Jesus Christ Superstar, C5&HD 11.35pm, Mon 30 Dec

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Maybe you had to be there. I was (not when it was recorded, mind).

Lots of whingers out in force tonight. Oh yeah, it's DS. I should have learned by now.

You're the one that called somebody "wrong" for daring to have a different opinion to yours...maybe it's you that's wrong?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth put it on in a graveyard slot?

A better question might be to wonder why broadcast it at all? It's utter drivel, barely recognisable as the same work from even a half decent performance.

If I'd paid to see it, I'd have asked for my money back
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »
    You're the one that called somebody "wrong" for daring to have a different opinion to yours...maybe it's you that's wrong?

I was being tongue-in-cheek with the original post ("with respect, you're wrong") sorry i lf that didnt come across, even with the winky smily thing.

Of course we're all entitled to our opinion. Just some folk also like a whinge.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    sjames wrote: »
    Yes it was filmed live, as it was filmed the night I went to see it in Birmingham. You can see the audience in some shots and Chris Moyles even says 'Thank you Birmingham' at the end of his song.

I think there have been some editing though to the DVD with the autotune. I remember when the DVD was first released, Tim Minchin took to twitter and complained that his voice had been autotuned when it didn't need to be.

Autotune would explain why visuals and vocals were completely out.
  • Options
    googliciousgooglicious Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    musicals are my idea of hell. would have to commit suicide if i was forced to watch by a kidnapper :)
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wondered why LW and Rice didn't finish with the resurrection.

Because they were telling the last week in Jesus' life from the point of view of Judas and Pilate, although they admit that Judas was actually dead before the Crucifixion. But that's why in a nutshell.
    peteblue wrote: »
    Outstanding, I really enjoyed there reworking of the show setting it in a more modern era did work really well. Good casting and great singing. Well done Andrew Lloyd Webber for this production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

That's not a reworking as such, the show is set in a "modern" era, they just update it to whatever's current at the time it's revived. I honestly don't think it works as an arena show, the audience is too dislocated from what's going on on stage.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Because they were telling the last week in Jesus' life from the point of view of Judas and Pilate, although they admit that Judas was actually dead before the Crucifixion. But that's why in a nutshell.

That's not a reworking as such, the show is set in a "modern" era, they just update it to whatever's current at the time it's revived. I honestly don't think it works as an arena show, the audience is too dislocated from what's going on on stage.

Best Arena show I have seen was Dr Who live - ( a reworking of the John Pertwee episode "Carnival of Monsters" about a fairground attraction that traps people and monsters inside it) Nigel Planer on the stage playing the showman, Matt Smith on video "trapped in the Tardis" and all the baddies and monsters - who all "appeared" by walking through the audience, down the aisles etc.

Kids loved it and you could see the actors playing the baddies were having a whale of time scaring the kids.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I saw the London show in 1973 with Paul Nicholas as Jesus and Dana someone as Mary Magdalene..... After all this time, I can't remember who the others were....

It was absolutely brilliant and I didn't actually rate the film much after seeing it live....

Dana Gillespie

Stephen Tate as Judas - Colm Wilkinson took over the role.

I saw the original at the P:alace Theatre and after seeing it didn't really care for the Ted Neely film either! Also saw a touring production with Glenn Carter plus the arena tour at the O2in 2011.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched a few clips of the search for Jesus show on YouTube and can see completely why Ben won, he was amazing on that so I can only guess that (for whatever reason), the performance when he was filmed for the arena show DVD just was a bit off. Either that or the bloody wig just cramped his performance level.
    Although having watched a fair bit of the search, my own personal choice would have been Rory.
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Best Arena show I have seen was Dr Who live - ( a reworking of the John Pertwee episode "Carnival of Monsters" about a fairground attraction that traps people and monsters inside it) Nigel Planer on the stage playing the showman, Matt Smith on video "trapped in the Tardis" and all the baddies and monsters - who all "appeared" by walking through the audience, down the aisles etc.

Kids loved it and you could see the actors playing the baddies were having a whale of time scaring the kids.

I've seen a few arena shows, Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance worked fabulously well, as did War of the Worlds.
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Dana Gillespie

Stephen Tate as Judas - Colm Wilkinson took over the role.

I saw the original at the P:alace Theatre and after seeing it didn't really care for the Ted Neely film either! Also saw a touring production with Glenn Carter plus the arena tour at the O2in 2011.

I'm not a fan of the Ted Neeley film either, I don't think it really comes across as well as the show does on stage. I saw the 1996 revival with Steve Balsamo, then the 1997 touring production and I also saw Glenn Carter. Have to say Steve Balsamo is my own personal favourite Jesus with Ian Gillan second.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Terrible music in this one. Only two decent tunes. The rest are horrible rock songs.
    I dont know how to love him and Gethsemane are brilliant. Steve Belsamo still sings it the best.
    Mel C is awful. How ever did she get on singing. Mary should have a soothing voice.