Jeremy Paxman Quits Newsnight

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw that - more fishing then.

Will they bother with a main presenter I wonder or just rotate?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They'll probably axe the programme now because the viewing figures are low.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will give them a excuse to axe Newsnight and show BBC3/BBC4 stuff in the slot.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd become cliched and boring anyway. His insulting and baiting guests was so obvious you'd see through it a mile off
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right decision and right time to move on IMHO. He's continuing with uni challenge and I'm sure he'll have other projects lined up too.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Isn't he getting in to the documentary lark?
    He'll probably do more of them, much to Dan Snow's annoyance.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will give them a excuse to axe Newsnight and show BBC3/BBC4 stuff in the slot.

That's what I was thinking.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Jeremy isn't on the programme is usually pointless. Someone with a tired old hobby horse droning on and on for 20 mins then another one for the same amount of time.
  • greatkingratgreatkingrat Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    The BBC Trust wouldn't allow the BBC to scrap Newsnight, they might make some changes but they will still need to provide a news programme that is more in depth than the main BBC1 bulletins.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    He'd become cliched and boring anyway. His insulting and baiting guests was so obvious you'd see through it a mile off

Agreed, he just seem to enjoy being rude for the sake of it, rather than get any sort of insight or revelation from the person he was interviewing.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He cannot need the money. I wish some of the other old stagers would step down as well and give younger people a chance. John Humphrys springs to mind and there are others.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably this is why the BBC lured Laura Kuenssberg back after she left the BBC?
    I wonder if Paxman's decision was influenced by the BBC decision to cut the pay of their talent, last year.
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Presumably everything you know about Newsnight is what you've read on the forum? I don't recall Paxo ever insulting anyone, and his robust. tenacious, style and not taking BS for an answer needs to be encouraged, in the age of weasel politicians, not criticised. If only there were more presenters like him.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Agreed, he just seem to enjoy being rude for the sake of it, rather than get any sort of insight or revelation from the person he was interviewing.

I think sometimes the style of interviewing he employed was actually less likely to get answers from the interviewee because they would become defensive from the start because of his aggression. The softly-softly approach quite often works more effectively, because the interviewee becomes more relaxed and is more likely to let something slip out that they perhaps didn't want.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky will make him an offer he cant refuse.
    Boulton is well past his best
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't mind Eddie Mair as the main replacement.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Ferrari ?

The BBC were told last July. He wants to go to bed a reasonable time like everyone else.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC Trust wouldn't allow the BBC to scrap Newsnight, they might make some changes but they will still need to provide a news programme that is more in depth than the main BBC1 bulletins.

Have a news in depth review show on BBC4 once a week at 23:00 to tick this box.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Jeremy isn't on the programme is usually pointless. Someone with a tired old hobby horse droning on and on for 20 mins then another one for the same amount of time.

Yes but that does seem to be the new editor's plan! Ian Katz wants to dumb it down and drive it on to the commercial success of his previous employer the Guardian.

Oh hang on a minute....
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newnight will have a complete overhaul and will be moved to the BBC News Channel. It will eventually fade away into the back and beyond of aunties archive shows.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, Ian Katz.

Idiot.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And in the week when RT has an interview with the Newsnight editor Ian Katz saying Paxman is "really important. He absolutely leads the show. He's brilliant at what he does."
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    It's easy to believe that it was actually his resignation but could he have been asked to by the beeb? Too subversive, too opinionated, too agressive a style etc?

I agree it seems unlikely but isn't that how good PR works?
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    And in the week when RT has an interview with the Newsnight editor Ian Katz saying Paxman is "really important. He absolutely leads the show. He's brilliant at what he does."

I was just reading that this morning, before I even learned he was leaving. I also noticed that all Katz could talk about was ratings.

Paxo's looked miserable ever since Katz came on board with his dopey gimmicks. Wonder what went on behind the scenes.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Sky will make him an offer he cant refuse.
    Boulton is well past his best

Perhaps he's going to the Today Show?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Isn't he getting in to the documentary lark?
    He'll probably do more of them, much to Dan Snow's annoyance.
    Didn't Dan Snow only get the job because his father (a certain Peter Snow) shoe horned him in?