Has Sky Movies changed it's target audience?

90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
Forum Member
As much I like Sky Movies, in recent years there has been the shift in target audience towards kids/teen/family audience. You don't see much edgy movies on Sky Movies anymore, since the Sky Movies Classics channel ended they given up up on classic movies which is a shame. In their heyday the channels catered to every movie tastes, now they are catering to young people. Maybe they narrowing the target audience in the face of competition from online sevices like Netflix.

For the premium movie channels, this is not good.

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The movie market has just changed dramatically in the last 5 years. DVDs now come out weeks after films leave the cinema rather than months; and torrents mean that everyone with a laptop and internet access can watch them for free. Netflix and other services are providing instant access to a vast back catalogue of movies. And the increasing quality of tv drama means that a lot of people are now more likely to put on a boxset then a movie channel.

It makes sense for Sky to focus on the market that are least susceptible to these changes.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Their heyday was the 1990s, where they had at least one premiere a day, with the big blockbusters coming on an Saturdays. I felt the content was at its best in the Sky Premiere/MovieMax days.

Nowadays, things have changed a lot. Seems the English language movie market is so fragmented that a lot of stuff that was previously on Sky Movies no longer make it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For people with On Demand i'm not sure how many of them care about the channels anymore.

I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch a film on one of the channels when you can download and watch it at anytime.