Helping a cat put on weight

MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody have any tips for helping a healthy cat put on a bit of weight? The vet has checked him and said he is in great condition and very healthy, and he's probably just losing a bit of weight as he gets older. I'm not overly concerned because he isn't underweight, but I do want to stop him losing or he will be.

He eats high quality cat food so I'm hoping there is something higher-fat that I can supplement his diet with, like fresh meat or fish perhaps, but I don't know a lot about feline nutrition... the internet has a lot of information about helping obese cats to slim down, but not a lot on helping cats get fatter!

Comments

• tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iams makes cats enormous in my experience.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Iams makes cats enormous in my experience.

Yes, my vet mentioned Iams being responsible for many fat cats she sees when I first got my cat as she was a little underweight and off her food. Luckily she started eating soon after so I've never tried her on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitten food.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extra Tinned Tuna
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Kitten food.

I second this. Always give my cats kitten food when they lose weight when they are ill, works wonders!
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Kitten food.

Isn't kitten food higher in protein which is not good for older cats whose kidneys are ageing? I know it's high calorie but not necessarily appropriate for an older cat. I don't have that problem, 2 of my cats are a bit overweight, the third is just right. However, if I felt a cat needed to gain weight, I'd probably just give a good quality complete diet which would fulfil the necessary nutritional requirements, and supplement it with high quality complementary food such as those sachets from Applaws (which I thought were a complete food until a poster on the food thread informed us otherwise). Also, the occasional treat of tuna or cooked chicken - although not all cats like these. One of my cats loves lactose reduced milk from whiskas which my vets strongly disapprove of - but my cat is fine with it and laps it up (she's the normal weight one).

Most cats love treats and I think they're ok as long as you adhere to the maximum daily quantities (about 10 dreamies) and they're in addition to an otherwise high quality diet.

I presume your cat has been tested for thyroid and/or renal problems? These commonly can cause a cat to lose body weight despite a normal or high food intake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Isn't kitten food higher in protein which is not good for older cats whose kidneys are ageing? I know it's high calorie but not necessarily appropriate for an older cat. I don't have that problem, 2 of my cats are a bit overweight, the third is just right. However, if I felt a cat needed to gain weight, I'd probably just give a good quality complete diet which would fulfil the necessary nutritional requirements, and supplement it with high quality complementary food such as those sachets from Applaws (which I thought were a complete food until a poster on the food thread informed us otherwise). Also, the occasional treat of tuna or cooked chicken - although not all cats like these. One of my cats loves lactose reduced milk from whiskas which my vets strongly disapprove of - but my cat is fine with it and laps it up (she's the normal weight one).

Most cats love treats and I think they're ok as long as you adhere to the maximum daily quantities (about 10 dreamies) and they're in addition to an otherwise high quality diet.

I presume your cat has been tested for thyroid and/or renal problems? These commonly can cause a cat to lose body weight despite a normal or high food intake.

If you're suggesting chicken or tuna (which is extra protein), how is that different to kitten food (which is extra protein)?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Cheese, wine, pizza.
  • julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kitten food is not good for older cats , buy food designed for older cats , I was told this by an old couple in the cat food aisle who heard us talking about my cats weight

I have spent years trying to put weight on her , the vet says she is healthy and her weight is fine , apparently a lot of cats are overweight which is unhealthy but people like them to look cuddly and chunky
    your cat is healthy so leave it and be happy you do not have to spend a fortune on medicine from the vets , my cat loves dreamies , she is 14 and has had treats all her life
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    If you're suggesting chicken or tuna (which is extra protein), how is that different to kitten food (which is extra protein)?

Kitten food has highly concentrated protein and calories in small quantities - very important for a growing and developing kitten but not so healthy for an older cat. I don't think the quantity of protein in chicken or tuna, in the quantity that a cat would eat, is anywhere near as concentrated as that in kitten food. That's just my own viewpoint as I have always been told not to give kitten food to adult cats and vice versa for kittens.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I discounted kitten food for the protein reason, though if he was actually underweight I'd consider it as a chance worth taking - his kidneys are fine. He does like canned tuna and cooked chicken but I'm not sure if they are actually fattening to cats. I'm totally at sea with cat nutrition outside of protein needs :confused:

I will get some Iams and see if he'll eat it.. fussy git :D

Thanks all!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Cheese, wine, pizza.

!!

It worked for me!
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might sound mad, but try putting down two different bowls of food instead. Like a buffet - they seem to love feeling they have a choice! This is how it goes in our house! My two enjoy sniffing their own bowls - looking up at me and refusing - sniffing the other's bowl - feeling that's the much better choice - eating that - then thinking now I'm almost stuffed I'll maybe I'll go back to the first one again - then thinking not so bad after all - and eating that! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    !!

It worked for me!

Me too, a bit too well :D
    Might sound mad, but try putting down two different bowls of food instead. Like a buffet - they seem to love feeling they have a choice! This is how it goes in our house! My two enjoy sniffing their own bowls - looking up at me and refusing - sniffing the other's bowl - feeling that's the much better choice - eating that - then thinking now I'm almost stuffed I'll maybe I'll go back to the first one again - then thinking not so bad after all - and eating that! :D

We do that too! He goes from one to the other and back again, then he goes over to have a sniff of our other cat's food. Like a little tapas bar.

He'll even have a bite of the cheap, crappy dog food we put out for the hedgehogs. You can bet your life he'd look at me in disgust if I served it to him, but since it's for someone else it's suddenly incredibly tasty...
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, a bit too well :D

We do that too! He goes from one to the other and back again, then he goes over to have a sniff of our other cat's food. Like a little tapas bar.

He'll even have a bite of the cheap, crappy dog food we put out for the hedgehogs. You can bet your life he'd look at me in disgust if I served it to him, but since it's for someone else it's suddenly incredibly tasty...

Aren't they funny? If I give mine a bit of ham say, when I'm making lunch - it has to be dropped onto the kitchen floor - all part of her devil may care attitude. Put a piece in the cat bowl however, that seems to ruin it and make it boring. She turns her nose up as if to say, you've taken away the reckless, excitement of a stolen bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they funny? If I give mine a bit of ham say, when I'm making lunch - it has to be dropped onto the kitchen floor - all part of her devil may care attitude. Put a piece in the cat bowl however, that seems to ruin it and make it boring. She turns her nose up as if to say, you've taken away the reckless, excitement of a stolen bit!

Yes, ours are just the same! My husband got a bowl of leftover apple pie and cream yesterday, put it down on the sofa while he hunted for the remote, and when he turned around one of the cats was licking all the cream off :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Nourish-Um paste is very good. It's a malty vitamin supplement in a tube. I gave it to one of mine when she was on the lean side. Works very well. They lick it off your finger or if you don't put the tube away, attack the tube - cats seem to like it!