Options

WD5000AAKS issue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
Forum Member
I have recently fitted a WD5000AAKS to my Thompson box.
All is fine except that when I am watching a recorded program and another recording starts, the program I am watching momemtarily stops for a fraction of a second and then plays normally.
Also when the recording stops it does the same.
Has anyone experienced this.
I have read somewhere that the Thompson box only accepts data transfer rates of 150 mbps. I have not changed the jumper settings on my HDD and so it is at the factory settings of 300mbps.
If this is the cause what other ssues may occur if I leave it at 300.

Comments

• Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rostron wrote: »
    All is fine except that when I am watching a recorded program and another recording starts, the program I am watching momemtarily stops for a fraction of a second and then plays normally.
    I have read somewhere that the Thompson box only accepts data transfer rates of 150 mbps. I have not changed the jumper settings on my HDD and so it is at the factory settings of 300mbps.

Same drive same problem here. On my original drive I would get picture breakup when a new recording started. I prefer the brief freeze that happens on the new one.

I had always assumed some sort of very brief glitch happens with all the older boxes but may be wrong about that. Both of the Thomsons I have owned have done this.
  • Options
    njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    I have a 3200AAKS Caviar Blue in my PC but its usage in the PC is different to the sustained writing and reading that occurs in a PVR. The AVVS or AVJS series of the Caviars are rated by WD for AV/PVR use (the AVVS is used by Amstrad in their PVR4s). They're apparently able to record many more HD channels than the two that Sky+ HD boxes allow. I had a 1.5Tb AVVS drive in an Amstrad PVR4 and there were no pauses. Although the drive itself is probably more than capable, presumably there's an incompatibility between the Sky/Thomson software/drivers and the WD drive/firmware. Would suggest a drive rated by the manufacturer for PVR use. They are more expensive though.

I've recently got a Pace PVR4, and if I could I'd put my AAKS drive inside to see how it fares, but I don't have a torx driver to get inside.

When I get a torx driver, I'm going to be putting a WD WD6400AARS into my Pace PVR4 in the next week or so, that isn't rated for PVR use either. I have my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Same drive in both SKY HD Thomson Boxes, but No problems.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Just fitted jumper to drive, limiting to 15mps transfer rate.
    Still getting freeze when a recording starts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just fitted jumper to drive, limiting to 15mps transfer rate.
    Still getting freeze when a recording starts.

If you get any more ideas let me know. I am guessing this must be an issue with firmware in recent models as so many have no problems.

I put an upgraded power unit in at the same time so maybe it is something to do with this. Are you on the original PSU? If not did you upgrade at the same time?

It is not a big problem and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. But I would rather be without it.
  • Options
    deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As i mentioned in an earlier post i had the same probs as you, sound and picture problems with the same drive, i also had the upgraded psu fitted. I put a seagate 500gb hdd in and all is perfect, i have sent the other drive back, and am awaiting a replacement anytime now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deesee wrote: »
    As i mentioned in an earlier post i had the same probs as you, sound and picture problems with the same drive, i also had the upgraded psu fitted. I put a seagate 500gb hdd in and all is perfect, i have sent the other drive back, and am awaiting a replacement anytime now.

Hmmm. How did you get an RMA for the drive? Do you have to do a test or anything?

Do you intend to put the replacement back in?
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

so its not just me then

ive had all sorts of problems - see here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.B wrote: »
    so its not just me then

ive had all sorts of problems - see here

Sounds like you were unlucky enough to get a faulty drive.

Our only problem is this slight freeze that occurs if watching a recording when a new one starts.

Since everything else seems to be working fine I am thinking this has something to do with the nature of the drive itself (firmware?) rather than an actual fault.

I will be interested to learn how deesee's replacement drive works - if he is going to use it in the box that is.
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deesee wrote: »
    i have sent the other drive back, and am awaiting a replacement anytime now.

who, how ,where do you sent it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.B wrote: »
    who, how ,where do you sent it?

He sent it back to WD and they are replacing it:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=40071440&postcount=11