Missing cat :(

aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
Forum Member
✭✭
My cat has been missing since yesterday, shes an indoor cat and she usually roams in the garden for 30 mins max but runs back home. She has never disappeared like this before and im really worried sick (didnt even go into work today as im trying to search for her). I've looked absolutely everywhere and theres no sign of her, shes not one to go far, like its so out of character for her. Im not sure what else i can do :(:(:(. She's a long tailed tabby cat.

Comments

• lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    My cat has been missing since yesterday, shes an indoor cat and she usually roams in the garden for 30 mins max but runs back home. She has never disappeared like this before and im really worried sick (didnt even go into work today as im trying to search for her). I've looked absolutely everywhere and theres no sign of her, shes not one to go far, like its so out of character for her. Im not sure what else i can do :(:(:(. She's a long tailed tabby cat.

Hi

Put some notices in surrounding houses (front, side and back). Include asking neighbours to check sheds/garages. I assume your cat hasnt been microchipped?
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    Hi

Put some notices in surrounding houses (front, side and back). Include asking neighbours to check sheds/garages. I assume your cat hasnt been microchipped?

No she hasn't been microchipped :/.

Yeh I checked the next door neighbours shed and there was still no sign of her. I will put up some notices, thank you.

This is just such a strange case for me because she's timid, like as soon as she hears human voices in the back garden she would run straight home, i literally have no clue where she could be :/.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She probably ventured a little further, then got spooked and ran the wrong way and is now lost.
    Try walking around the streets calling her name - she should know your voice and come to you if she can.
    Fingers crossed, and when you get her back, please get her chipped - it doesn't cost much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    She probably ventured a little further, then got spooked and ran the wrong way and is now lost.
    Try walking around the streets calling her name - she should know your voice and come to you if she can.
    Fingers crossed, and when you get her back, please get her chipped - it doesn't cost much.

Okay thank you, im going to walk around the building and road area now, if she ever does come back i will definately get her microchipped, i just hope it isnt too late :/
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some of her fluff out of the vacuum and spread it around the garden. It will smell familiar and she will hopefully work out where she is meant to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Get some of her fluff out of the vacuum and spread it around the garden. It will smell familiar and she will hopefully work out where she is meant to go.

Yes i will do that too, thanks.

Well i had a look around my building and no sign whatsoever, we asked the neighbour to check their garden shed and she wasnt there either. I have my "missing cat" posters ready which ill post through the letter box of all my neighbours.

My friends/parents are reassuring me that cats generally do this as they are spontaneous creatures and they generally find their way back, i guess im just holding onto that hope at the moment, though the thought of her without food or water is making this a whole lot worse.
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible she might be indoors somewhere and can't get out? Have you had any floor boards up, been in the loft, or anything like that?

Is the garden she roams in at the front or back of your property, possibly near a road?
    Could she, or would she get into a vehicle at all?

It might be worth while going slightly further afield calling her name. My new neighbour's cat went missing just a few days after they moved house and they were worried sick. The chap went quite a way round the neighbourhood calling his cat's name, and then went round the neighbours telling them, and us that he was missing. Half an hour later he was at our door again saying that his cat had just appeared from the direction he had just come from. So it seemed like his puss had got lost in its new environment and the sound of his voice had probably led him home.

Definitely worth a go. Good luck, I hope she turns up soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itsy - that reminds me of a lost cat story on here a few months back - cats were lost at vets a mile or so away but it seems they picked up the owners scent when they walked to the vets area and followed it home after a few days, so its possible that may happen here.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to hear that OP. It's horrible when a pet is missing.

My Bungle went missing over 5 weeks ago and she still hasn't returned. If you have a Facebook account it would be a good idea to put it on there. I've used lots of local postcode groups and it gets shared a lot so many people see it.

Also contact the vet that you take your cat to and register them missing. Is your cat micro-chipped at all? Also is he/she neutered? If not then it's not unusual for them to go wandering when in season.

As others have said, put posters in all of your local shops etc. If he/she is micro-chipped then phone the micro-chipping company and register them missing.

I hope that helps and I hope that your cat returns soon. I know how it feels to have a missing cat. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that OP. It's horrible when a pet is missing.

My Bungle went missing over 5 weeks ago and she still hasn't returned. If you have a Facebook account it would be a good idea to put it on there. I've used lots of local postcode groups and it gets shared a lot so many people see it.

Also contact the vet that you take your cat to and register them missing. Is your cat micro-chipped at all? Also is he/she neutered? If not then it's not unusual for them to go wandering when in season.

As others have said, put posters in all of your local shops etc. If he/she is micro-chipped then phone the micro-chipping company and register them missing.

I hope that helps and I hope that your cat returns soon. I know how it feels to have a missing cat. :(

Awww...so sorry to read that, Mimicole.:( Is there any way your puss might have got into a delivery van/vehicle? It's just that I've heard so many stories of that happening and cats turning up somewhere some distance away.

Of course some do wander off for weeks at a time before meandering back home. Is it something your puss has done before, or is it out of character? Sorry for all the questions, but what age is Bungle?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi itsy - the last time i saw her was in the kitchen eating, the windows and door was open for the front and back garden - but its not in character for her to wonder off for so long or for that much of a distance which is concerning. Ive been checking the garden non stop but still nothing.

Yeah i intially thought she was hiding somewhere at home but I checked all her hiding spots, also she would usually come out by now for food if she was at home :/. Nah she wouldnt get in a vehicle, shes scared of human voices (that aren't her owners), like if im carrying her and someone presses the doorbell then she'd scratch me to get off my arms and hide. I will definatly search the entire area and i'll get my family to help too.

