Options

Quantifying and dealing with low tire pressue (car)

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
As I was driving past a Mosque someone has just shouted out " 'ear misses, your front nearside tire pressure is low, not flat but too low, get yourself to a garage to have them top it up and then check a weak later for possible punctures"

I wanted to point out its "week" not "weak" (roll eyes), but I was driving too fast.

Anyway....
To me a tire is either pumped up or flat. How can I tell if its in between? If it is low, how can I rectify it?

I hope the answer is
1) To check pressure get this from Amazon, here is the link ...
2) your air pressure should be .....
3) Top it up with air. It is free at supermarket garages.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bump.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    What do you mean driving too fast? were you creating a post whilst driving ?

Anyway, go to a garage and top up with air/check the pressure. Normally free. The pumps have a built in pressure sensor so you can top it up to the correct pressure. The correct pressure when the tyre is cold should be in your manual or usually on a sticker on the inside sill of the drivers door. For most cars it's between 30-35 psi.

A tyre can leak slowly and it's a good idea to check the pressures regularly anyway. It's quite hard to tell visually. On my car the front tyres look squashed down a bit more than my rear even though they are the same pressure as the engine is in the front.
    If it's visually low then the tyre will look squashed down a lot more than usual.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you bump your thread after only ONE minute of posting?!

Just keep an eye on it. Could be a slow puncture. A garage can check this by spraying liquid over the tyre and seeing if there are any air bubbles appearing.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I wanted to point out its "week" not "weak" (roll eyes), but I was driving too fast.

Wow! :o That's an amazing gift, being able to detect a misspelling in a spoken word.

By the way, unless you are American, I want to point out it's "tyre" not "tire". :D
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    OP Have you considered getting a tyre pressure monitoring system fitted to your car?

And for anyone that's interested all new model cars introduced since November 2012 and all cars built from November 2014 must have tyre pressure monitoring systems installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    OP Have you considered getting a tyre pressure monitoring system fitted to your car?

Interesting. Do you know if any of the "high street" garages fit them. I notice
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TyrePal-compact-pressure-monitoring-system/dp/B00DWU473G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410086431&sr=8-1&keywords=tyrepal#cm_cr_dpwidget
    and that it can be fitted at home, but I would much prefer it be taken care of for me.

(i can not go above £300)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a problem with all four tyres losing air, at various rates.

At the start of the year, I took the car to a local tyre place, who said it was minor corrosion around the rims of the alloy wheels.

They took the wheels off, removed the tyres and cleaned up the rims. New valves, Put them back together. Total cost £92, and no problem since.

And I agree the OP has a very rare auditory skill. Not to mention that she must have been driving very slowly. And what does the Mosque have to do with it?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. Do you know if any of the "high street" garages fit them. I notice
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TyrePal-compact-pressure-monitoring-system/dp/B00DWU473G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410086431&sr=8-1&keywords=tyrepal#cm_cr_dpwidget
    and that it can be fitted at home, but I would much prefer it be taken care of for me.

(i can not go above £300)

There's a very cheap system that any driver can use for free - they're called EYES.

You should check you tyre pressures at least every week - if a tyre has a history of running down, then check it daily. I do a visual check of my tyres every morning - nothing worse than driving off with a soft tyre...... you damage the walls and hey presto, that's £140+ for a new tyre (on my car anyway).

Asda charge 20p to use their air compressor, but you can buy one that runs off your cigarette lighter socket from less then £25. Amazon is your friend.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I was driving past a Mosque someone has just shouted out " 'ear misses, your front nearside tire pressure is low, not flat but too low, get yourself to a garage to have them top it up and then check a weak later for possible punctures"

Anyway....
    To me a tire is either pumped up or flat. How can I tell if its in between? If it is low, how can I rectify it?

I hope the answer is
    1) To check pressure get this from Amazon, here is the link ...
    2) your air pressure should be .....
    3) Top it up with air. It is free at supermarket garages.
    How do you shout out "weak" or "week"?

Why the roll eyes?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit that as wind-ups go, this one was pretty inventive. :D
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I have to admit that as wind-ups go, this one was pretty inventive. :D

Really? It's a ridiculous effort.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    How do you shout out "weak" or "week"?

Why the roll eyes?

It could come down to local dialect I suppose, the sound of "week" vs "wick".

Or it could have been in a foreign language and we are getting the translation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    There's a very cheap system that any driver can use for free - they're called EYES.

You should check you tyre pressures at least every week - if a tyre has a history of running down, then check it daily. I do a visual check of my tyres every morning - nothing worse than driving off with a soft tyre...... you damage the walls and hey presto, that's £140+ for a new tyre (on my car anyway).

