Leaving Virgin ADSL Internet at End of the Month

Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last straw, going with sky.

I have been with virgin for over a year with constant problems of dropping out and very slow speeds such as this

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2440698038.png

What a farce Virgins ADSL service is...
Had fibre optic over my old place and was excellent at 10MB but could only get ADSL in new flat which has always been poor

Had to vent, rant over:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you have fibre you do realise that your internet is going to come over the exact same BT phone line that your Virgin ADSL connection came over so the may not be any difference so do please post back with the results from your new connection in a month or so's time.
  • Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    Unless you have fibre you do realise that your internet is going to come over the exact same BT phone line that your Virgin ADSL connection came over so the may not be any difference so do please post back with the results from your new connection in a month or so's time.

Yes I know the differences. But the problem with my Virgin ADSL was the connection between Virgin and the Exchange:p
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know the differences. But the problem with my Virgin ADSL was the connection between Virgin and the Exchange:p

How do you know that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the exact same exchange and cabling that SKY will use, if so expect very little difference in line quality as they will not fit a new line as it is already installed and ready for use.
  • Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the exact same exchange and cabling that SKY will use, if so expect very little difference in line quality as they will not fit a new line as it is already installed and ready for use.

Alot of smartass people in here lol:cool:

Researching on the internet I found Sky have their own cables to the local exchange and also some speeds have been faster too:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Researching on the internet I found Sky have their own cables to the local exchange and also some speeds have been faster too:)
    The cable to your house is the important one as it depends on the distance and oddly enough all ISP's run their "CABLE" to the exchange it's what happens afterwards thats the concern.;)

Remember to keep us updated as to if it is any different as people in your neighbourhood would love to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe SKY's hype are you interested in bridge that I have for sale in London.:p:p:p:p:p
  • GKPGKP Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    No need to be antagonist you guys.
    I REALLY would like to see a head-to-head comparison after a while to see who is really doing the business.
    I mean, either it will change or it will stay the same. Let's see. Either way I'm interested as I've had my fill of promises from them all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GKP wrote: »
    No need to be antagonist you guys.
    I REALLY would like to see a head-to-head comparison after a while to see who is really doing the business.
    I mean, either it will change or it will stay the same. Let's see. Either way I'm interested as I've had my fill of promises from them all.
    That is exactly what I asked for above but he sadly believes that SKY have their own dedicated line to the BT exchange but sadly it does not work like that in a BT exchange, the companies just use a BT landline to feed your connection from the exchange the same as if you are Plusnet, BT or any other of the myriad ADSL ISP's available nowadays.

Do you actually believe that BT would allow a rival company to run its own phone lines to one of their exchanges, as above if you believe that then I have a cheap bridge for sale in the middle of London.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is exactly what I asked for above but he sadly believes that SKY have their own dedicated line to the BT exchange but sadly it does not work like that in a BT exchange, the companies just use a BT landline to feed your connection from the exchange the same as if you are Plusnet, BT or any other of the myriad ADSL ISP's available nowadays.

Do you actually believe that BT would allow a rival company to run its own phone lines to one of their exchanges, as above if you believe that then I have a cheap bridge for sale in the middle of London.

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/what_is_llu_.html

Companies like Sky have their own equipment in the exchange, and sometimes have their ownb backhaul from there to themselves.

Obviously from exchange to house is along the BT line, but having LLU in the excahnge can get you better rresults than using the standard ADSL (which Virgin will be) that is just a resold BT Product.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above results are much more important than little snippets of info as it all still goes down BT's ancient copper phone lines and that and the distance is all that matters.

I am 600 metres from my Virgin Media cabinet and I get 62Mb on my 60Mb connection but if it was BT I would get less than 2Mb due to the distance involved regardless of of any LLU as I am 2 miles from the exchange.

I know who I want to have as my ISP as I want speed and reliability not the Trabant of of the internet world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above results are much more important than little snippets of info as it all still goes down BT's ancient copper phone lines and that and the distance is all that matters.

I am 600 metres from my Virgin Media cabinet and I get 62Mb on my 60Mb connection but if it was BT I would get less than 2Mb due to the distance involved regardless of of any LLU as I am 2 miles from the exchange.

I know who I want to have as my ISP as I want speed and reliability not the Trabant of of the internet world.

I'm asuming the OP hasn't got fibre available (they say they can't in their opening post), either with BT or VM, as they are on Virgin ADSL, not their fibre product.

