Options

What will be the first supermarket to go out of buisness?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The grocery war can't go on forever and sooner or later one or two might go out the game.

Which one will it be?

Co-operative Food?
Sainsburys
Tesco
Morrisons
Asda
Aldi
Lidl

For me I have to go for Morrisons and Co-operative Food. Tesco will struggle along but they are the largest UK outfit and would be in a good position to buy up all the Co-operative Food local stores and dominate for decades. Asda would easily rule the large floor space market plus Tesco aswell in exiting locations and Sainsburys are safe, too many good local stores, slick, good profits and are opening up Netto. Morrisons will be the new Safeway of the 2010's.

Comments

• Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I don't think about supermarkets as much as you do it seems...
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Non, they will all still be around, change yes go under no
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrisons have just built a mega store here in a prime location with car park underneath.
    You should tip them off.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's easy. The Co-op's gasping it's last breath now.:cry:
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The grocery war can't go on forever and sooner or later one or two might go out the game.

Which one will it be?

Co-operative Food?
    Sainsburys
    Tesco
    Morrisons
    Asda
    Aldi
    Lidl

For me I have to go for Morrisons and Co-operative Food. Tesco will struggle along but they are the largest UK outfit and would be in a good position to buy up all the Co-operative Food local stores and dominate for decades. Asda would easily rule the large floor space market plus Tesco aswell in exiting locations and Sainsburys are safe, too many good local stores, slick, good profits and are opening up Netto. Morrisons will be the new Safeway of the 2010's.

If it isn't this it's rubbish music TV channels. What gives, are you obsessed with things going out of business?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    If it isn't this it's rubbish music TV channels. What gives?

Some of them will close aswell. :)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The op is known for strange threads..
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which one will it be?

Co-operative Food?
    Sainsburys
    Tesco
    Morrisons
    Asda
    Aldi
    Lidl

Why do you post so much about places going out of business?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    If it isn't this it's rubbish music TV channels. What gives, are you obsessed with things going out of business?
    The op is known for strange threads..

Seems so. Poor old Homebase are on the OP's gallows too, as we speak!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1995051 :o
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Homebase Hits Android TV' will be the first supermarket phone music channel to close down. Linkinpark875 will be the first to obsessively post threads about it until it does close down and even if it doesn't.

Then when it eventually does close down he will complain because there's nowhere to find 80's Indie iPhones made by NME Magazine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Seems so. Poor old Homebase are on the OP's gallows too, as we speak!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1995051 :o

Homebase might be selling up. Seems a logical thread and wouldn't be blinked at had it been anybody else who posted it.

Maybe people don't like "closing down" threads but no need to be naïve, supermarkets are quite capable of going bust and maybe people don't remember Presto Food, Safeway, Kwiksave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    'Homebase Hits Android TV' will be the first supermarket phone music channel to close down. Linkinpark875 will be the first to obsessively post threads about it until it does close down and even if it doesn't.

Then when it eventually does close down he will complain because there's nowhere to find 80's Indie iPhones made by NME Magazine.

Trolling I see.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First name that came to mind when I read the question?

Morrisons.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Which one will it be?

Co-operative Food?
    Sainsburys
    Tesco
    Morrisons
    Asda
    Aldi
    Lidl

That puts you at odds with what you said in your 'Tesco Failing' thread.

Asda has 523 stores, Morrisons have 455 and Co-operative Food seem to be in smaller towns and have much smaller stores.

Tesco have 6,351 stores looking at Wikipedia they have half of Asda's stores with the Extra massive shops and the Superstores are about the same size as Asda's normal ones anyway. So they have double the normal supermarket size of most. The rest of the list is smaller Metro stores.

But even near me Tesco is opening up all the time. No wonder they are slowing down expanding now. Also they are more expensive these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    First name that came to mind when I read the question?

Morrisons.

Massive job loses and they are cutting prices. They are the "4th" one on the market so I would agree. People mentioned new Morrisons stores opening but Woolies opened ones a year before they went bust in 2007.

Anybody watch Supermarket Wars on Channel 4?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homebase might be selling up. Seems a logical thread and wouldn't be blinked at had it been anybody else who posted it.

Maybe people don't like "closing down" threads but no need to be naïve, supermarkets are quite capable of going bust and maybe people don't remember Presto Food, Safeway, Kwiksave.

Do yourself a favour, be a liquor saver.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trolling I see.

How's your 'Bring back Q & NME TV' campaign going?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That puts you at odds with what you said in your 'Tesco Failing' thread.

Come on I posted that thread two years ago and my opinion can change. Tesco by no means are out the woods yet but they have a slicker business than Morrisons have been late on the market with convenience stores and online.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    As long as it's not asda, tesco, morrisons or iceland, I don't care about the rest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was a joke?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    How's your 'Bring back Q & NME TV' campaign going?

How about post something relevant to the thread or chat about it in the broadcasting section? Just because you don't want to engage in a discussion about which supermarket is in the best state doesn't mean you can just come along and post a personal remark as it's a DS poster you dislike.

It's worrying you would actually watch the dross on UK Music channels, amazed the thread is still running since I go elsewhere for music tv and the viewing figures tell the same picture.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which one will it be?

Co-operative Food?
    Sainsburys
    Tesco
    Morrisons
    Asda
    Aldi
    Lidl

On what basis do you make these assumptions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linkin, did you know that Kwiksave is actually back from the dead in certain places?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwik_Save
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    It was a joke?:D

Co-operative are axing 200 "large" stores:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2574251/Co-op-eyes-convenience-200-large-supermarkets-face-axe.html

Are you saying all these job loses are a joke? It's a pretty serious discussion, ruined by silly remarks.

Why not leave the thread for people who actually wish to discuss supermarkets.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Come on I posted that thread two years ago and my opinion can change. Tesco by no means are out the woods yet but they have a slicker business than Morrisons have been late on the market with convenience stores and online.
    My apologies, I saw it was active today and didn't check the date.

( Hey and I've just noticed I even posted in it at the time!)