Options

Jeremy Paxman Quits Newsnight

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    He said Paxman was going at the end of June so not much time really.
    Another 6 weeks, plenty of time on the assumption that any selection process and wrangling over contracts is already under way (especially if there needs to be some agreement with other BBC controllers should the candidate be moving from somewhere else within the BBC, radio for instance). And if there are any delays, there are sufficient presenters in the meantime.

In short, he is under no obligation to announce a name or possible candidate on national TV at the behest of Samira Ahmed.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    He'd become cliched and boring anyway. His insulting and baiting guests was so obvious you'd see through it a mile off

Absolutely right. A very poor interviewer who should have been pensioned off years ago. Compare his approach with, say, that of the excellent Jon Snow, who lulls victims into a false sense of security then goes for the jugular without them even realising.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    I do hope that Jeremy Paxman is not going to be replaced permanently by Yalda Hakim. Watched her last night....absolutely terrible interviewing technique.

See 17:30 minutes onwards as she tries to do a "Paxman" on the Leader of the Greens:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b043wgnd/newsnight-16052014

Someone on The Spectator read my post......

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/rod-liddle/2014/05/the-post-paxo-future-of-newsnight-looks-nice-but-sounds-bad/
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Compare his approach with, say, that of the excellent Jon Snow, who lulls victims into a false sense of security then goes for the jugular without them even realising.

Jon Snow is a great broadcaster on certain days but I grit my teeth watching him these days as he`s getting doddery and it often shows.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like Yalda, can't you wait at least until she's inevitably pinched by ITV to replace Susanna Reid before slagging her off?
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    I like Yalda, can't you wait at least until she's inevitably pinched by ITV to replace Susanna Reid before slagging her off?

She'd be useless at ITV.....she wouldn't know who Cheggers was :p
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That someone was Rod Liddle, so hardly worth the effort of reading it, she was OK on her first appearance in hope she's on often.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Jon Snow is a great broadcaster on certain days but I grit my teeth watching him these days as he`s getting doddery and it often shows.

Like the last few mins of C4 news tonight? Cringe worthy!
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    She seems to suffer from the same problem as too many other new presenters-of assuming that interrupting for interrupting's sake is what is required. What presenters like Paxman do is spot when someone is giving standard lines or blustering and jump in then to push them into being clear. That is very different from just interrupting because you think that's what presenters do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Like the last few mins of C4 news tonight? Cringe worthy!

Just so. His talkback must still have been in his ear and yet he looked utterly befuddled, like a grandad lost in Surrey Quays shopping centre, as Cathy took over his lines.

We must surely only be a few months away from an announcement?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of unfair criticism of Paxman on here in my view.

He interviewed Farage last night - no interrupting, no hectoring - just a high quality, intelligent interview.

And that is Paxman's strength - he operates at a far higher level of intellect than almost all other presenters.

Not saying other presenters don't do a good job - many do a very good job indeed - but Paxman has an additional intellectual edge which puts him a step above almost all others.

The result is that his questions tend to have more depth to them (where the opportunity arises) than you get with most others.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Absolutely right. A very poor interviewer who should have been pensioned off years ago. Compare his approach with, say, that of the excellent Jon Snow, who lulls victims into a false sense of security then goes for the jugular without them even realising.

Seriously? There's no comparison. It's Jon Snow who ought to be thinking seriously of calling it a day. I fear for NN after Paxman departs.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never watched Newsnight before, only watched for the story on UKIP in Rotherham, Jeremy Paxman appears to be fed up, he looks ill and seems very lacklustre

He is right to leave he looks like presenting this is a chore to him.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG June Sarpong...June Bloody Sarpong, the Blairite loving, annoyingly irating ex presenter of MTV and T4 is joining Newsnight.

Bye Bye Newsnight this is surely the end of this programme, it now has no credibility whatsoever.

I really hoped I would never see June Sarpong on tv again.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no particular dislike for June Sarpong but if you look at her previous work it seems that Newsnight editor Ian Katz is continuing his plan to dumb it down to the level of the One Show.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry about Junes' appointment, it's only for a few features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »

Had better be. I ****ing loathe that woman.

Is Katz a fifth columnist? Sky and ITV couldn`t have planted a more destructive mole.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »

It would appear that it will as you say be some features of a lighter nature that some more serious issue presenters prefer not to do.

But Katz is behaving rather oddly with Newsnight and needs to be careful or we will be seeing Alan Carr replacing Paxman under his new less serious agenda ?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a column in todays "i" newspaper it is suggested that Jeremy should be replaced by James O'Brien!
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    He is/was one of the very small number of interviewers who could rattle politicians, did not accept weasel words as an answer, and was never in awe of them.

There's a big difference between robust questioning and aggressive, sneering interviewing. I'll be glad to see the back of him.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    There's a big difference between robust questioning and aggressive, sneering interviewing. I'll be glad to see the back of him.

Well, not watching is the easy way for you to do that. Though if that's all you think he does, maybe you aren't really a viewer at all?

As for his interviewing style. We need more people like JP. Most of today's lot are so sheepish that they are completely unable to represent an inqusitive audience by asking incisive questions AND getting a satisfactory answer. If getting those answers and holding people to account on our behalf requires being argumentative to people who cynically refuse to address the issues they are paid to explain to us, then so be it. It's just a shame their presence isn't mandatory - so many of them chicken out, so if they don't want to go on the programme nobody requires them to. They get what they deserve and get treated with respect if they don't, themselves, try to weasel out of answering the questions put to them.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    He'd become cliched and boring anyway. His insulting and baiting guests was so obvious you'd see through it a mile off

Yes, even his famous interview was mind numbingly boring. He killed newsnight for me. It became dull dull dull.

So was he hyped up by right wing mates in the media, a bit like how dullard Boris gets hyped?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evan Davis will replace Jeremy Paxman as the lead presenter of Newsnight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28401058

Presumably he won't be replaced on Today because James Naughtie will return full-time after the Scottish referendum, thus restoring the five-presenter rotation (Humphrys, Naughtie, Montague, Webb, Husain).