Options

Old soldier goes AWOL one last time.

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see this has been mentioned in the ceremonies thread.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »

I agree. I hope he has a good time and gets recognised as a hero and not an absconder. :)
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I think he's pretty worthy of his own thread OP :)
    Same spirit as when he served.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier, it was believed care home staff stopped him going to the events.

Brighton and Hove police had tweeted: "90 year old veteran reported missing from care home. Turns out they'd said no to him going to #DDay70 but he went anyway #fightingspirit"
    Good on the fella. What ****ing right did those ***** at the care home think they had to dictate what this bona fide hero can, or cannot, do?
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Ha, good for him. Should perhaps have called them before he left the country though so they weren't worried enough to waste police time.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Ha, good for him. Should perhaps have called them before he left the country though so they weren't worried enough to waste police time.

The copper who tweeted about it didn't seem to mind, anyway if he had have let them know sooner they would have had the law out anyway to get him back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chief Supt Kemp of Brighton and Hove police tweeted and some of the responses are quite good. For example "The Great Escape".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to an article on the Telegraph site, the home didn't actually ban him from going, rather they tried to arrange it for him and failed to do it in enough time.

That said, though, he managed it OK for himself.

Edit: I see that the BBC page has been updated to reflect this version of events.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Top bloke. :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for him. I heard them say on Sky News a little while ago that the media are trying to find him but can't track him down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that my initial headlne is not really accurate, Apparently he was not a soldier, he served in the Royal Navy. However, I still say "Good on him!".
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to an article on the Telegraph site, the home didn't actually ban him from going, rather they tried to arrange it for him and failed to do it in enough time.

That said, though, he managed it OK for himself.

Edit: I see that the BBC page has been updated to reflect this version of events.

BIB Ar*e covering. True Grit that made England great, just because your old doesn't mean your past it. Hope he has a whale of a time with this old comrades. Like they say in the Navy, that's life in a blue suit sailor!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB Ar*e covering. True Grit that made England great, just because your old doesn't mean your past it. Hope he has a whale of a time with this old comrades. Like they say in the Navy, that's life in a blue suit sailor!

Yes the home said they couldn't get him on the official trip due to the 'last minute nature of the request' and only then told him he couldn't go yet he managed to book a coach, a ferry and a hotel to get there himself and I would have thought he would have had to do that well in advance.

Its often true that 'official' bodies are good at 'damage limitation' once an event captures the public imagination and they realise attention is on them to justify or explain away their action.

I would like to see a statement from the RBL that confirms the home tried to get him on an official trip and they couldn't help.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    The copper who tweeted about it didn't seem to mind, anyway if he had have let them know sooner they would have had the law out anyway to get him back

Can they force him to return? He is an adult. If it were me i'd politely tell them where to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Can they force him to return? He is an adult. If it were me i'd politely tell them where to go.

Its been known before a woman got arrested for taking her mum out of a care home without their permission. I am sure the home would have given evidence to the police about him being vulnerable and the Police would have taken their word.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top bloke :-)
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that my initial headlne is not really accurate, Apparently he was not a soldier, he served in the Royal Navy. However, I still say "Good on him!".

Perhaps he was part of the naval rescue. Anyhow well done that man. The comradeship is deeply touching.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Yes the home said they couldn't get him on the official trip due to the 'last minute nature of the request' and only then told him he couldn't go yet he managed to book a coach, a ferry and a hotel to get there himself and I would have thought he would have had to do that well in advance.

Its often true that 'official' bodies are good at 'damage limitation' once an event captures the public imagination and they realise attention is on them to justify or explain away their action.

I would like to see a statement from the RBL that confirms the home tried to get him on an official trip and they couldn't help.
    I don't think he did it in advance as someone on the coach called the home to report his absence and where he was so they must have had a idea he did not inform where he was going.
  • Options
    Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on him.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard it on the radio earlier....what a guy :D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Heard it on the radio earlier....what a guy :D

Agreed. ^_^

That generation was truly remarkable and yet those who went never talked about their service in my experience. My grandparents (RIP) for example, my Grandad volunteering to go fight against the Nazis at 18 years of age.

And yet we now have reality 'stars' and celebrities constantly whining about the pressure of fame and money.

F*** off.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    A remarkable guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I don't think he did it in advance as someone on the coach called the home to report his absence and where he was so they must have had a idea he did not inform where he was going.

I think this statement made it very clear that he had always intended to go and would not have left it to the last minute

The memorial services meant a lot to him. He clearly didn't want to miss what might be his last one
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. ^_^

That generation was truly remarkable and yet those who went never talked about their service in my experience. My grandparents (RIP) for example, my Grandad volunteering to go fight against the Nazis at 18 years of age.

And yet we now have reality 'stars' and celebrities constantly whining about the pressure of fame and money.

F*** off.
    If war broke out and we had to depend on some of those young enough to fight - we'd be well ****ed! :kitty: