Cutting up at roundabouts

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
I see this everyday whilst I'm driving and it's really annoying me.

I'm approaching a roundabout (two lanes wide), I'm going straight on so I stay in the left as it's only one lane exits off the roundabout (this was how I was taught). The amount of times people have gone in the right hand lane and then cut me up on the roundabout to get into my lane is untold. Sometimes they will indicate and I will then slow down to let them in rather than have them crash into the front/side of my car. Other times they don't and I have to brake sharply.

I can't help but think people are doing this on purpose sometimes as they don't want to get stuck behind me (they're in a rush or whatever). Other times it seems it's just lack of consideration for others or lack of knowledge how to use a roundabout. My parents have said (and they're late 70s) that they were taught differently and that they could use any lane!

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Highway Code is quite unclear on this:
    Signals and position

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    - signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    - keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:
    - signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    - keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    - signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:
    - select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    - you should not normally need to signal on approach
    - stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

What you're referring to I'be put in bold (taking an intermediate exit). The HC states you should take "the appropriate lane" but doesn't state what the appropriate lane is - left or right hand lane.
    So I guess you either approach in the left, or approach in the right then indicate to take the exit once you've passed the 1st exit.

I find it more annoying when people approach in the left hand lane and are meaning to go straight on but instead of following the curve of the roundabout, instead just continue driving in a straight line so drive into the right lane temporarily. On many occasions I've had to brake because the halfwit on the left doesn't realise there are still 2 lanes going round the roundabout.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really annoys me too, and it seems to be on the increase.

There's a roundabout at our local Morrison's with two lanes leading onto a busy main road. Both lanes clearly marked with big white arrows - left and right. No ifs or buts. The number of times I've been turning left and someone from the right lane has cut me up is unbelievable.

Usually I just give way as I'd rather keep my car intact, but one day last week (really bad day) it happened and I'd had enough. Gave a blast on my horn, opened my window and shouted that he'd cause an accident driving like that. He didn't react well, but then he was driving like a selfish pig too, so what else would you expect? I don't know - what can you do? If there is an accident in these sort of circumstances, would the liability lie with the cutter-up?
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try driving in Telford. Loads of roundabouts, but the locals have no idea how to use them. Left turn from outside lane, cutting across traffic on inside lane? No problem!
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    If there's a queue going left and they're all indicating left I take the right hand lane to go straight on, unless there are lane markings. Not sure if that's correct but it gets me where I'm going quicker.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to cut people up at roundabouts but I'm now banned from going near playgrounds.
    Do I win £10?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    If there's a queue going left and they're all indicating left I take the right hand lane to go straight on, unless there are lane markings. Not sure if that's correct but it gets me where I'm going quicker.

I don't think it is. Plus what if someone who was turning left decided they actually were going to go straight on, turned their indicator off but at this point your in the right lane. You both enter the roundabout and suddenly one of you are going to have to give.

For the sake of saving a few seconds it's not worth it in my view.

I was always taught the left lane is for the left exit and any other up to and including straight on. The right lane is for any exit after straight on....if that makes sense. Unless the road markings say otherwise or there is no right exit. This one bugs me most, two lanes onto a roundabout with only a left or straight on exit. So really the left lane should be left exit only but the number of times drivers don't use common sense and cut me up as I'm in the right lane going straight on drives me insane. Plus the look they give as if I'm in the wrong. >:(
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    I think some people need to read the HC and relax.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that if your going straight on either lane approaching the roundabout will do. The 2 lanes will then have to filter in to one lane on the exit, but that shouldn't be an issue, should it :confused:

It's the drivers in the left hand lane who then turn right who are the menace >:(
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »
    I believe that if your going straight on either lane approaching the roundabout will do. The 2 lanes will then have to filter in to one lane on the exit, but that shouldn't be an issue, should it :confused:

It's the drivers in the left hand lane who then turn right who are the menace >:(

Quite right and it is not an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that if your going straight on either lane approaching the roundabout will do. The 2 lanes will then have to filter in to one lane on the exit, but that shouldn't be an issue, should it :confused:(

How do the two lanes on the roundabout filter into one lane on the exit? If two cars at the same time are going straight on and are side by side this would mean one of the cars is going to have to brake to let the other one exit first. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    How do the two lanes on the roundabout filter into one lane on the exit? If two cars at the same time are going straight on and are side by side this would mean one of the cars is going to have to brake to let the other one exit first. :confused:

Crikey your right. That would involve some very advanced driving skills.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What frustrates me is when two lanes are going 'straight over' a round about (e.g. approaching from 6PM position and both leaving at 12PM position) and you're in the right line but there's a gap in the left and a car going across in the other direction tries to join alongside you can cuts straight across.

Basically, what happened in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGIS3nHKDrA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Crikey your right. That would involve some very advanced driving skills.

