Options

Paying emergency tax on a second job?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody know how much emergency tax I'd pay if I took on a second job if both jobs were minimum wage still under 30 hours per week? Would it be a full rate of emergency tax on the lower hours job?

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your best option would be to arrange for your personal allowance to be split between the two jobs. If you speak to your tax office they should be able to issue each employer with an appropriate tax code.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody know how much emergency tax I'd pay if I took on a second job if both jobs were minimum wage still under 30 hours per week? Would it be a full rate of emergency tax on the lower hours job?

the amount of tax would depend on how many hours you worked, but you wouldn't normally be on the emergency tax code on your second job, but be on the BR basic rate tax code and have your standard full allowance on your first job unless you request HMRC to split your tax allowance between both jobs. it would depend on how many hours you did and if the jobs were permanent or all year round or fixed term/temporary as to whether that would be a good idea or not as the standard 1000L tax allowance at minimum wage is close to 30 hours a week, so you may be as well to keep your full allowance at one job if you work about 30 hours a week or sometimes get a bonus or work more than that, but HMRC may be able to advise you the best thing to do if you contact them