Options

Facebook to lose 80% of members by 2015?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
See here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2545645/Facebook-hits-Princeton-study-claiming-lose-80-users-year-telling-University-calculation-no-students-2021.html

Maybe we can get back to the real world. On my Facebook lots of people have not posted for months and profiles are being shut every day and many have not come back after a few days this time.

The end is near. It's Bebo volume two. Same trend happened. Social networking apps and instant messages a seem to be the next big thing. Facebooks policys are turning members away and I hear people talk about how the novelty of the news wall when you log in is wearing off.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was 2017? :confused:
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many fake users are there though? By that I mean extra accounts such as pets and totally made up accounts so that people can play all the various games by getting fake accounts to "help" instead of relying on real friends.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Facebook will without a shadow of a doubt become a thing of the past one day but I think there's life left in it yet. To be honest I wasn't expecting it to last as long as it has, it's certainly had a much longer shelf life than either Bebo or MySpace did. But clearly it has lasted and with over a billion active users every month it's not going anywhere just yet.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook is ruined, used to love it, and go on it religiously, but the memes, vines, pages, attention for likes, advertising, has made it soo different, its not the facebook of old!

Who uses timeline? not me, useless gimmick, sometimes it doesnt even work,

Should have kept it when it was classic, but they "fixed" it untill it broke!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I just logged in for after viewing this thread my last status update was about my R6 needing new rubber on the 30th June 2007.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ That was before the ability to comment on and 'Like' statuses. Think of all the attention and validation you've missed out on by not posting anything since! :p
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I'm more worried about the air running out by 2060.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2545645/Facebook-hits-Princeton-study-claiming-lose-80-users-year-telling-University-calculation-no-students-2021.html

Maybe we can get back to the real world. On my Facebook lots of people have not posted for months and profiles are being shut every day and many have not come back after a few days this time.

The end is near. It's Bebo volume two. Same trend happened. Social networking apps and instant messages a seem to be the next big thing. Facebooks policys are turning members away and I hear people talk about how the novelty of the news wall when you log in is wearing off.

Total bollox. The youngsters might leave it for the next "Big thing" so they can appear trendy and not use something that their parents and even grandparents use, but the rest of us will continue to use it for keeping in contact with friends and relatives all over the world, interact with bigger organisations (media, news channels, etc) and use it for their own businesses.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook's done very well in terms of making its founder and head people extremely rich. I can't see it lasting the whole of the internet's life though. Something else will come along and take its place as the new Facebook. I also have doubts about that graph that Facebook created that shows the decline of the university that criticised Facebook.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it suggested younger kids don't want to go on social media like FB because their parents can log on too watching their "every move"?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm more worried about the air running out by 2060.

I can't see that happening. If there was a limited but phenomenal supply of oxygen, it would have ran out centuries ago, maybe even in the last century with all the people there is on this planet. Trees exhale oxygen anyway.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    See here:

Yet the number of users is still going up. How do you explain that then?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end is near

No it isn't.

As I keep saying, 1.17 billion monthly active users says otherwise. For that to change, it will take an absolutely, for want of a better word, 'catastrophic' change in attitudes from those people for Facebook to "die".

The user base most likely will shift and change and a lot of teens probably will go wherever is popular, but to say Facebook's "end is near" is a tad presumptious.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Wasn't it suggested younger kids don't want to go on social media like FB because their parents can log on too watching their "every move"?

Which is a fair point. I am friends with both of my sons on FB but they also have accounts with other social networks (if that's what theyre called) such as instagram and a photo one which I don't even know the name of.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    google+ is going to take over :kitty:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is still life left in Facebook but it is evolving into a more of a adult network. Teenagers don't want to be on the same social network as their parents so they will find something that is new and incomprehensible to older people but those 40-somethings(including me) really can't be bothered to rebuild our connections elsewhere.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    google+ is going to take over :kitty:

I'd like to think so because fb has become too annoying to use anymore.

Thing is, google+ seems to be fairly dead in terms of activity.:(
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I think there is still life left in Facebook but it is evolving into a more of a adult network. Teenagers don't want to be on the same social network as their parents so they will find something that is new and incomprehensible to older people but those 40-somethings(including me) really can't be bothered to rebuild our connections elsewhere.

I like the way it's not down with the kids - I don't want their crappy farmville or status updates. Most of my friends (in their 30s) are on it and it's a great way of keeping in touch.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    No it isn't.

As I keep saying, 1.17 billion monthly active users says otherwise. For that to change, it will take an absolutely, for want of a better word, 'catastrophic' change in attitudes from those people for Facebook to "die".

The user base most likely will shift and change and a lot of teens probably will go wherever is popular, but to say Facebook's "end is near" is a tad presumptious.

theyre not real

theyre bots made up by FB to keep the figures up so the advertisers keep using FB

its a con for sucker investors

ask rupert murdoch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/10063498/Rupert-Murdoch-warns-Facebook-faces-same-fate-as-MySpace.html
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theyre not real

theyre bots made up by FB to keep the figures up so the advertisers keep using FB

i hate to be "that" guy, but .. proof ? link ?
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many profiles on FB are like duplicate old profiles? How many people make a new one and keep the old one? Loads.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good :):).
    I hate it :blush: !!! I haven't visited mine in ages.......
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many profiles on FB are like duplicate old profiles? How many people make a new one and keep the old one? Loads.

Yeah, probably like pooh, thousands.....out of the MILLIONS that use it. Nice try.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huh... my facebooks growing, not shrinking, 'da kidz' might have been first to use it but us old buggers have caught on and use it daily. all the groups im on are growing.

i like facebook, im on it several times a day, its useful, but i dont like minor tweeks they keep doing.