Just cancelled sky ,purchased humax pvr

124»

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guvnorj wrote: »
    Cheers for this info do you have a link to the correct drive model and installation?

http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/

Largest you can use without having to format the disc yourself is 1TB.

Normally Western Digital Caviar Green AV drives are recommended.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49815382&postcount=20
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What he said - my HDR didn't have a warranty seal, if yours does then you might want to wait a year before changing it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    What he said - my HDR didn't have a warranty seal, if yours does then you might want to wait a year before changing it...

cheers for the warning I think I'll give it a while before looking into changing the drive as have a 2 year warranty. Much more interesting is how easy is it to attach a usb external drive to archive material.

Also an update : Box arrived today took me 5 mins to setup,finding the record a little different ,one question if anyone can answer does the series link facility show automatically when pressing record ?
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheers for the warning I think I'll give it a while before looking into changing the drive as have a 2 year warranty. Much more interesting is how easy is it to attach a usb external drive to archive material.

Also an update : Box arrived today took me 5 mins to setup,finding the record a little different ,one question if anyone can answer does the series link facility show automatically when pressing record ?

No.

You need to press 'OK'.

If there are both SD and HD versions it will ask you which you want and then ask if you wish to record a single programme or the whole series.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Attaching a usb archive drive is as simple as connecting it to either the front or rear usb ports.

The hdr understands two file systems

FAT32 which has a maximum file size of byte less than 4GB

EXT3 (A linux file system) which can cope with massive files.

Because of the file size limit of FAT32 EXT3 will be required for long SD recordings and all but the shortest HD ones.

A PC running windows can format a drive in FAT32 but without extra free software the maximum volume size is 32GB but there are loads of free FAT32 formatters that get over this.

Formatting a drive EXT3 is a bit more complicated it's easiest to boot a PC into Linux using a boot cd (free) to do this

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-to-format-a-usb-device-to-ext3-noddys-guide

Once formatted you can read the drive under windows using an ext3 driver.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/managing-ext3-hdd-in-windows

SD recordings can be played back on a PC as can HD ones recorded without encryption (if the PC is fast enough).

For replay try splash lite (free) as it will play back HD on a relatively slow PC.

To copy content to usb

Connect the drive and watch for the usb connected message.

Press media. then opt+ and choose file manager.

You will see two panes with the usb one on the right and your internal HDD on the left.

Cursor right and click on the usb drive icon to open the drive to it's root folder.
    Cursor left and move to a recorded file. press green to copy the file to usb.
    You can select more than 1 file for bulk copies, just press yellow (edit mode) and use oK to set a tick on the files you want to copy

To replay a file from usb, press media then red. Use the arrow keys to select the USB device and replay as normal from the file list.
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for this info ,I have a spare external drive 500gb. I have partition magic which can format to the correct file structure :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Finally cancelled my sky tv. Amazon were offering humax 500gb pvr for £230 is this a good price . It's about 3-4 months of sky subscription.
    I feel like I've escaped LOL.

I have just done the same, just about had enough of paying out each month for repeat after repeat! I sat back and looked at what I watched on the subscription channels and found its 1 half hour programme a week so that was that, my wife and I did enjoy watching An Idiot Abroad (Sky 1) when it was first shown but it is now doing its 4th run this year.

Just ordered the Humax HDR PVR 500 gb and two hours later Sky ring me and offer me a new box so I can use the Anytime+ but I don't have Sky BB so I said there is no point as I don't want it!
  • belfastbobbybelfastbobby Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Its amazing how many people pay a fortune but only watch FTA channels. They also seem relieved like a pressure beens taken off them

The only sky channels Id ever watch are the sports one but sky would force me to pay for a package I dont want before I could get that so I just watch them online.

Im the same and normally switch of Sports and reduce to a basic suscription.

Can anybody tell me if the freesat and Humax boxes need new dishes or can I simply plug into my existing sky dish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody tell me if the freesat and Humax boxes need new dishes or can I simply plug into my existing sky dish.

Just use the existing dish.

Twin feed needed for the PVR to work optimally, of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im the same and normally switch of Sports and reduce to a basic suscription.

Its literally a 2 min job to swap the cables from box to box or a 30 mins job if you have 1 cable and need to replace that with a twin cable for a PVR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    or a 30 mins job if you have 1 cable and need to replace that with a twin cable for a PVR.

Depending on the location (particularly height) of your dish!
    Forum Member
    I've seriously not missed sky since switching ,still have it until the end of the month so may watch Sundays match,but next year the money I save from having the humax installed is going to go towards some football and motor sport tickets. One thing I have noticed is the remote has to be just at the right angle. Liking the chapter display thumbnails.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    ...One thing I have noticed is the remote has to be just at the right angle...
    Have you removed the two pieces of transparent plastic from the front?
    Forum Member
    Bat-man wrote: »
    Have you removed the two pieces of transparent plastic from the front?

:) yes done that. It maybe I need to move it as its behind a cast iron grill.
    Gloss black just loves the dust LOL
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) yes done that. It maybe I need to move it as its behind a cast iron grill.
    Gloss black just loves the dust LOL

When I'm watching TV via the humax I have found that if you have the front flap open the remote is far more responsive and it will work over a wider angle.
    Forum Member
    A few weeks now and I'm getting use to the humax love the folder filing system. Just an add on had sky ring today offered me any subscription at half price for 12 months,it was nice to say NO. Lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks now and I'm getting use to the humax love the folder filing system. Just an add on had sky ring today offered me any subscription at half price for 12 months,it was nice to say NO. Lol
    Its the standard retention offering at mo although I believe their may be another offer but with £50 M & S vouchers.

I cancelled Sky as well last Friday so it'll be going off on 26th June as I'm paid up until then.