Points of View: Spring 2015

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    They did just that on numerous occasions, most notably with two episodes of Series 7

It was basically a two-part story but they showed the second part first

Was that the Mr Partridge episodes? See 'floating' in the swimming pool at the beginning of one episode where we then learnt it was a trick by Mr Partridge and then he was again see in the same place at the end of the second episode. They should of course have shown them the other way around.

I was also hoping that they would explain the crazy decision to put double brand new editions of Perfection on at 6am in the morning, but not a sound.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the Mr Partridge episodes? See 'floating' in the swimming pool at the beginning of one episode where we then learnt it was a trick by Mr Partridge and then he was again see in the same place at the end of the second episode. They should of course have shown them the other way around.

I was also hoping that they would explain the crazy decision to put double brand new editions of Perfection on at 6am in the morning, but not a sound.

You're quite correct about the Mr Partridge cock-up. Two posters on the Hi-De-Hi thread complained and they were fobbed off with the excuse that the episodes were chosen with running times that best fit the schedule on particular days. That's why many were shown out of order.
    "We're right, the viewer wrong" attitude again.

The BBC are quite "picky" about what they will include in the programme.

The first priority is to get viewers to watch the programme. They like to include complimentary letters about running series, or even a silly complaint about one, so they can include some "promo" clips. This will be considered good marketing.

It's not about reflecting an accurate picture of the current perception of the BBC, by its many critics.
    A catalogue of complaints, even those which are quite valid, won't be considered to be well received by those who can be bothered to watch TV on a Sunday at the time the programme's scheduled.

They try to achieve a balance of mostly "effusive praise and some mild criticisms."
    This is dead easy, given the amount of letters, phone calls and e-mails they must get.

If they made the programme content all positive, as they could, the more worldly viewers would suss out that it's a complete, "snow job." So the odd complaint is included. Sometimes voiced by someone who seems to be in their dotage. This may be "sympathetically dismissed,"
    Shades of Frankie Howerd's "Silly old fool!" comes to mind.

They want viewers to believe, given the overall content of the programme, that generally speaking, the public think they're doing a reasonable job and as far as many are concerned, this is probably true.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    I suggest you don't worry too much about my opinions, this will save you feeling the necessity to comment upon them.
    A rather hypocritical comment given that you're happy to comment upon other peoples.
    You're quite correct about the Mr Partridge cock-up. Two posters on the Hi-De-Hi thread complained and they were fobbed off with the excuse that the episodes were chosen with running times that best fit the schedule on particular days. That's why many were shown out of order. "We're right, the viewer wrong" attitude again.
    Of course, they neither said nor implied that; which they never do. Though I agree it was a pathetic excuse.
    If they made the programme content all positive, as they could, the more worldly viewers would suss out that it's a complete, "snow job."
    And similarly, if they made the programme content all negative, would that not give the impression that no-one was happy with them?

So they do both compliments and complaints.

It's hard to see the problem with that. Well, for normal, rational people who don't have a bee in their bonnet about a programme they never actually watch, anyway ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rather hypocritical comment given that you're happy to comment upon other peoples.

As far as you're concerned, I certainly comment, on your comments on my opinions.

As for others?

How often do I say "each to their own?" I really don't mind what other people think about TV programmes, it makes no difference to me. Pity you can't say the same.

Hang on, let me know when you are going to stop going back and adding to your post.
    That's three changes so far. At least you didn't go back and completely change it like you did last time, after I'd responded quoting the original one which made no sense. But maybe I should be thankful you didn't include the unfriendly remarks, second time around.

You then followed up with another post accusing me of poor board etiquette for quoting the original.
    Unfortunately, I'm not a mind reader.

I think I've explained my perception of the programme's rationale well enough for most "normal" (your word) people to understand, other of course than for "BBC apologists."
    Forum Member
    But maybe I should be thankful you didn't include the unfriendly remarks, second time around.
    Hence the edit.

Speaking of unfriendly remarks. More hypocrisy...) (BIB)
    I think I've explained my perception of the programme's rationale well enough for most "normal" (your word) people to understand, other of course than for "BBC apologists."

Perhaps you should have re-edited your post too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hence the edit.

Speaking of unfriendly remarks. More hypocrisy...) (BIB)

Perhaps you should have re-edited your post too :)

Is that it, or do you want to go back in and change something, again?

No, given your record, that's I think, a fair description of you.

Although I sometimes criticise the BBC, at least I do occasionally start threads on their more worthwhile TV programmes. I don't constantly knock other contributors' opinions.

Try it sometime.
    Forum Member
    Is that it, or do you want to go back in and change something, again?
    So we're not allowed to edit posts now in case we change our minds? :confused:
    Although I sometimes criticise the BBC, at least I do occasionally start threads on their more worthwhile TV programmes. I don't constantly knock other contributors' opinions.
    And neither do I. Though I am happy to challenge them when I see fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we're not allowed to edit posts now in case we change our minds? :confused:

And neither do I. Though I am happy to challenge them when I see fit.

I don't think you should "whinge" about me quoting your post and commenting on it, before you saw what I'd posted, so went back in and change it to something completely different, because the original one made no sense and contained unfriendly remarks.

I mean, and then telling me I was guilty of poor etiquette?

