Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I've objected to this with Nolan himself as well......Nick Ferrari at least has manners to refer to the PM as David Cameron at least or usually Mr Cameron.....

whatever your colours if someone has managed to lead the country IMO they at least deserve some degree of respect......

if Labour gets in I would expect them to refer to Mr Milliband as well (albeit very briefly if the Scots vote yes as the majority ebbs away after 18 months when the Scots Labour MP's have to leave but that's a whole other story!) :D:D

Any views on the new morning shows yet? I haven't been able to listen....

Tuned in this morning for the first time and it was a TBDW interview with a bloke who must have admitted to being violent to his partner. This was followed by Sam Walker and I swear this is verbatim ' have you been the subject of domestic violence, call us now on 0500 909 693'

plus ça change, plus c'est la même
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone really think it was going to be different?

At least it suggests it was the production team that was picking the subjects for each show and not, shhhh, you know who.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuned in this morning for the first time and it was a TBDW interview with a bloke who must have admitted to being violent to his partner. This was followed by Sam Walker and I swear this is verbatim ' have you been the subject of domestic violence, call us now on 0500 909 693'

Ho Ho.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was about to post this morning & say I can't see any difference between Sam Walker's programme & VD's !
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Anna Foster in South Africa and why is Nicky Campbell in England ? and why did I go over to LBC at 10.20am having only just joined 5 Live at 9.50am ? :)

All questions are rhetorical.:)
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

At least it suggests it was the production team that was picking the subjects for each show and not, shhhh, you know who.

But that was obvious wasn't it? I noticed it ages ago when VD would have stand in's it seemed odd to hear some presenters talking misery like say Phil Williams.....

Very few presenters on TV or Radio have the power we listeners/viewers credit them with .:)
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Walker....'' and on today's show we speak to someone, who wishes to remain anonymous but wants to tell her side of a disturbing story on how she became a victim of organisational upheaval and office politics after 16 years of loyal service to the company cause.She feels she has not only been unfairly treated and discriminated against by her bosses ,she has been shifted off to some broadcasting backwater and is soon to be replaced by a male presenter who is almost approaching retirement.Her daily diet of human interest stories and raising her voice to callers, who she told abruptly on occasions to '' pull themselves together '' , proved popular with many, as her face book page demonstrates and her departure has saddened her hard core fans.Today we try and get to the bottom of this injustice.Vicky how does this make you feel...?
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

It was obvious to me it was the production team. It will be interesting to see if Peter and Adrian cover such topics and if that is the case people's reactions on here.

I would guess they won't be as strident as the anti VD comments.
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I think we are just in an interim period and the content won't change until the new programme starts. I don't think it has been quite as bad, just because we didn't have to listen to VD's faux sympathetic, doom laden voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Walker....'' and on today's show we speak to someone, who wishes to remain anonymous but wants to tell her side of a disturbing story on how she became a victim of organisational upheaval and office politics after 16 years of loyal service to the company cause.She feels she has not only been unfairly treated and discriminated against by her bosses ,she has been shifted off to some broadcasting backwater and is soon to be replaced by a male presenter who is almost approaching retirement.Her daily diet of human interest stories and raising her voice to callers, who she told abruptly on occasions to '' pull themselves together '' , proved popular with many, as her face book page demonstrates and her departure has saddened her hard core fans.Today we try and get to the bottom of this injustice.Vicky how does this make you feel...?

Clever..... she could interview herself. :D
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is the BBC "expert" who is positively gushing in his praise of the judge in the Reeva/Pistorious trial? His excerpt keeps being played in the news broadcasts.

I ask this as by contrast many people will be worried that this same judge has just set in train a dreadful miscarriage of justice today.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I think we are just in an interim period and the content won't change until the new programme starts. I don't think it has been quite as bad, just because we didn't have to listen to VD's faux sympathetic, doom laden voice.

That's it. Faux sympathetic, doom laden voice. In one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Who is the BBC "expert" who is positively gushing in his praise of the judge in the Reeva/Pistorious trial? His excerpt keeps being played in the news broadcasts.

I ask this as by contrast many people will be worried that this same judge has just set in train a dreadful miscarriage of justice today.

Judge Masipa was a victim of apartheid - so she can do no wrong.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    many people will be worried that this same judge has just set in train a dreadful miscarriage of justice today.
    [/quote]

Many people probably thought it had gone away and are hoping that soon they won't have to hear any more about it. 5 Live have wasted money on sending Anna Foster there when one reporter would be enough.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station has had it.
    Tried. However the so and so's have ruined it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Many people probably thought it had gone away and are hoping that soon they won't have to hear any more about it. 5 Live have wasted money on sending Anna Foster there when one reporter would be enough.[/QUOTE]

Whu did there have to be any reporter sent there at all? Africa has it's own reporters and they could have covered the case ( which IMO is of very little interest to many in the UK) and reported the proceedings.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Africa has it's own reporters and they could have covered the case ( which IMO is of very little interest to many in the UK) and reported the proceedings.

Which is exactly what LBC have done. They spoke to a guy this morning who gave a very succinct summing up of what was to happen.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've been watching Sky News who have sent Jeremy Thompson, Alex Crawford and their chief crime reporter to Pretoria.

I suspect though the BBC would never admit it ,that they need to send link people to the scene because that's what their rivals are doing.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I think we are just in an interim period and the content won't change until the new programme starts.

That's the way I see it - although it's not something I'd personally ever opt to listen to, I'd expect the editions of Radio 5 Live's mid-morning programme between Victoria Derbyshire's departure and the introduction of Adrian Chiles and Peter Allen to sound pretty similar in style and format to the shows in that slot when Derbyshire has been absent in the past.

I can appreciate why the station's management wouldn't be keen to introduce aspects of the new (and hopefully significantly different) format until the regular presenters make their debuts in the timeslot. So very possibly it's not what you'd want to hear, but I find this approach understandable at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be amazed if the new morning show with Allen and Chiles bore the tiniest resemblance to the drivel we've had inflicted on us since time immemorial.
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I see tonight's seemingly endless programme is the usual hours and hours of tribute and analysis of the loud over bearing Irishman whose booming tones dwarfed any reasoned conversation or opposite view. The man who ensured his was the only voice heard in any one room.

As well as Stephen Nolan, I understand they will also be paying tribute to the Reverend Ian Paisley who has died today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the Basil Brush smilie ? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    I see tonight's seemingly endless programme is the usual hours and hours of tribute and analysis of the loud over bearing Irishman whose booming tones dwarfed any reasoned conversation or opposite view. The man who ensured his was the only voice heard in any one room.

As well as Stephen Nolan, I understand they will also be paying tribute to the Reverend Ian Paisley who has died today.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the Basil Brush smilie ? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxbM7-jAD0
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened in the years since I listened to Dominic Busby who has his own regional programme on BBC Southern Counties/Solent and nowadays where he just reads the sports news on 5 Live?
This discussion has been closed.