OK then, who in that situation is suppose to stop on the roundabout to let the other car go first?
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed it would. I believe this is called filtering. It's not that hard.
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always believed the right hand lane for was turning right only and the left was for turning left or going straight ahead.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polomini wrote: »
    This really annoys me too, and it seems to be on the increase.

There's a roundabout at our local Morrison's with two lanes leading onto a busy main road. Both lanes clearly marked with big white arrows - left and right. No ifs or buts. The number of times I've been turning left and someone from the right lane has cut me up is unbelievable.

Usually I just give way as I'd rather keep my car intact, but one day last week (really bad day) it happened and I'd had enough. Gave a blast on my horn, opened my window and shouted that he'd cause an accident driving like that. He didn't react well, but then he was driving like a selfish pig too, so what else would you expect? I don't know - what can you do? If there is an accident in these sort of circumstances, would the liability lie with the cutter-up?

A cutter-up drove into the side of my car as he changed lanes. He was at fault, but apparently (according to my insurance) it's very difficult to prove fault at roundabouts, so they have done nothing and my car goes unrepaired because I'm not willing to pay out for damage done for someone else's careless driving. >:(>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed it would. I believe this is called filtering. It's not that hard.

And so say in this example the car in the right hand lane is the one going to filter onto the left lane before exiting, but the left hand lane is full of cars unwilling to let them filter on. Now this car has stopped on the right hand lane effectively blocking up the roundabout.
    Forum Member
    OK then, who in that situation is suppose to stop on the roundabout to let the other car go first?

Even If no one (legally) uses the right lane at your 6oclock there will still be cars entering at your 3oclock who want to leave at 12. They will (also correctly) be in the right hand lane and will have to filter into one lane with you.

You have to be able to handle such situations. If you cannot well,,,,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even If no one uses the right lane at your 6oclock there will still be cars enterting at your 3oclock who want to leave at 12. They will (correctly) be in the right hand lane and will have to filter into one lane with you.

You have to be able to handle such situations. If you cannot well,,,,

Yes, but they in theory shouldn't be side by side with you should they? If they are it means you've entered the roundabout with traffic coming towards you on your right hand side and could cut them up like that video posted above.

By not being side by side one car can easily filter onto another lane. My point was two cars entering at the same time from the same entrance and going out the same exit which only has one lane will cause problems.
    Forum Member
    Yes, but they in theory shouldn't be side by side with you should they? If they are it means you've entered the roundabout with traffic coming towards you on your right hand side and could cut them up like that video posted above.

By not being side by side one car can easily filter onto another lane. My point was two cars entering at the same time from the same entrance and going out the same exit which only has one lane will cause problems.

Then you are saying that people driving according to the HC causes you problems.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it more annoying when people approach in the left hand lane and are meaning to go straight on but instead of following the curve of the roundabout, instead just continue driving in a straight line so drive into the right lane temporarily.
    Yes, that is annoying and dangerous. Also annoying are the speed merchants who overtake on approach then drop back to lane one (often into my deccel zone) and come to an unnecessary halt. I don't drive fast but I can assess a roundabout from the distance and rarely have to come to a halt. Then along comes some heavy footed prat and screws it up for me.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it more annoying when people approach in the left hand lane and are meaning to go straight on but instead of following the curve of the roundabout, instead just continue driving in a straight line so drive into the right lane temporarily.
    Yes, that is annoying and dangerous. Also annoying are the speed merchants on dual carriageways who overtake on approach then drop back to lane one (often into my deccel zone) and come to an unnecessary halt. I don't drive fast but I can assess a roundabout from the distance and rarely have to come to a halt. Then along comes some heavy footed prat and screws it up for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you are saying that people driving according to the HC causes you problems.

Where does it actually say if your going straight on you can use both lanes?
    Forum Member
    Where does it actually say if your going straight on you can use both lanes?

See post #2

Signals and position

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    - signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    - keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:
    - signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    - keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:
    - select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    - you should not normally need to signal on approach
    - stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    The Highway Code is quite unclear on this:

What you're referring to I'be put in bold (taking an intermediate exit). The HC states you should take "the appropriate lane" but doesn't state what the appropriate lane is - left or right hand lane.
    So I guess you either approach in the left, or approach in the right then indicate to take the exit once you've passed the 1st exit.

I find it more annoying when people approach in the left hand lane and are meaning to go straight on but instead of following the curve of the roundabout, instead just continue driving in a straight line so drive into the right lane temporarily. On many occasions I've had to brake because the halfwit on the left doesn't realise there are still 2 lanes going round the roundabout.

You're right the HC is unclear and yet I've had two different driving instructors (one when I was 17 and passed and one when I was 35 and wanted refreshers after not driving for 15yrs) who taught me that if your exit is at 12o'clock you should be in the left hand lane and if after that you should be in the right. So I guess my question should be, why are DI's teaching this?