Could we see british made equipment in the shops again?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    what about Linn in East Kilbride ? do they manufactor here ??

I see they are stopping selling CD players. 40 % reduction year on year seemingly wwith their CD players ................. nothing to do with the cost of them of course
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we sold many hundreds of the D series - once the sets were modified they were pretty fault free - and dead easy to repair if they did go wrong.

BTW, the 'trick' to cure the tuning without modification was to tune downwards, rather than upwards.

We still get odd ones in now with dry joints on the scan coil socket! :D

Glad to hear they're still performing well! - I'd fogotten about the scan coil socket joints as well.

So no Tatung's are assembled in the UK anymore then? - I've been out the business for nearly 10 years and sure things have moved on considerably.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    So no Tatung's are assembled in the UK anymore then? - I've been out the business for nearly 10 years and sure things have moved on considerably.

Tatung UK no longer exist, they went bust a few years back - once they stopping making their own sets it was the beginning of the end :cry:
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tatung were on the slide for quite a bit , their delivery trucks were quite the most rusty things you could imagine -- then one day it looked like they got some new ones ( turns out the were rented ) but they put the old rusty load boxes onto the chassis of the new trucks .

Test your memory a bit wern't the first Decca 70 series in 18 & 20" fitted with Toshiba Japan PIL tubes and the economy version fitted with Mullard 45AX tubes complete with burred peak whites ? What was the Eco version called ? Decca 71 or 80 ? just cant remember .

Good example of refined and reliable TV was the Philips / Pye Croydon built KT3 14 , 16 & 20" allong with the K30 / K35 22 & 26" also the CTX 14" from Philips Singapore . really sharp vibrant pictures , introducing teletext on some versions also retro fittable by inserting a teletext pcb into already fitted sockets . How times have changed a realy good Philips product !
    Ian
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2nd thoughts : were these Croydon or Lowestoft built ? Now I think only Philips Spares / service was at Croydon , Purley way
    Ian
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone remember 'mick' the Tatung delivery driver (I was down south so he might have done that route) - always got to the shop to find him there waiting patiently for us to open..... nice helpful fella. I have to say that the whole Tatung staff were very good to deal with, just like dealing with a small friendly business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes:I think most of you are all missing the point about being made in UK, so what if the componets are made in the far east..!! If there is a factory in the uk that is putting the bits together, then it goes to without reason that we have spares in the country if ya bit of kit goes pear shaped, not to mention the bigger point being more UK jobs to be had and by god we need a few more people off the dole..!! Ok if we start by just putting the bits together, then just maybe the good old british design might start to grow again, and from that we could be designing and making the whole product once more...Come guys you are talking about a country that had the biggest empire the world has ever seen...! Yes bigger than the romans etc etc (Google it..! :))
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    Now I think only Philips Spares / service was at Croydon , Purley way
    Ian

It was:

CES Ltd.
    604 Purley Way,
    Waddon,
    Croydon
    CR9 4DR

I can still remember it from back in the early 70's :p

Shows how many orders I sent off for Philips spares back then!.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about Linn in East Kilbride ? do they manufacture here ??

Yes, you can even tour the factory if you want.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Aren't we all forgetting the Sanyo factory in Lowestoft, which closed in feb last year?
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much British made equipment was excellent, and often world leading - the demise of British manufacturing wasn't quality, it was Mr. Blair wishing to end UK production. To do so he taxed it over and over again until the only option was to move outside the UK, as it was no longer viable.

From what I've read, taxes in the UK are pretty much the same as most of western Europe. Whatever Blair's personal like or dislike of manufacturing may have been.

TVs are now an extremely competitive market - even Sony subcontracts its manufacturing.

TV assembly still continues in the UK - unlike France, Spain, Austria etc - though I must confess I thought that Toshiba Plymouth (ex-Bush factory!) was the last UK TV assembler. How wrong I was!

www.celloelectronics.com/about-cello
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g jones wrote: »
    There are still excellent British made products in the hi Fi market. Companies such as Arcam, Musical fidelity and Tannoy still manufacture in Britain and produce award winning products.

British Hi-fi is seen as some of the best in the world, and quite rightly so. :)
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Hi-fi is filled with flim flam claims and massive price premiums with little objective measure, so yes, thats one area you can still get by just on a name and marketing alone.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Hi-fi is filled with flim flam claims and massive price premiums with little objective measure, so yes, thats one area you can still get by just on a name and marketing alone.

I still have some equipment from the 1970s (Armstrong amplifier) and 2 loudspeakers made by Tandberg (not a company that were famous for great loudspeakers, although these are OK). It all sounds fine to me and I would not splash out silly money on some of the equipment sold today just because a glossy magazine says it is a "must have".

The BBC did a "blind test" a few months ago, comparing a 1980s system against modern equipment, a clear majority preferred the 80s equipment.

Hmmmmm......
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I still have some equipment from the 1970s (Armstrong amplifier) and 2 loudspeakers made by Tandberg (not a company that were famous for great loudspeakers, although these are OK). It all sounds fine to me and I would not splash out silly money on some of the equipment sold today just because a glossy magazine says it is a "must have".

The BBC did a "blind test" a few months ago, comparing a 1980s system against modern equipment, a clear majority preferred the 80s equipment.

Hmmmmm......

That is the thing, the basic mechanics of how to build a good speaker were worked out long ago, good materials, good size, weight etc. Any current gloss with weird shapes or tiny sizes only generally compromise sound or create additional engineering challenges to get to the same base level of sound quality. But still, the gap in consumer knowledge because of dodgy watt ratings and lack of real testing/objective review material on speakers means they can get away with murder. The best testing rooms actually have mechanisms that auto swap even the positions of the speakers so to the blind tester even the position is not a give away or has any effect on what the listener can evaluate.