PE in schools

BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
Forum Member
✭✭
Did you enjoy doing PE in school? Do you remember it as being fun or tough? Are schools doing enough for our kids, or should the parents be more responsible for making sure their kids get enough exercise?

Also, did you have a unit on gymnastics when you were in school? I was talking to my daughter about it last week and she said they basically put the equipment out, have a student who already knows gymnastics demonstrate something and then they goof around for the rest of the class on the apparatus. My first thought was 'gee, things haven't changed much'. Lol, any of you had a teacher that actually knew how to do any gymnastic maneuvers? It seems like a bit of a time-waster, and as much as I think those who are good at are probably healthy and athletic, I don't see it as a general good-fitness type of thing, it's too specialized (I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for). A class on yoga with emphasis on proper warming up and stretching would be more useful, imo. Too new-age? :D

Your thoughts?:)

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved PE at school and took it as a GCSE subject as well. I'd like to have done it at A Level as well but my school didn't do it.

But I can see how some would have hated it, such as the fat wheezy boys with a note from matron.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matron? Poah school was it?

I loved PE at school but in those days it wasnt a subject like it is now.And yes, that did incluge gymnastics though not at a high level, just enough to improve balance and coordination.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Loved it.

Especially liked football and long distance running. Great memories of running alongside the canal in freezing cold weather.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    No, I absolutely hated it, it was a complete misery and I got out of it as often as I could, every time, for years
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. Especially Hockey. I was in the school Hockey team. I hated the high jump though as I couldn't do it so always kept on going to the end of the line. :)
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Loved it. It was the only subject I was any good at really. Was captain of the Rugby team, and competed for the school at swimming. Was rubbish at running though, even though I enjoyed it. I could never keep up with the faster lads.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated every minute of it. Every PE lesson was a massive waste of time, sport should be an extra curricular thing you do after school if you're that way inclined. Judging by the amount of people that cannot differentiate between there, they're and their and cannot do a simple sum in their heads, more time should be spent on proper lessons and less time wasted pratting about jumping over hurdles and other such nonsense.

Even as a teenager I could never understand why four or five kids had to huddle round one tatty old biology text book that had seen better days twenty years back yet the gym was full of fancy expensive equipment.

School put me off any sort of exercise for years and years. I like to keep fit these days and enjoy cycling. The mere sight of a hockey stick brings back hideous memories of dribbling a ball up and down an icy field, my thighs red and numb, no feeling at all in my frozen fingers while the bitch of a pe teacher was nice and cosy and in her tracksuit while the rest of us battled frost bite in flimsy shorts and t shirts, blowing her flaming whistle if you dared to cheat and whack the ball up the field. Bitch!
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the team sports Rugby, Cricket, Football etc even though I had no natural talent for any of them.

Hated gym classes, climbing ropes, vaults etc.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Matron? Poah school was it?

Assume you're not a Blackadder fan! :D;-)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mere sight of a hockey stick brings back hideous memories of dribbling a ball up and down an icy field, my thighs red and numb, no feeling at all in my frozen fingers while the bitch of a pe teacher was nice and cosy and in her tracksuit while the rest of us battled frost bite in flimsy shorts and t shirts, blowing her flaming whistle if you dared to cheat and whack the ball up the field. Bitch!

Did you dislike PE before having that teacher, or was it that experience with her that put you off?
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I detested it. We had sadistic horrible PE teachers who would show up kids who were less able and take the piss out of them in front of everyone. My memories of games lessons were the triple periods on Friday afternoons where it always seemed to be freezing cold and raining/snowing. We had to do cross country running and the sadistic moron who was head of PE used to run behind punching the fat kids to go faster. Then there were the showers after when you were "inspected" to make sure you were showering properly. Dreadful times.

Always think if I was a PE teacher I would encourage the less able ones and show them how to enjoy sport and fitness. As surely these are the ones that can be helped and taught how beneficial healthy exercise.

This was in the late early 90s so I'm assuming its a lot different now.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hated it, and certainly when we had to play football, something I had no interest in then or now.

Rugby was a bit better.
    they kept trying to get me to climb the bars, which I refused because I don't like heights. My mum wrote a letter to them about it, but they still tried until she went down there and played hell.
    Forum Member
    I recall in Primary school we were all asked to strip down to our underwear for PE in the hall. That was in the early 70's.

We'd take off trousers, jumpers and socks and leave them on our chairs in the classroom. We'd then walk along the school corridor in underpants/knickers and vests to the hall/gym when we'd do floor exercises etc.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I loved it

Football, Indoor Football, Rugby, Tennis, table tennis, Hand ball, Soft ball, Athletics, gymnastics, Basketball, Rounders, Cricket etc etc

I think PE is invaluable in schools, it'll teach kids some very important values in life which will help them for ever such as

Discipline, the value of Hard Work and Sacrifice, team work abilities, the experience of success and failure, striving for goals setting targets to aim for, value of patience and preparation and over coming adversity.

