Is the council right to demand that ivy removed from front of house ?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ken Mould aged 50 lives on a residential estate in Rugely, Staffordshire. Trouble is his house is completely hidden behind a wall of thick ivy.

Mr Mould has ignored council orders to remove the ivy from the front of the property, and has now been fined £1000 plus £300 costs, which he has 14 days to pay.

Is the council right, or are they being over zealous towards the owner of a private house ? Your thoughts.

link

Comments

• adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up-market?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Up-market?

:D I thought that
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The house looks a dump. If that is the outside, I dread to think what the inside is like.

I would also worry about his mental health.

The guy has issues.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's taken it kinda far. It looks like house shaped topiary!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a council house, fair enough. But it's up to him if it's covered in ivy or painted bright pink.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was ready to defend Mr Mould, but then I saw the photo. I can understand the neighbours being pissed off, it does look awful.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    :D I thought that

How odd - the OP has decided the house is no longer up-market.

I wonder what made him change his mind.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That place must be flipping overrun by spiders.
    Forum Member
    If it was a council house, fair enough. But it's up to him if it's covered in ivy or painted bright pink.

No it isn't. I would be making sure he cleaned all that ivy off, It damages the brick work and pulls down housing prices.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

Spot on. If some jobsworth from the council tells me to get rid of my ivy then they'd get told, in no uncertain terms, to go away and don't come back.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't. I would be making sure he cleaned all that ivy off, It damages the brick work and pulls down housing prices.
    Spare us the internet warrior routine. No you wouldn't be making sure of any such thing.
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's his house and if the ivy isn't damaging any other houses then it's nobody else's business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could have been a Mr Ivy getting told to remove all the mould
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    It's his house and if the ivy isn't damaging any other houses then it's nobody else's business.

I'm guessing from the council depertment giving the quotes that they are doing this under planning regulations which do make it other people's business.
    Forum Member
    Spare us the internet warrior routine. No you wouldn't be making sure of any such thing.

I do actually. My last target was the house opposite with its tatty old sofas dumped in the front garden.

I get things done.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do actually. My last target was the house opposite with its tatty old sofas dumped in the front garden.

I get things done.
    What an hero.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Dear me they own the house I would tell them to go forth and multiply the stuck up lot :mad:

Residents yesterday spoke of their “nightmare” neighbour.

One, who did not want to be named, said: “That thing brings down the house prices for all our street. It’s an eyesore.

why do they talk to them and then spout behind their back:mad:

“I don’t know how they can live in there. Whenever I see someone emerge from that mess I do a double-take.

it is not a mess they are plants you sad person:mad:
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How the neighbourhood looks is everyone's business. And if someone is suppressing the value of neighbouring properties it's definitely their business. I wouldn't want to live next door to an eyesore and I suspect most people in this thread wouldn't either, despite what they may post.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Its like the house is pretending to just be shrubbery :) I kind of like it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. he's detached, his house, his brick work
    2. it really doesn't
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks better than his neighbours. If you have a dull-looking house let stuff grow over it.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Because you own your own house do not mean you can do with it what you like
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is if its a conservation area, listed building or if there are any restrictions or covenants in the deeds.
    Forum Member
    1. he's detached, his house, his brick work
    2. it really doesn't

Well i know when I go looking for a new house to buy, I inspect the neighbours.

I look in the bins to see what they eat and how much alcohol they drink.

I check on their reading material.

I sniff clothes for signs of drug use and smoking.

Gardens have to be neat and tidy. No barking animals. Peace and quiet.

Houses have to look like houses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i know when I go looking for a new house to buy, I inspect the neighbours.

I look in the bins to see what they eat and how much alcohol they drink.

I check on their reading material.

I sniff clothes for signs of drug use and smoking.

Gardens have to be neat and tidy. No barking animals. Peace and quiet.

Houses have to look like houses.

:D:D:D:D you nearly had me there! Good wind up though