Silence of the Lambs vs Seven

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
Forum Member
Go on...if you had to choose one of them, which would it be and why...tough choice for me...by a very slim margin i would pick seven...simply because i watched it blind (if that makes sense) the ending was a total shock and blew me away....over to you!! :cool:

Comments

• Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silence of The Lambs, I just enjoyed it more as a movie overall. Brad Pitt annoyed me in Seven too, I think they should have got a better actor to play his character, the ending to Seven was shocking I will say that. Silence of The Lambs though is a much better film with better performances all round
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven, hands down.

I know I'm one of the minority, but Silence of the Lambs didn't wow me at all. Before you say anything, I knew almost nothing about this film so I went in blind. I did see (and liked) Manhunter before I saw Silence of the Lambs, but I didn't know both were based on the same novel.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silence of the Lambs - but it is, like your choice, by a very slim margin.
    I saw Lambs at the cinema with my best friend and we were mesmerized by it, we bought it on video on day of release and watched it together again. We still say "Closerrrr" to each other now lol.
    It's more "quotable" than Seven, and seems more elegant in it's staging and structure.

It is a few years since I've seen Seven, I keep meaning to buy it on Blu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    It's more "quotable" than Seven, and seems more elegant in it's staging and structure.

I agree fully...so many classic lines beautifully staged and delivered
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) Silence Of The Lambs for me.I've seen it many many times now and it still entertains.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silence of the Lambs.

Seven was pretty good, but rather depressing in tone, and I found the ending a predictable anti-climax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    never liked Seven much, mainly due to Brad Pitt.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Silence of the Lambs for me. Se7en is a bit too miserable. Too dark and constantly raining but mainly it's the chemistry between Lecter and Starling that makes the film.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Seven, hands down.

I know I'm one of the minority, but Silence of the Lambs didn't wow me at all. Before you say anything, I knew almost nothing about this film so I went in blind. I did see (and liked) Manhunter before I saw Silence of the Lambs, but I didn't know both were based on the same novel.

They weren't - Red Dragon and Manhunter were based on the same book.

In answer to the OP - tough call but I would go with SotL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both films, but I would probably go for 'The Silence of the Lambs'. 'Se7en' is absolutely fantastic and I love the dark tone of it, but I think the mystery and suspense and then the shock of the ending are some of its best features, and these things aren't quite so powerful after repeated viewings. Hannibal Lecter is a mesmerising character, and his relationship with Starling is just as fascinating the tenth time you watch it as it is the first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love and own both too but Silence is much better than Se7en.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    SOTL had you gripped towards the end. So did 7 but you did not quite get that hairs standing on the edge, had you done with the other. Both brilliant films though, one earlier than the other so suspense endings, you started to get used to.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both are good but Silence Of The Lambs wins for me by a mile simply because it has a better plot.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    They weren't - Red Dragon and Manhunter were based on the same book.

And frankly Manhunter beats both SOTL and Seven hands down. Superb film.
  • Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Silence of the Lambs by a mile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both are good movies. A great performance by a Brad Pitt. The guy gets a bum rap but he has pulled off some good performance. So if I had to choose I'd go with 'Silence of the Lambs' for Hopkins performance. Ok Spacey was good in Seven but Spacey always plays 'creepy'. However Hopkins was super creepy in 'Lambs'
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd go for Se7en, but I've not seen SOTL for years, so maybe I'd be swayed if I watched it again.

From what I remember, I enjoyed Red Dragon more than SOTL (Manhunter too) but as I say it must be over 5 years since I watched SOTL
  • DonaldFunkDonaldFunk Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Great thrillers, can't think of any similar movies that reached such heights in the 21st century.

I think SOTL is one of the greatest movies of all time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today I'm saying Se7en. Tomorrow, I may well say Silence of the Lambs - both great films.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be in a minority but I didn't like seven at all. Love sotl though
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Silence of the Lambs for the performances. Though like Linda Blair in The Exorcist and Brando in The Godfather, Hopkins performance has been spoofed to the point it's difficult to take seriously thesedays.

Seven doesn't have the problem but then it doesn't have tour-de-force performances. I was gripped by it more on first viewing, however.

Both have been ripped off a hell of a lot.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both massively over-rated (especially Hopkins' performance), but I'd go for Seven, because until Pitt's acting collapses in the final scene, it's a nice tight thriller.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    This is a tough one OP. Both great movies with great cast. I was going to go for Se7ven as I found the death scenes good for each of the seven deadly sins. I find this movie more action packed than TSOTL. However some of the scenes were a bit dull around Brad Pitts wife but I guess that leads us up to the climax of the movie.
    So I have to go with TSOTL which I didn't want to choose over Se7ven. This was creepy and edge of your seat viewing and as others have already said, there are some great classic quotes from this film leaving it very memorable, "I'm having an old friend for lunch"
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 23/08/17 - 10:40 #25
    Tough call. Both great films, but different. SOTL is more police procedural detective work, whereas Seven is more cat-and-mouse and psychlogical. I think Hopkins' performance is over-rated, but then Pitt's a weak link in Seven. Hard to choose, but for me, if I had both DVD's in my hand, I'd go for Seven. I think the concept is more imaginative (which is obviously not SOTL's fault; it was working from a novel) and the environment and general atmosphere it takes place in - dark, dingy, never stops raining - really adds to the un-ease and creepiness of the film.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 24/08/17 - 06:04 #26
    Tough one. I'd probably go for Seven, Hopkins was just too hammy as Lector for me. Brian Cox was better as the character in Manhunter.