Therefore, Sky ADSL could be an improvement, as it will be LLU and not the rebadged/wholesale BT product, depending on whats in their exchange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm asuming the OP hasn't got fibre available (they say they can't in their opening post), either with BT or VM, as they are on Virgin ADSL, not their fibre product.

Therefore, Sky ADSL could be an improvement, as it will be LLU and not the rebadged/wholesale BT product, depending on whats in their exchange.
    Dependent on how good their phone line is as well that does matter as that technology is a 120 years old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still depends how good the BT phone line is to the property.

Not that I would ever have a BT line attached not had one this century and it belongs to the 19th century anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still depends how good the BT phone line is to the property.

I am well aware of that, my point being that is not the only factor.

With LLU, you "might" get a better speed, depending on the exchange, it is not ALL down to the phone line from exchange to house, as others have said.
    Not that I would ever have a BT line attached not had one this century and it belongs to the 19th century anyway.

Not everyone can be that choosy, how do you suggest people get broadband with no cable in their area, or a good 3g signal, or maybe they don't deserve internet in your world?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everyone can be that choosy, how do you suggest people get broadband with no cable in their area, or a good 3g signal, or maybe they don't deserve internet in your world?
    No one deserves to suffer with less than 2Mb in my world especially as our estate can get 100Mb on Virgin Media cable not outmoded copper cabling from BT, they will be paying a similar price but getting a much poorer service, what would you do buy trash or go with the good stuff.
  • GKPGKP Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    As I've seen so many times before - Suck it and see.
    At one time I had ADSL equal to the OP and experienced such poor CS that I actually moved 2 miles to get 100Mb cable so I know the frustrations experienced.
    I tried everything to improve my connection and discovered a lot of smokescreens, BS and plain old fashioned lies had been fed to me. I take absolutely nothing for granted any more.
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/what_is_llu_.html

Companies like Sky have their own equipment in the exchange, and sometimes have their ownb backhaul from there to themselves.

Obviously from exchange to house is along the BT line, but having LLU in the excahnge can get you better rresults than using the standard ADSL (which Virgin will be) that is just a resold BT Product.

If the OP has VM's LLU service (most likely) then it will be using Cable & Wireless's equipment, not BT's. Like Sky they have their own haulback and equipment in BT's exchanges. I'm only guessing but if the performance is bad now then it could be a bad line rather than bad service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technix wrote: »
    If the OP has VM's LLU service (most likely) then it will be using Cable & Wireless's equipment, not BT's. Like Sky they have their own haulback and equipment in BT's exchanges. I'm only guessing but if the performance is bad now then it could be a bad line rather than bad service.
    Pretty much what I said above, crap BT line to property equates to crap service regardless of ISP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not technically correct. Sky do own their own equipment in the BT exchange but the fibre cables going into it are actually BT's, Sky rent capacity on the fibre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Not technically correct. Sky do own their own equipment in the BT exchange but the fibre cables going into it are actually BT's, Sky rent capacity on the fibre.
    You do realise that this person does not have the option of Fibre just copper so the line to his property is the one that matters which will have some lovely corrosion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I'm just mentioning about the fibre people seem to think Sky own going TO the exchange.

BT own the ducts and fibre going in and out of their exchanges, all of it.

I'm not talking about FTTC here I'm talking about the backhaul fibre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I know, I'm just mentioning about the fibre people seem to think Sky own going TO the exchange.

BT own the ducts and fibre going in and out of their exchanges, all of it.

I'm not talking about FTTC here I'm talking about the backhaul fibre.

I was under the impression that some ISP's had installed their own backhaul as well, and were not using BT's, maybe not in all exchanges, but in some areas?

I even thought that Easynet had done quite a few, which Sky then took over?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that some ISP's had installed their own backhaul as well, and were not using BT's, maybe not in all exchanges, but in some areas?

I even thought that Easynet had done quite a few, which Sky then took over?

Kind of, but it doesn't work in the way people think it does. Basically Sky lease backhaul fibre from BT, this fibre is inside BT's ducts and cable chambers and is installed, owned and serviced by BT Operate. Of course Sky have full control over how they use the fibre once they lease it from BT.

This is why if you look at the outside of BT's exchanges you'll only see manholes with BT on them (other than perhaps some Virgin Media ones, where their telephone service links in to BT's).

The equipment inside the exchange that provides the broadband service for Sky subscribers is fully owned and operated by Sky. Openreach engineers can access a small part of it to troubleshoot, any more than that would get referred on to Sky directly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like in the places that Sky DO have their own cabling, it might not be the thing you want

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21164871

Less than 2 Meg ? Might as well use pidgeons