Mimicole - Omg im so sad to hear that too! Like, i didn't think i would be this hurt/worried, they really are family to us. The worst thing is not knowing whether our cats are alive or not, i would much rather know if she got hit by a car or w/e than holding out to false hope. My cat has been neutored but she isn't microchipped (really wish i microchipped her now). Im not gonna stop searching whatever happens, shes such a gorgeous fluffy cat with a pink nose :(

Thanks all for your contributions so far, i appreciate it.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,083
    Forum Member
    aw thinking of you both, nothing to add but hope both cats come home soon
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    itsy bitsy wrote: »
    Awww...so sorry to read that, Mimicole.:( Is there any way your puss might have got into a delivery van/vehicle? It's just that I've heard so many stories of that happening and cats turning up somewhere some distance away.

Of course some do wander off for weeks at a time before meandering back home. Is it something your puss has done before, or is it out of character? Sorry for all the questions, but what age is Bungle?

I'd not heard of the delivery van theory, but I'll certainly look into it. She disappeared for 8 days and came back for a week previously. She was very timid and affectionate when she returned. Bungle was clingy, which was out of character. A neighbour said that they'd opened their shed door and ran down their garden path and showed up at home soon after so it sounds as if she was shut in for a while. That said, she wasn't hungry or thirsty when she got in. We put wet and dry food down with a bowl of water and she hardly touched it.

For that reason we believe that somebody may have been feeding her. My Mum seems to think that she's living locally with someone else. If she does come home we don't think that she'll stay if she's established somewhere else as home.

She's three years old and three months. :) She was born in our house, that's how we know the exact date.

We're going to leave a poster at the vet that she is registered with on Friday as we're taking our new kitten to get his vaccinations.

Thanks for your concern though, I appreciate it.

Hope that your cat returns soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys!

So after 4 days of searching, talking to neighbours, putting up posters and generally getting so emotionally and physically drained, i almost gave up. However my neighbour came to our door yesterday night to tell us that she thinks our cat is hiding in her bedroom. We literally ran to their house to find that my cat was hiding under the corner of her bed looking incredibly scared, i called out her name and she started meowing and walking towards me so i picked her up and took her home :). Ofcourse we're going to give our neighbour a cake as a thank you.

Im so delighted to have her back and we will definately microchip her, she was quite traumatised but managed to drink so much water and finish two bowls of food and slept beside my leg the whole night. Heres a picture of her http://tinypic.com/r/r7nm8y/8 :).

Thanks all for your contributions. Mimicole, i really hope he returns to you soon, i know exactly how bad the stress can be <3. If someone is feeding him then atleast hes being cared for (even though they should really find out who the cat belongs to)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats great news:D
    I wonder if she'd been there the whole time? Unlikely I suppose as where would she have been toileting?

Good to have the chipping done, its not guaranteed to work as someone has to actually fetch the cat to a vet, but its really the best bet.
    Though after her adventure I wouldn't be surprised if she never leaves the house, let alone the garden, again!
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news - been checking to see if she returned! Very happy for you.
  • panic roompanic room Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Wonderful news. I have spent many days worried sick when my bundles of fluff have been missing for several days only to turn up acting like nothings happened and no doubt wondering why they are smothered with hugs.

Hopefully everyone's missing pets will return to their people ASAP
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    So pleased to see that she's home - she looks gorgeous :)
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very glad she's home. One of mine went missing for 24 hours once. I was having a nervous breakdown!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how did she get into you neighbours bedroom
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So after 4 days of searching, talking to neighbours, putting up posters and generally getting so emotionally and physically drained, i almost gave up. However my neighbour came to our door yesterday night to tell us that she thinks our cat is hiding in her bedroom. We literally ran to their house to find that my cat was hiding under the corner of her bed looking incredibly scared, i called out her name and she started meowing and walking towards me so i picked her up and took her home :). Ofcourse we're going to give our neighbour a cake as a thank you.

Im so delighted to have her back and we will definately microchip her, she was quite traumatised but managed to drink so much water and finish two bowls of food and slept beside my leg the whole night. Heres a picture of her http://tinypic.com/r/r7nm8y/8 :).

Thanks all for your contributions. Mimicole, i really hope he returns to you soon, i know exactly how bad the stress can be <3. If someone is feeding him then atleast hes being cared for (even though they should really find out who the cat belongs to)

That's great news. It's a horrible ordeal to lose them. I have 6 who all "found" me :o Mine is probably only one of their "homes"! They can put themselves about.

Cats natural nosiness gets them into so much bother!
    She's a little beauty :kitty::D
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how did she get into you neighbours bedroom

I was thinking the same, a little strange imo. Anyway, so glad you got her back.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, a little strange imo. Anyway, so glad you got her back.

Open window, open door and they're in.:D
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    She's a little beauty. So glad you got her back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooo pleased you've got your beautiful cat back. :)

Maybe she was freaked by something and went into your neighbours' house by mistake.

My cat managed, when a youngster, to get himself into my neighbours' house. I totally froze when I spotted him sitting on their kitchen windowsill inside. We had to wait for them to come home later that day to let him out. And they're not cat lovers . :o

Another time a different neighbour's cat found its way into my bedroom early a.m. I sleepily reached out to stroke it thinking it was my cat. Don't know who got the bigger shock. Poor puss flew out of the room, down the stairs and out through the front door (opened by hubby) as if its tail was on fire.