Would it be entirely mad for me to commute by boat?

2»

Comments

• quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am another one who will put a vote in for cycling along the canal instead.

You would need to get a hybrid or mountain bike because the tow path could be pretty rugged and also you would need some REALLY really good lights for winter as the towpath is incredibly dark!

Another alternative would be to jog into work if you are that way inclined? Save a fortune on gym membership.

I cycle along the canal - 7 miles each way - to work - I don't use it at night but I am a woman and feel a bit vulnerable in that way.

I will say though that for about 3 months this winter the canals in Birmingham were totally frozen over - pretty thick ice too - so by boat it might not be the year round solution - unless you ice skate?!
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    If winter 2010 was anything to go by, you might need to consider alternative means of transport if the canal freezes over. Just something else to consider.
    Buy a set of ski, and ski to work :D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    If they can break the ice at either end of their commute, perhaps a mini-submarine?

Did you see how thick the ice was that winter? I don't think there was much water left in the canal, it was all ice!
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would walk in the summer and bike in the winter. Boats are expensive to maintain. I once heard a boat described as " A hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass into which you throw money".