Asda charge 20p to use their air compressor, but you can buy one that runs off your cigarette lighter socket from less then £25. Amazon is your friend.
    Your right I should use my EYES, and check every weak, However along with all my friends I don't. I rely on the garage to do that every year.

For decades, every year I used to go to the garage and ask for a full service thinking that's what you needs to be done. Literally it was last year when I found out there is a difference between MOT and service. Not only am I clueless about topics I post on, but it extends to cars. I offer no apologies just a shrug of the shoulders and a can't be bothered grunt. The only thing I care about is cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Not to mention that she must have been driving very slowly.
    The Mosque was by a roundabout.
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your right I should use my EYES, and check every weak, However along with all my friends I don't. I rely on the garage to do that every year.

For decades, every year I used to go to the garage and ask for a full service thinking that's what you needs to be done. Literally it was last year when I found out there is a difference between MOT and service. Not only am I clueless about topics I post on, but it extends to cars. I offer no apologies just a shrug of the shoulders and a can't be bothered grunt. The only thing I care about is cats.

Your car comes with a manual. In there you will find what your tyre pressure should be. Go to Asda, put 20p in the machine, and put it at the pressure it says in the manual.

If a bulb goes out in your house do you call an electrician?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your car comes with a manual. In there you will find what your tyre pressure should be. Go to Asda, put 20p in the machine, and put it at the pressure it says in the manual.

If a bulb goes out in your house do you call an electrician?

It does come with a manual but I am concerned that I wont get the nozzle on properly and as I'm putting it on the air in inner tube will come out.

I'll give it a go.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    When you put the nozzle on a little air will hiss out but just push a bit more to complete the seal with the nozzle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does come with a manual but I am concerned that I wont get the nozzle on properly and as I'm putting it on the air in inner tube will come out.

I'll give it a go.

Does your car even have an inner tube?? Most dont nowadays!! Its extremely difficult to not get it on properly, you just need to push it on the nozzle...
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll give it a go.

You're definitely on a wind up...

And you shouldn't be driving if you thought that tyres should be checked once a year by a garage.

Shocked.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

I'll give it a go.

Do you know how to change a wheel if you get a punture, do you know how to check oil and water, do you know how to fill the water bottle that feeds the window wipers. All these are so basic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Do you know how to change a wheel if you get a punture, do you know how to check oil and water, do you know how to fill the water bottle that feeds the window wipers. All these are so basic

While I agree in principle, I have to say a hell of a lot of people dont know about these. The driving tests dont focus on the physical aspects of the car, and most of what I learned in 10 years has come from my first couple of bangers. As most modern cars are a lot more reliable it doesnt surprise me people only know what the garage tells them, and rely massively on MOTs and breakdown cover.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    While I agree in principle, I have to say a hell of a lot of people dont know about these. The driving tests dont focus on the physical aspects of the car, and most of what I learned in 10 years has come from my first couple of bangers. As most modern cars are a lot more reliable it doesnt surprise me people only know what the garage tells them, and rely massively on MOTs and breakdown cover.

You have to know some of these things now to be able to pass the driving theory test today, without knowing basic things like this you cannot pass your driving test. http://toptests.co.uk/show-me-tell-me-mock-test/
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed that *anyone* thinks it OK to leave it a whole year between tyre pressure checks. Incredible. Like many on this thread I have a look around the tyres almost every time I use the car, just in case a tyre is showing signs of low pressure. It makes sense, as a low or flat tyre will cause steering and braking problems, instability and damage to wheel and tyre.
    I also carry a foot pump just in case.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mosque was by a roundabout.

Then you should have been concentrating on the traffic around the roundabout.
    It does come with a manual but I am concerned that I wont get the nozzle on properly and as I'm putting it on the air in inner tube will come out.............

You can get them with a screw thread rather than the "thumb press" type. The only problem is, there are a lot of these from China, and the quality varies. I have one, but the "set the pressure" doesn't work properly.

When Which? tested them, I think they were given a good one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you shouldn't be driving if you thought that tyres should be checked once a year by a garage.

Shocked.
    Where did you learn your skills?
    At school we learnt about suck squeeze bang blow, but not how to check oil, tires or whatever.

My car has all the things you should check in yellow, I now never do because when I take the oil out, its hard to read what the level is as its all covered in oil! I rely on the sensors telling me if there is a problem. I guess that's why i'm interested in the remote tire monitoring bit of kit. When something goes red or starts to beep, I take it the man in car hospital.

I don't know how cars work, and I really I don't care how they work.

Would you know what to do if you come home and you cat is rolling around on the floor winking at you? Didn't think so, because your skill set does not involve cats, in the same way mine does not involve cars. By the way the correct answer is shock your cat out of the fit by repeatedly submerging him (no more than a second at a time!) in a bucket full of icey water