was no need to give her another affair storyline and it shows how the producers struggle to give couples original drama.

Derek Branning - a love to hate character who mellowed a bit too much towards the end and died a very anti-climatic death.

Syed Masood - had potential as the eldest Masood child but the producers stopped trying after he'd served his original purpose of 'coming out' as a Muslim. He was trashed for his leaving storyline.
  • Options
    philglossopphilglossop Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Probably not the normal soaps- but can someone on Pobol give Ed a break?

He's had to cover up his niece's stabbing of her mother when Gemma was 6- lives with the village resident moaner "It's all about me" Angela- whose had at least 2 affairs in 18 months and is now battling cancer and had to watch said niece stab his secret love Dani on New Years Eve.:D

All this from a smiling happy go lucky character. It's all going on in the Welsh Valleys!:D:D:D:D

Mind you- look what happened to Sally Webster from her start as Sally Seddon.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren Branning
    Ben Mitchell
    and
    Lucy Beale.

For obvious reasons. (the recasts)

It didn't just ruin the characters, it destroyed the programme.