Reece Shearsmith is a fantastic actor and writer!

Cold ComfortCold Comfort Posts: 120
Forum Member
He co wrote and acted in Inside No.9 and starred in one episode of Peter Kay's Car Share and his other stuff is available on BBC iPlayer.

Anyone else a fan?

Comments

• MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    his other stuff is available on BBC iPlayer.

Really?
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes agreed and together with Steve Pemberton!
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a hunk too.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he play Pauline who had the pen obsession?

Or was he the one who was undercover in the job club and ended up going doggy on Pauline?

That scene where it suddenly cut to Pauline getting hammered from behind will always stick with me, I was eating a curry that night and I nearly choked on it, because it was such an unexpected and quick scene change :o. :o
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,036
    Forum Member
    ^ Shearsmith played Ross, who was undercover. Steve Pemberton was Pauline.

Both very talented writer/actors. :)
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Reese in The Producers a few years ago. He was brilliant in that.
  • GibletOSullivanGibletOSullivan Posts: 42,093
    Forum Member
    At the risk of incurring some Twitter wrath, I think that while Reece is undoubtedly very talented Steve is the more versatile actor. I don't know which of them is most responsible for the writing/tone of their work, so perhaps that balances things out.

Having said that though, Reece did put in an amazing performance in 'A Field In England'.

[Please don't have me murdered Reece]
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting Mark Gatiss from TLoG - also a very versatile comedy/serious actor and a talented writer.

As for Reece, I thought he was brilliant in "The Widower" last year.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Not forgetting Jeremy Dyson either!
  • ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Huge fan here! The lad is brilliant. Also excellent (as ever) in the Ch4 Comedy Showcase: Ladies and Gentlemen (penned by Peep Show's Bain & Armstrong) which never made it into a series, to my eternal chagrin. Where is a petition when you need one?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/comedy-showcase/on-demand/44277-001

(ps. also great name for English as a Foreign Language pronunciation practice :))
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the OP set up a new username, rather than just use the one they set up for "The Widower"? ;-)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of incurring some Twitter wrath, I think that while Reece is undoubtedly very talented Steve is the more versatile actor. I don't know which of them is most responsible for the writing/tone of their work, so perhaps that balances things out.

Having said that though, Reece did put in an amazing performance in 'A Field In England'.

[Please don't have me murdered Reece]

Yes I agree. I think Reece is very talented. But I've watched this series of Inside Number 9 and in one or two performances he hasn't been convincing. I think he's been hit and miss with one or two characters not coming across as believable at all. I agree that Steve Pemberton is probably more versatile as he's been fine.

However I also agree with you that Reece Shearsmith was very impressive in 'A Field in England'.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The only problem I have with them as a whole is that they tend to stick to their native accents.

Especially Shearsmith. Apart from Papa Lazaru I can't think of many characters where he just doesn't use his own accent.
  • Cold ComfortCold Comfort Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    The Comfort Support Line episode was amazing!
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Comfort Support Line episode was amazing!

YES. I've started saying often "I hate my life, I hate my Mum, I especially hate my step-Dad" in his voice.

I also loved Silent Singer from Psychoville.

I think he's great, some people seem to expect miracles from people's voices but when an actor isn't good at that I think when they make up with it their acting as Reece does it's all he can do, just the way he moves his body as silent singer is amazing. And those braided pigtails. I laugh just picturing it more than I would if he had a different voice.
  • Cold ComfortCold Comfort Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    YES. I've started saying often "I hate my life, I hate my Mum, I especially hate my step-Dad" in his voice.

I also loved Silent Singer from Psychoville.

I think he's great, some people seem to expect miracles from people's voices but when an actor isn't good at that I think when they make up with it their acting as Reece does it's all he can do, just the way he moves his body as silent singer is amazing. And those braided pigtails. I laugh just picturing it more than I would if he had a different voice.

Me to! "I've been listening to people for 27 years, I just wanted somebody to listen to me... Oh I have done one more naughty little thing."

Take That Shine comes on. What an ending!