Options

How can people afford to go on holiday when everyone else is struggling

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28054758

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/airport-ready-for-the-great-holiday-getaway-168955n.24604463

How can people afford to go away ever year on holiday when everyone is struggling to make earns meat or struggle to pay off bills and put food on table thought everyone doesnt have any money cant afford to go away at all

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Because we work hard, look after our money and don't breed like rabbits!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/airport-ready-for-the-great-holiday-getaway-168955n.24604463

How can people afford to go away ever year on holiday when everyone is struggling to make earns meat or struggle to pay off bills and put food on table thought everyone doesnt have any money cant afford to go away at all

.......who said that 'everyone is struggling to make ends meat or struggle to pay off bills and put food on table'??

If you can afford to go on holiday - then good luck to you - off you go!

If you can't afford it, then don't go....!!!

Simples............;-)
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You thinked wrongerly. Which is like not you at the all thyme.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    You thinked wrongerly.

...thinked or thunked?!
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    I earns meat comfortably, so hoiday I will.

Do you have a beef with the OP's original post?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Because we work hard, look after our money and don't breed like rabbits!

Thank you
    Ive always made sure my kids had a decent holiday from the day they were born, nothing extravagant, sometimes abroad sometimes not but we do always go away for a fortnight. I hate remarks like "its alright for some" we have both worked very hard and only had two children (all we could afford)
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simple - someone people have spare money, some don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ We aren't allowed to say!!
  • Options
    RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Everyone" isn't struggling.

I generally think people who have made bad choices in life struggle.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To put it kindly, if the OP thinks that some people not being able to do something means that nobody is able to do it, then I think they maybe in for a few problems when they leave school.
    I can't agree with this. I've made plenty of bad choices in life and I'm not struggling.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People who make bad choices may struggle, but obviously not everyone struggles because they've made bad choices.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called living on the 'never-never'.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh do be quiet higgy...honestly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

How can people afford to go away every year on holiday when some people are struggling to make earns meet or are struggling to pay off bills and put food on the table. I thought not everybody has money and can afford to go away.

Edited it for you.
  • Options
    Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And how do people learn to make good decisions?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ was thinking the same thing!

Another Higgyism to add to the list.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    A struggle junks holiday around our inhabited booklet.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Because they are scroungers damnit! Dirty, rotten, smoking, drinking, sky TV viewing, flat screen TV owning scroungers! >:(>:(>:(>:(

That's what you want to hear right OP?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it because they have sold their daughters into slavery, are pimping their partner and have made a pact with the Devil?
  • Options
    RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    And how do people learn to make good decisions?

Not sure that I can really answer that for you.

As an example. I'm 26 years old and went to a below average school. I am "friends" with the majority of my people from my year on Facebook. Those who didn't work hard at school, messed around and didn't pay attention to their future, are from what I can see, pretty much living on the breadline, if now below. Those who worked hard AND smart, and continued to do so through their adult years, are much more successful.

Of course, as a few of you like will enjoy pointing out, there are always exceptions. The truth is found in the average pattern.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Myself and the wife both earn below the average wage (her at £19.5k and me at £21.5k), yet we're not struggling and can afford to go on nice holidays, in fact we will be going to Florida later this year.

We don't have kids, we don't smoke, rarely drink or waste money at pubs or nightclubs etc, so instead we prefer to go on nice holidays with the leftover money we have each month.
  • Options
    Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure that I can really answer that for you.

As an example. I'm 26 years old and went to a below average school. I am "friends" with the majority of my people from my year on Facebook. Those who didn't work hard at school, messed around and didn't pay attention to their future, are from what I can see, pretty much living on the breadline, if now below. Those who worked hard AND smart, and continued to do so through their adult years, are much more successful.

Of course, as a few of you like will enjoy pointing out, there are always exceptions. The truth is found in the average pattern.

If you can't answer it then perhaps your education wasn't all that great...

The point I'm getting at is we're mostly the product of our upbringing; way before we even go to school, our fundamental mechanisms for navigating the world are put in place by our parents.

The way we face or hide from problems,the way we deal with our own emotions, how sensitive we are to the emotions of others, our self-esteem and confidence under stress... these all come from our upbringing, and really that's all we mean when we say "someone made good decisions".

In short, invariably, if your parents gave a shit, then you will too.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Not really, there's too much at steak.
    Yes, it isn't the kind of situation in which we should be mincing our words.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a strange question. Even during a terrible recession, there is always a number of people who could afford a holiday.

Some have enough money to afford four trips per year, and some put a lot of effort into saving whatever they could spare for an annual holiday.

One junior colleague - a single father - doesn't earn much, but he manages to afford a two-week Disney holiday with his two sons this summer, thanks to his determination not to spend on anything unnecessary. He always turns down offers to drink after work, for instance.