I'd say PE is one the most important classes in School.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hated team sports and gym

loved track and field especially long distance running
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I loved it

Football, Indoor Football, Rugby, Tennis, table tennis, Hand ball, Soft ball, Athletics, gymnastics, Basketball, Rounders, Cricket etc etc

I think PE is invaluable in schools, it'll teach kids some very important values in life which will help them for ever such as

Discipline, the value of Hard Work and Sacrifice, team work abilities, the experience of success and failure, striving for goals setting targets to aim for, value of patience and preparation and over coming adversity.

swallocks
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    swallocks

Ok........rolls eyes
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I hated it but I've always been unfit. The only time I liked it was when I got put in the "special group" because I was so unfit (something they only noticed when I came last out of the entire school in cross country in year 8). The special group was small and had a couple of people like me but it was mostly people with medical conditions. We had the best time playing squash.

Unfortunately there wasn't a special group at GCSE level so I was put back with the rest of year. It was humiliating and while for some people that may have encouraged them to get fit to keep up it encouraged me to get out of PE so I wouldn't be embarrassed. When I have kids I will be encouraging them to get involved with sports from a young age so they don't suffer like I did.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed pretty much all the PE lessons. I was in the Hockey and rounders teams, and loved dance and Gymnastics too.

It was an effort, I was a bit crap at tennis and athletics, but I enjoyed it all.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    Hated it.

I've never enjoyed sports anyway so being "forced" to do it at school didn't exactly make it any more enjoyable.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    I recall in Primary school we were all asked to strip down to our underwear for PE in the hall. That was in the early 70's.

We'd take off trousers, jumpers and socks and leave them on our chairs in the classroom. We'd then walk along the school corridor in underpants/knickers and vests to the hall/gym when we'd do floor exercises etc.

It was the same for us at that time too.

I have a male friend who, in the early 80s, had to do PE with no underpants on under their shorts. The PE master would line them up and look into their shorts to check they were naked underneath and not wearing underpants. Can you imagine the outcry today!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you enjoy doing PE in school? Do you remember it as being fun or tough? Are schools doing enough for our kids, or should the parents be more responsible for making sure their kids get enough exercise?

Also, did you have a unit on gymnastics when you were in school? I was talking to my daughter about it last week and she said they basically put the equipment out, have a student who already knows gymnastics demonstrate something and then they goof around for the rest of the class on the apparatus. My first thought was 'gee, things haven't changed much'. Lol, any of you had a teacher that actually knew how to do any gymnastic maneuvers? It seems like a bit of a time-waster, and as much as I think those who are good at are probably healthy and athletic, I don't see it as a general good-fitness type of thing, it's too specialized (I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for). A class on yoga with emphasis on proper warming up and stretching would be more useful, imo. Too new-age? :D

Your thoughts?:)

Gymnastics was pretty big in both the secondaries i went to. The teachers did know the moves, I got all four BAGA awards quite quickly and was entered into a few competitions. This was in the early 70s.

By the time I was in the third year, however, I was really too big for the sport, and turned to Dance.
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    It was the same for us at that time too.

I have a male friend who, in the early 80s, had to do PE with no underpants on under their shorts. The PE master would line them up and look into their shorts to check they were naked underneath and not wearing underpants. Can you imagine the outcry today!

That sounds a bit dodgy.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I loved it

I'd add to that "winning and losing gracefully" but can't agree with you more.

These values are sorely lacking in many modern adults and adolescents.

Parents giving their spoiled gets the option to miss PE is pathetic. If we encouraged more children to get more physical exercise and be involved with sports we wouldn't have 61% of the country being fatties.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At primary school I enjoyed PE, but at secondary I wasn't as keen.

I was never very good at sport, but I tried and did enjoy it at first.

Netball - enjoyed but was put off because I always got put as goal keeper just because I'm tall, and ended up cold and bored every week.
    Hockey - quiet enjoyed it, but was put off by sadistic PE teacher who made the slow ones run round the pitch rather than playing
    Swimming - a sport I have always enjoyed, but never dared do at secondary school due to sadistic PE teacher who didn't think your period was a good excuse not to swim
    Tennis - the less said about that the better
    Rounders - slow kids were only allowed to field, so got bored.
    Athletics - I enjoyed running and jumping, and was actually not bad at hurdles, high jump and long jump, but because we had already had 2 terms of hockey and netball, the PE teacher had already written me off as useless.
    Trampolining - did this in 4th and 5th year, with the nice PE teacher. I was never much good, but she encouraged us all the same. Took me 2 years to master a somersault, but I got there eventually :)

Outside of school I loved kayaking and sailing, but these weren't offered at school.

These days I see posters about netball at the leisure centre when I take my daughter swimming, and it does appeal to me, but my lack of confidence at sport as the result of 2 sadistic PE teachers makes me too scared to try it.

I think PE is important at school, but there needs to be a large range of sports and good teachers that encourage ALL kids.