Options

Who do you insure your pet with/how much does it cost?

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

Just generally wondering who people insure their pets with, and how much it costs them (per month or annually, depending on how you pay).

I have a tom cat [5 years old], he's neutered and chipped, and I pay nearish £19/month for him from John Lewis with an excess of £100. I am going to be changing this come November when the insurance policy is up because £19 is extortionate when on comparison websites I can get it down to around £10.

I have a female Bengal cat [3 this month!], neutered and chipped, and I pay £11.19/month for her with Marks and Spencer. I went through a comparison website to insure her, and my excess is £50.

Both insurance policies are lifetime ones, and I pay by direct debit monthly for them both, as paying annually didn't bring the cost down at all.

So, who do you insure your pet with and how much does it cost? And if you don't mind stating what your excess is, go ahead. :kitty:

Comments

• Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Petplan, it's £26 a month for £7000 towards vet fees and some other bits and bobs (third party liability, kennelling etc.)

Excess is £90.

It's pricey but it's the only one my vets deal directly with and I wouldn't be able to afford several thousand up front, even if i could claim it back :)
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet plan for 2 of our dogs. Been with other insurers but I think Petplan is best. Might seem a bit more expensive at first but doesn't seem to go up like others and they don't increase it if you claim. Paid out quickly on all our claims.
    Other 2 are with NFU who started off cheap but as time's gone on it's gone up a lot and if you claim they put it up quite a bit. They pay out quickly with no hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I'm with Petplan, it's £26 a month for £7000 towards vet fees and some other bits and bobs (third party liability, kennelling etc.)

Excess is £90.

It's pricey but it's the only one my vets deal directly with and I wouldn't be able to afford several thousand up front, even if i could claim it back :)
    I don't think that's that pricey for a doggy. My future sister-in-law has a baby springer spaniel and she pays £20/month, with pretty much the same package as you. Can't remember who she is with though.

I did think about going with Petplan actually, all the vets I have been to have thoroughly recommended it. But in the end, I wanted the baby safari Oleg toy from comparethemarket, so I went with M&S :blush: (plus, they're written under Royal & Sun Alliance and I've had dealings with them in the past and found them to be very, very good :))
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with pet plan. Pay £23 a month in total for my two cats. They've paid out way more than I've spent in monthly payments already. Excess is £70

If you want 2 months free, I can do the "refer a friend" thing

Let me know, I'll just need a couple of details and they then do all the rest.

Edit.
    Ah, just seen you've already gone with someone.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco, £13 a month. Excess is £60.

It's quite a basic plan but I did have to make a claim (cat had a fall onto a spike, had a long / deep cut in her back leg).

Tesco paid out within a few weeks, no issues with making a claim at all - I was actually really impressed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Plan for 3 yr old dog costing £20 a month with excess of £100. We have claimed once but to be honest the final bill was roughly £300 which we tried to pay without using insurance but vets made it very difficult so had to go through insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard very bad things about M&S increasing the price massively as they age or after you've claimed. I wouldn't go with them because of that. Not a few pounds but doubling and trebling it so people just can't afford it.

9 yr old x breed with pet plan £25 a month, £7000 cover for life, £90 excess and a 6 yr old lurcher with them, £22 a month £4000 cover for life, same excess.
    In the first year my lurcher was with them she was very ill and we claimed the full £4000 - it only went up £1 a month at renewal!
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I'm with Petplan too and I find them very good, particularly these last few months when I've had to put claims in numerous times for two of my cats. On the most recent occasion, because my cat had to be hospitalised and it was evident the bill was going to be very large, the practice was happy to deal directly with Petplan, taking away the stress for me of paying large amounts upfront. However, even when I do pay myself and put in a claim, Petplan normally are relatively quick at reimbursement (although not as quick as they used to be, a few years ago, probably because they are so busy nowadays).

My premiums never go up as a result of submitting claims but they do go up as my cats age and pose more of a risk to insurers. Therefore, currently, for ''covered for life policies'' (which means the insurer will continue to pay the maximum amount each year for recurring or chronic illnesses), I pay over £50 per month for my 3 cats. The two 4 year olds have a £95 excess and my 9 year old has a £125 excess. Next year, when he's 10 I will also have an excess plus 20% of total vet costs for him.

I would never be without pet insurance. It is quite a lot to pay each month (plus about £35 per month to the vet practice to cover vaccination boosters and flea and worm products plus twice yearly check-ups) but worth it to me personally for peace of mind. I've always had positive experiences with Petplan so won't change insurers to pay less per month and possibly end up with a policy not fit for my needs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    I've heard very bad things about M&S increasing the price massively as they age or after you've claimed. I wouldn't go with them because of that. Not a few pounds but doubling and trebling it so people just can't afford it.
    Aha, thank you for the warning. To be honest, until my cats get to the age of nine (which from what I've gathered is the age cut off point for insurance companies accepting new customers) I will keep switching to get the best deal each year, unless of course something does happen to my cats - which I am hoping it doesn't!

