Wage negotiations

2»

Comments

• thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone who gave advice. Just a quick update that I've had my review, and went in prepared to argue the value of my abilities in the job market, the amount it would require from the budget, and the level of commitment I'd already shown to the role etc... and it was all entirely unnecessary, because they'd already decided to award me a 20% increase, and extra holiday!

I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime, but needless to say, I'm also going to make concerted efforts to make staying here comfortable for me. I've been trying to take an attitude where work doesn't stress me so much, which seems to be helping. I was praised in my review for the way I handled situations that stress me and an admission that they handled certain situations badly (bosses being incredibly rude and dismissive of my work that eventually proved to be highly sucessful, rated extremely well by customers and other staff), so it's possible that I can continue to have a positive impact upon their attitude. And I can't deny to being tempted by the money - my previous salary wasn't worth the stress, but this one may well be!

Thanks once more for the advice (and apologies to anyone who responds to the first post without seeing this one!).
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone who gave advice. Just a quick update that I've had my review, and went in prepared to argue the value of my abilities in the job market, the amount it would require from the budget, and the level of commitment I'd already shown to the role etc... and it was all entirely unnecessary, because they'd already decided to award me a 20% increase, and extra holiday!

I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime, but needless to say, I'm also going to make concerted efforts to make staying here comfortable for me. I've been trying to take an attitude where work doesn't stress me so much, which seems to be helping. I was praised in my review for the way I handled situations that stress me and an admission that they handled certain situations badly (bosses being incredibly rude and dismissive of my work that eventually proved to be highly sucessful, rated extremely well by customers and other staff), so it's possible that I can continue to have a positive impact upon their attitude. And I can't deny to being tempted by the money - my previous salary wasn't worth the stress, but this one may well be!

Thanks once more for the advice (and apologies to anyone who responds to the first post without seeing this one!).

Not a real medically defined stress then,basically just a "poor me" self delusional victim attitude then,because your job is not the fun party you would like it to be
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Not a real medically defined stress then,basically just a "poor me" self delusional victim attitude then,because your job is not the fun party you would like it to be

Hah, pretty much. If she was truly stressed at her job they could pay her a million a week and it would still be enough to affect her health, money wouldn't change a thing.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pay-rise - god whats that I havnt had one in the last 3 years.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone,

If your job is making you ill and as sh*t as you say it is then no amount of money would keep you there. Obviously it isn't as bad as you are making it out to be if you are prepared to stay.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I despair, really, well, at least she's indicated that she may still leave, but I doubt it. That's what these blood-sucking companies do: bribe you with more money, knowing that everyone has their price, and then go back to beating you around and treating you like shit. Amazed that the OP hasn't learnt from this. Good luck to her, I say, but, as we all know, history repeats itself.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Congratulations on having your work recognised with such a hefty pay increase OP :)

It can make a huge difference to how you feel about a job if you actually feel as though your work has been recognised and from what you say that is what has happened along with recognition that they haven't always handled things well. I hope you find that is enough to make you feel you want to stay in the medium term at least and if not, well you are going into the job market armed with a much higher starting point for salaries.
  • made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

As some of you may remember, I've been pretty unhappy at my job for a while now. I'm currently planning to leave (provided my boyfriend does not lose his job), as I've been suffering stress related migraines and headaches for around 4 months now and I have one rule - if a job actually gets me put on medication, it's time to look elsewhere!

Just got some quick questions about an upcoming pay review, which will almost certainly happen before I give notice. I want to get the salary I deserve, no matter how long I'll actually stick with it. I've anonymised the following figures, but they're approximately correct.

My salary is 25k. I expect a minimum of the standard 10% payrise, which would take me to 27.5k. I believe I deserve at least 14%, taking me to 29k. I am doing the work competantly, including picking up the slack for others, and have met or exceeded all goals. The work is also bringing in the company 150k per year, of which I'm using just 13% on completing the work. I'm currently paid below industry standard for someone in my position, and have several opportunites to earn more than 27.5k, so there's no reason to accept it. If they were to hire in expertise, they would not be able to spend less than 28k I believe.

1) If I get offered the desired 29k anyway, should I still negotiate? A higher salary would give me better negotiation with a new employer, but I would have a harder time justifying it and I would feel the 29k salary fair anyway.

2) They're a very paternalistic/maternalistic company, and they tend to presume a lot about employee finances and always try and decide what's best for people rather than giving them a choice. They've given me a hellish time recently, and I'm considering somewhat deviantly exploiting this tendency. They assume my boyfriend is on megabucks as he's an accountant (but only earns 2k more than me), and as I mentioned, he may lose his job. I was thinking of dropping hints about this before my review, to see if it helps at all! I know they kind of assume that because I'm a girl and he's an accountant that I'll just be looked after on his salary, and they do seem to 'cater' to guys they see as providers. One the one hand, I'd feel guilty about being manipulative, but on the other, they wouldn't be susceptible to it if they didn't hold these attitudes in the first place.

Thanks for reading and any advice in advance.

Wow I would do anything for a pay rise of even 5%!

I have just have a pay regrade declined. I hit the top of my pay spine 8 years ago there for no more increases despite meeting appraisal targets every year. All I get is what the whole company gets is about 1 -2 % every April.

Guess I am stuck on 22k until I leave >:(

Good luck if you get it!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Seth1 wrote: »
    I despair, really, well, at least she's indicated that she may still leave, but I doubt it. That's what these blood-sucking companies do: bribe you with more money, knowing that everyone has their price, and then go back to beating you around and treating you like shit. Amazed that the OP hasn't learnt from this. Good luck to her, I say, but, as we all know, history repeats itself.

That's a bit strong,you do realise that work isn't supposed to be a fun time party.at the employees convenience,right?