"Challenge" that.

You do make me smile.

Forum Member
    I don't think you should "whinge" about me quoting your post and commenting on it, before you saw what I'd posted, so went back in and change it to something completely different, because the original one made no sense and contained unfriendly remarks.
    I did not see what you had posted until the following night. I edited the post within one minute posting the original. There were no other replies when I left the thread.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh here we go, the usual posts between Doghouse and Carl. rolleyes.

Thanks for respecting the thread folks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not see what you had posted until the following night. I edited the post within one minute posting the original. There were no other replies when I left the thread.

I guess that's an explanation which might satisfy some.

Note:
    You can't use roll eyes any more, the facility was withdrawn as "some over-used it."
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hele we go middle aged people chatting on about stuff that is not important They have got too much time on their hands
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On early today because of the Grand Prix.

Too much football on the channel, disrupting the schedules.

Couldn't it have been put it on anther channel such as BBC3 or 4? No answer from the Beeb.

Inside Harley Street.

Questioning the questioning. Spoilt by the negative questioning especially about money.
    No reply again. rolleyes

Nelson in His Own Words.

Missing arms moving around. Was the footage flipped?
    Finally an answer: Yes it was flipped. :)

Inside No 9. Highs and lows of comedy.

Shane Allen Controller of Comedy Commissioning.
    Basically saying they are trying to get a rich mix of shows on tv.
    Item seems to be used to promo up coming comedy shows and praise old shows.
    For instance Peter Kay's Car Share, which they show a clip from.
    Looking forward to 'Boy Meets Girl'.

Back In Time For Dinner

Use of an old fashioned tin opener. Good show brought back memories.
    Wasted opportunity to show issues related to today.

Promo clip from Peter Kay's Car Share.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    On early today because of the Grand Prix.

Too much football on the channel, disrupting the schedules.

Couldn't it have been put it on anther channel such as BBC3 or 4? No answer from the Beeb.

Inside Harley Street.

Questioning the questioning. Spoilt by the negative questioning especially about money.
    No reply again. rolleyes

Nelson in His Own Words.

Missing arms moving around. Was the footage flipped?
    Finally an answer: Yes it was flipped. :)

Inside No 9. Highs and lows of comedy.

Shane Allen Controller of Comedy Commissioning.
    Basically saying they are trying to get a rich mix of shows on tv.
    Item seems to be used to promo up coming comedy shows and praise old shows.
    For instance Peter Kay's Car Share, which they show a clip from.
    Looking forward to 'Boy Meets Girl'.

Back In Time For Dinner

Use of an old fashioned tin opener. Good show brought back memories.
    Wasted opportunity to show issues related to today.

Promo clip from Peter Kay's Car Share.

BIB .1. Totally agree with this it should be on another channel. I just hate football. Why is it so important that it pushes regular programmes out! And not comment from the BBC but no surprise there.

BIB 2. I thought it was a 'we don't give a t*ss' answer from them >:(

BIB 3. This looks so good.

Does Vine have to raise his voice so high at the start :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    BIB

It would seem that framing continuity of the scene was more important than accuracy and continuity. rolleyes
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB .1. Totally agree with this it should be on another channel. I just hate football. Why is it so important that it pushes regular programmes out! And not comment from the BBC but no surprise there.

BIB 3. This looks so good.

Does Vine have to raise his voice so high at the start :confused:

Why should they comment on a stupid question? BBC 3 and 4 don't start broadcasting to 19:00 football started at 17:20
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Why should they comment on a stupid question? BBC 3 and 4 don't start broadcasting to 19:00 football started at 17:20

More to the point, even if BBC3 and BBC4 did start broadcasting earlier why would it be alright for their schedules to be changed for football but not BBC1's??
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »

Erm ... Let me think Oh!.. They could start it early. Now there's a thought but a bit of a stretch for the BBC lack of sense.
    Forum Member
    It would seem that framing continuity of the scene was more important than accuracy and continuity. rolleyes

I don't think the BBC do that as it has been shown in other complaints in drama's. Their attitude is 'the viewer won't notice' >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erm ... Let me think Oh!.. They could start it early. Now there's a thought but a bit of a stretch for the BBC lack of sense.

The channels share with the CBBC and CBeebies channels. So it would eat into their time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the BBC do that as it has been shown in other complaints in drama's. Their attitude is 'the viewer won't notice' >:(
    Yes they do seem to take the viewers for granted.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but the broadcast spectrum is actually used by CBBC and Cbeebies up until 7pm (so in that respect, a very sensible decision). Maybe you should have a rethink! ;)
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Will the BBC ever admit they are wrong and we are right?
    You do know that Points of View is a comedy show? It's how BBC staff laugh amongst themselves at their viewers. The theme tune is the first clue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do know that Points of View is a comedy show? It's how BBC staff laugh amongst themselves at their viewers. The theme tune is the first clue.

Yes which is why my 'Will they ever admit to being wrong?' comment is tongue in cheek. :)
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Sorry, but the broadcast spectrum is actually used by CBBC and Cbeebies up until 7pm (so in that respect, a very sensible decision). Maybe you should have a rethink! ;)

Maybe the parents could ... wait for it .... entertain their children for a while while the footie is on :o:p