From what I've read though, when my tom cat reaches the big nine, I think just before that I'll go with Petplan - good recommendations from people on this thread, and the vets! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just beware that anything your cat sees the vet for will be excluded by any new company, even if you didn't claim for it. All companies now ask for a full veterinary history from the vet before they pay out the first claim so they can thoroughly check for pre existing conditions. (sorry if you did know this!)
    They all like to get out of paying if they can!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    riversmum wrote: »
    Just beware that anything your cat sees the vet for will be excluded by any new company, even if you didn't claim for it. All companies now ask for a full veterinary history from the vet before they pay out the first claim so they can thoroughly check for pre existing conditions. (sorry if you did know this!)
    They all like to get out of paying if they can!

This is exactly why I stay with my pet insurers. I know they will always pay up, no matter what, because my cats have been insured with them since they were adopted at a year old (with clean bills of health) and they all have covered for life policies. Changing insurers to get the best monthly premiums, as one does for home contents policies, just doesn't work for pets as insurance companies are businesses and need to make profit so won't cover any pre-existing conditions - and why should they when vet bills are so expensive? Insurance is pretty useless if it doesn't pay out when you need it.
  • Options
    rachpidrachpid Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Older one is with PetPlan, and has been since we got him six years ago, although they have steadily increased the price every year and are now paying nearly £25 a month so will probably change!

Because of the above, we've just insured our kitten (six months old) and took out a policy with MoreThan. That's about £10 a month so not one of the cheapies but a lot cheaper than our other one! We made sure it had lifetime cover etc.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for petplan. Pricey but there is no faffing around when it comes to claims.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just generally wondering who people insure their pets with, and how much it costs them (per month or annually, depending on how you pay).

I have a tom cat [5 years old], he's neutered and chipped, and I pay nearish £19/month for him from John Lewis with an excess of £100. I am going to be changing this come November when the insurance policy is up because £19 is extortionate when on comparison websites I can get it down to around £10.

I have a female Bengal cat [3 this month!], neutered and chipped, and I pay £11.19/month for her with Marks and Spencer. I went through a comparison website to insure her, and my excess is £50.

Both insurance policies are lifetime ones, and I pay by direct debit monthly for them both, as paying annually didn't bring the cost down at all.

So, who do you insure your pet with and how much does it cost? And if you don't mind stating what your excess is, go ahead. :kitty:

I'm with Petplan and pay £8.50 a month for my cat. Excess is £50
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

Excess is £90.

Cabbage the 3 year old yorkie is £15 a month, McGee is 4 year old parsons is £19 a month - both with tesco, on their mid range plan (I think its about £4k per condition)

Mcgee has already had about £3k spent on his within a year after surgery to correct a grade 4 luxating patella (in english, his knee cap sat permanantly out of its socket).

BIB - Ive described Rens (14 yo JRT) heart condition in the thread about cats and heart murmers, and we didnt have insurance for her. We spend £60 a month on meds and I am not exaggeratnig here, she has easily had about £5ks worth of treatments in her life - spaying, mammary tumour removal, teeth surgery, xrays and diagnosis for her heart, eye removal . Fortunately our vets are great and they let us pay in 3 or 4 installments if we cant afford it in full, and her eye surgery while we were on holiday cost us £1200. My husband had an empty credit card fortunately for that.

We also pay £29 a month (for all three) to the vets for a plan that means they get 2 checkups a year, flea and worming treatment and all their jabs and kennel cough.

End of the day, we heave learnt our lesson - get insurance for your pet, its worth every damn penny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay £55 pm for a 14-year-old cat with John Lewis. If memory serves the excess is £140. It's a stack of cash, but dealing with JL has always been a breeze, with no arguments, phone calls etc when claiming. In fact, zero hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roooty wrote: »
    I pay £55 pm for a 14-year-old cat with John Lewis. If memory serves the excess is £140. It's a stack of cash, but dealing with JL has always been a breeze, with no arguments, phone calls etc when claiming. In fact, zero hassle.

That's a big monthly premium for one cat :o. I pay a bit less than that for all 3 of my cats. I had a cat who was nearly 16 when she died 3 years ago and her premium with Petplan was something like £22/month. I had made several claims in her early years and one big claim at the end of her life. There was never any hassle claiming with Petplan (and would appear to be considerably cheaper - although my cat had been insured since she was a tiny kitten so perhaps that's why it was quite a bit cheaper).

I believe John Lewis are good, there are many reliable insurers but my vets always say they like to deal with Petplan because the paperwork is straightforward and doesn't try to trip vets up in order for the insurance company to get out of not paying.

I had to do nothing when my Bernard was hospitalised recently except fill out one form and pay my excess. The vet practice did the rest.
  • Options
    SaylemSaylem Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Petplan here! I pay £11 a month for my 9 year old cat (I do get a discount on my policy though as I work in the veterinary profession). It's a lifetime policy covered up to £7,000 a year and excess is £90.

Have claimed for various things over the years and Petplan have always been prompt with payment and text me to let me know my claim form has been received.

Unfortunately some pet insurance companies lure you in with a cheap premium then the moment you make a claim, hike it up.